Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Marks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Folks

I'm slowly gathering the bits for my Mauser "kurz" project in 250 Savage, and am currently compiling instructions to the 'smith.

One question that is not clear to me - does one have the barrel-makers name stamped/engraved onto the barrel (possibly beneath the inlet line) ??

Normally this would be a no brainer and I wouldn't bother, but this is (for me anyway) a high end project and I want to ensure that the provenance is correct and that I can get fair value later for the bucks I am setting out on a Keiger cut rifled barrel. Any thoughts ?

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Krieger doesn't stamp their name on the side of their barrels, so you won't have a problem with that.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 828 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not suggesting that you do this, it's merely what I do myself.

barrel origin/maker followed by installer's name on the first line
special barrel features (if any) like twist, bore size, etc on second line
date, chambering and special chambering info (if any) on third line

I hand-stamp all this on the bottom of the barrel at the 6:00 position under the chamber area under the stock line. Then caliber/chambering is stamped or engraved at the 10:00 position over the chamber area, visible just above the stock line.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote