Find
Notify
Tools

Niedner Oberndorf Kurz
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Too bad about the "improvements" by Bubba. Still alot of interest with alot of time left:
KURZ

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cna't see the price on it, but I agree even with the bubba improvements it's a beauty. if the price was right the ring could probably be taken care of, plugged, stippled and the plugs would probably disappear. just re-install a lyman on the rear, that looks like what was there, I think it would be sweeeet.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I bookmarked it. It'll be interesting to see how far up it goes.

It'll never be original again but I would think most of the Bubba could be repaired or replaced. I kinda like the engraving too. It's close enough to nice for me.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Another great old gun SCREWED UP. Roll Eyes

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I am surprised to see that the inletting behind the recoil lug does not match the turned section on the Kurz receiver. Is this normal on Kurz stocks?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
My guess is that it is restocked and not original Mauser wood anyway.
I would have to look at my Kurz, but I dont remember if matches the action or is flat.
No idea why the Kurz Mausers are turned behind the front lug rather than flat like the other Oberndorfs.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
So, what would you do with this rifle if you bought it? Maybe Mr. Petrov can chime in on this one.

Personally, I'd like to be able keep the finish as is, wood and metal, but cover up the holes. I don't think it would be possible to fill the holes without rustblueing everything. Then the stock would have to be done too so everything looks right. So then we're talking about a full restoration. I hate getting rid of 80 yr old patina, so perhaps a restoration of the wood could be done without completely stripping everything. Maybe clean up the checkering, etc. I would keep the peep sight holes as it looks like that was what was originally on it. I dont see anything provision on the barrel for a rear sight. You could then remove the wood filler on the stock where the peep sight was. That would be an improvement in my book. Replace the safety and the bolt handle looks out of place to me, maybe just because its so shiny.

And who would be capable of pulling off the proper restorations without screwing it up? Who would you take it to?

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a hard one, there are three different rifles there. What it was, what it is now and what it could be.

As it is now and if the bore is good would make someone a fine little hunting rifle. It's already screwed up so someone could mount a scope on it and just use it.

If it ends up in the right hands (IMO) it could be brought back to it's former glory. Please don't take this wrong but there are many many talented gunmakers today who do wonderful work but just do not understand these older classics.

IMO the rifle needs the scope holes filled, the plug removed from the stock and the Lyman 48 replaced. The bolt rebuilt or replaced and cut in the stock filled. The safety replaced and re-rust blued from one end to the other.

Realistically the the price of the restoration will come close or be more then the sale price of the rifle.

This rifle was just like the Mauser with the exception that the bolt cutout was so deep that they notched the receiver as well.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael,
What do you make of the inletting not matching the receiver just behind the recoil lug? I can't imagine Shelhamer doing such a thing, but I also do not think it looks like a parts gun. The stock looks like Shelhamers style from the same period as the barrel number indicates. Other than that, I really like the gun. Great caliber, lovely lines, very cool engraving.

John

Posts: 551 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,
There is no doubt that the stock is by Tom Shelhamer and made for that rifle.

I don't see enough Shelhamer Kurz Mausers to know what is normal or not.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a nice looking piece. The craftsmanship is very nice. It is not that bad as far as the improvements go.

I agree with a better bolt handle and safety would do nicely.

I am tossed up whether to had a Lyman 48 and put plug screws in the scope holes or scope it up or not? The scope holes do not look out of place and they didn't obliterate any markings. It would look fine with a Lyman 48 and those holes plugged with positive stop filler screws.

I have to say it again, I like it.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Mike do you do your own restoration work?

BTW, I see Monte Mandarino is the high bidder. I'm guessing he'd be a qualified person to restore this rifle.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Mike do you do your own restoration work?"

I can do some small things like a little metal work and rust blue and some finish work. The S.R. Griffin above and the Niedner are way beyond my abilities.

I do more of what could be called consulting. Wish I did more. So many rifles are ruined and can never be brought back after well meaning but uninformed folks have had a go at them

" I see Monte Mandarino is the high bidder. I'm guessing he'd be a qualified person to restore this rifle."

You would be correct, he did the Griffin above.

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
MIke or anyone, do you have more informtion on Monte's work? I don't see many rifles with his name attached but when I do they're typically presentation grade, non-hunting, super high-buck stuff. I heard that he was doing flintlocks for a while which have been placed in museums as well as sold. Again, I've never personally see one. I've purchased a rifle from him before but it was a prewar model 70. Now I see him trading and selling nice guns. So what is his background, does he still do custom builds, he obviously restores but is he accepting work or just doing his own stuff? With all the custom enthusiasts on AR Monte's name is one that doesn't come up very often.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember Monte doing some modern stuff when he was here in North Carolina working with John Bivens. I also "heard" "rumored" that he had a customer that was buying all his work after he moved to Montana. I doubt that Monte produced very many firearms with the grade of work that he was producing, maybe one a year or something. I think he would certainly be capable of restoring almost anything he got his hands on. I wish I could see more of his work.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 827 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is an example of his work.

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100149766

search Mandarino on gunsinternational and you can see some of his inventory for sale some of which he has probably restored.

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
At least it doesn't have a muzzle brake.

It would make a nice project, but IMHO the price is edging up to where it's going to be an iffy deal.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
He had a few tables in 2009 in Vegas (which is next weekend). This is the only pic I took at his table.

Posts: 6399 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I'm at Dallas Safari Club. Griffin & Howe has a Kurz, rebarreled to 22-250, somebody's fairly nice custom stock, G&H sidemount w/ 7/8" vintage Leupold, Mauser banner, double sets, $2100.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote