New
Find
Notify
Tools

Better Photography
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since joining this forum earlier this year I've seen exemplary photos of custom rifles and have been challenged to take better photos myself. I've since ditched the blue table cloth on a folding table and have rigged up a tri-pod with brass rods that suspends the rifle away from the back drop. I've purchased different muslins and a stand to hold them. I've upgraded to a mid-level DSLR (D3400), and use a tripod to steady the camera. But I'm still not satisfied with the picture quality. Any suggestions? I am taking the photos outside since I don't really have any more space in the shop and realize this could be part of the problem. I've attached pics of the last shoot. It's a .275 Rigby build. Please keep the Cerakote bashing to a minimum Smiler Customer's desire.

Posts: 581 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've been tempted to do that as well. The best photos seem to be the ones with no shadows.
This means the light has to come from everywhere.

using the sun you could try an opaque sheet/vellum between your light source and subject and/or a reflector under your subject.

Posts: 6416 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just googled "opaque sheer" on accident and got images I wasn't expecting SmilerAppears to be a type of undergarment.

Looks like I can get opaque ABS sheets on Amazon for fairly cheap. I'll give that a try. Thank You!

Posts: 581 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please keep the Cerakote bashing to a old minimum

OK no problem - however blaser bashing is still warranted Big Grin

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Lindy2 for all of the pointers. A few questions:
1. What do you mean by an interesting background? Should it be some kind of pattern or just a different solid color?
2. You've given a lot of instruction for how to produce the proper light with different sources of flash. Are these only if shooting inside or would they also be beneficial for outdoor shoots when shooting in shady areas?

I'm starting to learn the importance of shooting fine guns in their best light. My graphics guy is constantly berating me for giving him poor photographs when he's working on brochures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advice above.

I use a white background, and extend it at a 45 degree angle forward well above the rifle, and below the rifle I also extend it out at a 45 degree angle. With the flash on the camera, I turn the flash vertical, have a 45 degree bounce attachment. The bounce attachment softens somewhat, and both the 45 degree angle extensions help minimize the shadows on the backdrop. A solution that will not produce as good a result as the recommendations above, but better then and average photography seen in many forums.

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Have to get rid of the big shadows. That's a minimum.

Here's a good, non-distracting background from a recent post here:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1019521/m/9051011032

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3050 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
By interesting background I mean something that is in harmony with the subject. YOu will often see some minor accessories (my wife calls them excessories) shown along with a very fine rifle, like a fine knife and some fine hunting clothes, or things like that. But if you are talking about just a plain background you want to make sure it isn't distracting. Your light gray background is distracting because it has a lot of wrinkles in it. Those wrinkles take my eye off the gun. A color more in harmony with the gun would also be better. Look at some of Gunmaker's photos of his exquisite rifles. I think he shoots on a green background and then adds in his background after the shot using photoshop He does an excellent job of it, although in my opinion he sometimes has too many blown highlights that are distracting.

With regard to usinging flash outdoors, YES. Its referred to as fill in flash, and by all means you should use it if it helps your photo. The trick though is to get the proportion of ambient light and flash light correct. Light is additive. A fill in flash will not have as much effect on parts of the photo that are already receiving a lot of light as it will have on the parts of the photo that are not receiving adequate light. You want to use just enough fill in flash to lighten the shadows so you can comfortably see detail in them, but without adding so much light that you blow out the whole photograph by overexposing it. If that happens then you lose detail in the highlight areas as they turn plain white, which is also very distracting. The goal is to avoid black shadows and blown out highlights on your gun photos. You want shadows and you want highlights, but you don't want them to be so extreme that there is no detail in there.

With regard to highlights, you are not going to be able to completely eliminate them when you are shooting a reflective surface, such as gun steel. So you might get some areas of the steel showing a pure white. A little bit of that is okay, as it give interest. But too much of it becomes very distracting as much as do black shadow. The way to eliminate some of that is to remember that the "reflective" surface is actually showing what it is reflecting. Or in other words, don't shoot a reflective surface where there is a lot of white because the surface is "seeing" the white an reflecting it back. It shows up in the photo as white, and without detail. Again, a little bit of that is okay, but if you have a lot of it you can sometimes get rid of some of it by using what they call gobo cards to block or soften some of the light that is reflecting off the reflective surface.

I see what you mean by interesting. I've seen photos with knives, zebra skin, etc and really like the look of those.
Thanks for all the advice. Looks like I have quite a few more photo related purchases to make in order to get the quality up to snuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Austin Hunter. It was actually Butch's photos that got me going on the photo quality kick. Beautiful photos and rifle.
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
Have to get rid of the big shadows. That's a minimum.

Here's a good, non-distracting background from a recent post here:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1019521/m/9051011032

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
stick in a can, my favorite photo tool
as well as walmart polyester shower curtain on a frame as a soft box.
This video shows it well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...8CD82626F127&index=4

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1841 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gunmaker! That looks like an incredibly simple setup. I will be giving this a try. I also noticed he was using a roll of paper as a backdrop. That should work better than the polyester muslin I've been using since it won't wrinkle. I ironed the crap out of the muslin but it still was full of wrinkles.
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
stick in a can, my favorite photo tool
as well as walmart polyester shower curtain on a frame as a soft box.
This video shows it well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...8CD82626F127&index=4

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Try keeping the background way behind the subject. I usually use a gray or black twin bed sheet with a piece of conduit through the large hem to hang it. You can see the reflection in the bolt knob of my 2 home made "soft boxes" Stick in a can X6 with 3 clamp lights on each shower curtain. They are about 20"x60". My exposure times are very long and I have a great tripod and ball head. I focus and take the pictures wireless through an app on a tablet. Otherwise they would be out of focus. I use my spare garage so walking around during exposure doesn't shake the camera. If I take them in the house, I have to sit still or the picture will be out of focus. Due to my limited ironing abilities, I usually digitally replace the background using Adobe Photoshop.

Here's a wrinkled gray sheet background and then a green gradient that looks much better.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1841 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best light available on a budget is outside on a bright but overcast
Day. There will be no hard shadows to deal with.

Posts: 61 | Location: Big Timber Mt. / Campbell NY | Registered: 27 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
You're right Joe. Overcast is great diffused light. My problem in the shop, is by the time the rifle is ready to photograph, I need to get it out the door. I can't wait for an overcast day without wind, show or rain. Sometimes though the photography has to fight for space in the garage with something getting worked on.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the gradient green. I suppose it's easier to photoshop than to create a perfect backdrop. This may be a stupid question, but what does a longer exposure time help with? Gather more light? I have a remote for my camera so I'll be able to snap the photos this way.

quote:
Try keeping the background way behind the subject. I usually use a gray or black twin bed sheet with a piece of conduit through the large hem to hang it. You can see the reflection in the bolt knob of my 2 home made "soft boxes" Stick in a can X6 with 3 clamp lights on each shower curtain. They are about 20"x60". My exposure times are very long and I have a great tripod and ball head. I focus and take the pictures wireless through an app on a tablet. Otherwise they would be out of focus. I use my spare garage so walking around during exposure doesn't shake the camera. If I take them in the house, I have to sit still or the picture will be out of focus. Due to my limited ironing abilities, I usually digitally replace the background using Adobe Photoshop.

Here's a wrinkled gray sheet background and then a green gradient that looks much better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the exact same problem. I know overcast is better but inevitably the day the rifle is finished it's either pouring rain or there's not a cloud in the sky.
quote:
You're right Joe. Overcast is great diffused light. My problem in the shop, is by the time the rifle is ready to photograph, I need to get it out the door. I can't wait for an overcast day without wind, show or rain. Sometimes though the photography has to fight for space in the garage with something getting worked on.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNR:
I love the gradient green. I suppose it's easier to photoshop than to create a perfect backdrop. This may be a stupid question, but what does a longer exposure time help with? Gather more light? I have a remote for my camera so I'll be able to snap the photos this way.

I turn the ISO down to 100 for a less grainy picture. With an aperture of around 8.0 the correct shutter speed is around 1 second. I block off all the light from windows and the only light hitting the rifle comes from the clamp lights. If I had strobes behind the shower curtain, then the shutter speed would be high enough to hand hold the camera.

Replacing the background in Photoshop is not a quick task for me. Unless it's a quick job and that would look bad.

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lindy. I couldn't agree more. Now if only I had a Rolex lying around that I could use Smiler
I will be putting yours and gunmaker's pointers into practice in the next month or so and will post an update with how it goes.

"I once went to a seminar where a bunch of attorneys were complaining that they weren't making enough money and the guy giving the seminar told them to quit worrying about the people who don't have money and worry more about those who do. I never took that advice, preferring to help those who are financially disadvantaged, which is why I don't own any custom rifles, although I just love looking at them.

My point is that for a guy like you who is trying to sell a premium product you need to associate YOUR product with other premium products. For example, try a photo with one of your very fancy custom creations along with perhaps a Rolex watch and a Loveless custom knife and possibly a passport, an expensive pair of sunglasses, and some quality leather goods, etc.

Then, get that photo in a brochure and get the brochure in the hands of folks who have enough money to buy your product. That usually means going to them rather than waiting for them to come to you. And that means getting the brochure in places where people who shoot and have money hang out.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MNR,

Listen to James,not Lindy2.

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
I'd be curious to see how the pro's prop or support a gun for a full length photo.

As always, many thanks!

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's video available from the ACGG that has some good information on this subject, Mustafa Bilal gives the course. His setup doesn't require anything fancy or expensive.

My greatest piece of advice came from Simon Clode at Westley-- he told me to buy the biggest softbox that I could fit in my shop. I bought a 6'x 9'and mounted it to my 500 watt strobe and found that my photos improved immediately.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure how the pros do it, but I use a piece of 1/4" all thread and have made different sized brass bushings that thread onto the piece and fit snugly inside of the barrel. It's about 10" long and threads into my camera tripod. At the base of it I've stacked several rubber washers for the muzzle to rest on. Of course this requires some photoshopping afterwards to remove the contraption from the image but it at least suspends the rifle away from the backdrop.

quote:
Originally posted by LRx:
I'd be curious to see how the pro's prop or support a gun for a full length photo.

As always, many thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most folks would be better off to forget photo props and concentrate on shooting quality documentary photos.
I just completed a photo shoot for a gunmaker's web site and the ugly CZ on the cover of latest Sports Afield.
Custom Low Wall, 17HMR

Calendar Cover

Precision Shooting Cover
URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SDH/media/PSJune08CVR-.jpg.html] [/URL]

Workbench Photo

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1793 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SDH,

The lines on that Low Wall are breathtakingly elegant.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SDH, your gunmaking and photography is impeccable. I've spent many hours examining the rifles you've documented on your website of other builders work as well as your own for inspiration and guidance. I see the importance of good photography when it comes to capturing the small details of a rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words!
Photography has been extremely important to my career. Once the guns are gone, the work is done the seminar is over...
I currently have a Wiebe fullstock in the shop I'm very much looking forward to photographing for Sports Afield.

Jerry Fisher fullstock .375 H&H

Lenard Brownell fullstock .243

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1793 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Austin Hunter for the link to the photos of my Lott. Workmanship was superb and the young fellow that did the photos did a pretty good job. He has not photoed any weapons before mine, but has a nice studio.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TSquare needs to post on this thread. IMO, his photos are the best in the best when it come to custom gun photography.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AZwriter, Many thanks for the kudos and glad you like my photos. At one time, I had a pretty nice home studio in my garage, complete with strobes and all the other odds and ends. I also used 4x5 view, 2-1/4 x 2-1/4, 2-1/4 x 2-3/4, and both Leica and Nikon 35mm format gear. About twenty years or so ago, I put my strobe gear, large and medium format gear in storage and it is still there. Before the digital format takeover, I did sell my Hasselblad gear, but kept the Mamiya 6x7 medium format gear. I also kept my Sinar 4x5 view, but sold a couple others. I went back to nature, so to speak, and now use nothing but my Nikon 35mm gear and diffused sunlight. Living in Arizona as I do, I have lots of sunshine to work with, but it does require a bit of taming down before use. I do like a bit of related background items to enhance the images, but I have to be careful as I have a tendency of overdoing it with to much stuff and the image becomes too cluttered. It all depends upon the purpose of the image when I'm deciding on backgrounds. I remember doing one image once with a Tartan plaid background cloth. It was horrible!

In doing my annual submission to Gun Digest on custom guns and engraving, I see a lot of images of guns and engraving sent to me by makers and engravers. With the exception of three makers that I can think of quickly, all of whom post here, maker or engraver made photos most often don't make the cut. The quick exceptions that I can think of are quickly James Anderson, Steve Hughes, and Dave Wesbrook. Their photography is equal to their gunmaking which is, of course, outstanding. Quite a few artisans have professional photographers that they use and most of them are uniformly excellent. Lo res images from a point and shoot rarely make it in the book. The attached images have been posted on AR before, but for those that missed them, here's a few.

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Here are a couple more that I posted with my original post, but for some reason, they didn't show up. The image using the camo coat as a backdrop borders on being too busy I think, but not nearly so bad as the Tartan plaid that I mentioned.

TT

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems too simple to even mention, but perception wise something that really helps to make fantastic custom gun photographs is fantasic custom guns!

You can possess all of the technical expertise in the world but if the gun isn't interesting then perception wise the photograph will not be looked upon the same.

Also, I might mention proportion. When one places the gun for a photo its good to take a look at what size the gun will look like in relation to other objects in the photo. When you place the gun way in the back it doesn't look as natural, meaning that it looks smaller than other objects in the front that now look larger.

T-Square

I still am holding on to (and occasionaly use) my Hasselblad and my Sinar P2 with the Copal DB shutter. Curious which model Sinar you still have.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
T-Square: Wonderful pictures. I actually like the camo jacket photo. The rifle really stands out.

Lindy2: Couldn't agree more in regards to the subject having to be worth while. I love it when the gun rags are promoting the newest $200 rifle. Their photographs are usually incredible. So much so that you can see every gap in the stock, rough machine marks, and boulder blast finish Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lindy, It is a mint A-1 with a Schneider-Kreuznach Symmar-S 180mm lens in a Copal No. 1 shutter. Don't think I've used it in over 20 years and not much since I've owned it. As the couple photos shows, it's still in it's case.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s147.photobucket.com/user/Tsquare_02/embed/story"></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s147.photobucket.com/user/Tsquare_02/embed/story"></iframe>

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know why the photos didn't show. I'll try again shortly.

TT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll try again and see what happens.

TT

one of us
posted Hide Post
I need to work on my photography as opposed to just pictures for advertising a sale on the internet..I really like James Andersons work and his photography. I'll start by tossing my bed sheet and find a grey and a black background.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41926 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray

If you really like James Anderson's photography work and want to emulate it, you need to do more than toss your bedsheet. You need to learn Photoshop.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
I've been tempted to do that as well. The best photos seem to be the ones with no shadows.
This means the light has to come from everywhere.

using the sun you could try an opaque sheet/vellum between your light source and subject and/or a reflector under your subject.

NO. Light comes from one direction and one direction only. The key to even light is to soften the source through diffusion and placing the light high enough, relative to the subject.

If needed, fill can be used below the subject to keep the ratio between the highlights and shadows under or about 1:3, which yields nice depth.

Light coming from a window is too low, light coming from a skylight is better.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Most of my pics are from a camera mounted flash using white cards to bounce the light. low tech, minimum setup, not catalog worthy.

or 2 light sources, one from low in front and one from above.

Posts: 6416 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote