THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    When I saw this custom O3A3 I had to have it
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When I saw this custom O3A3 I had to have it
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
When I saw this customized O3A3 I had to have it.

When you ordered a Custom Rifle in the 1960s, you wanted to be sure everyone recognized it was a Custom. This one leaves no doubt.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
ROFL... dude that thing is hideous but I am glad you got it! As the old cowboys used to say there is an ass for every saddle... Smiler

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I'm nominating that for ugliest rifle of the year. So far... Keep shopping!

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Weatherby. That gives me grip cap envy.

Posts: 1214 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stores easily from a rafter in the garage.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bitterroot:
Looks like a Weatherby. That gives me grip cap envy.
Hello Bitterroot,

I don't have the rifle "in hand" yet. but I'm betting I will find that it was an early gun built by Winslow Arms. I was a big time Winslow collector, but sold off most of my collection a few years back. (see pics) I kept only one, a 378 Wby Mag that was built on a Brevex Action. (last pic) I have an intimate knowledge of the Winslow style and even have copies of all their production records. They used many different brands of actions when they first started the Company. I'll be looking for work-order stampings on the underside of the barrel, or on the stock, or other evidence that matches the Winslow work records. It might even be that this is a Custom rifle that was stocked by Nils Hultgren, who was Winslow's stock maker. Nils also did independent stock making while working for Winslow Arms. Now you can see why I'm attracted to these "Wild" custom rifles of the 1960s & 70s. I also kept a custom Lawson. (first pic)

Lawson

Winslow1
Winslow2
Winslow3
Winslow4
Winslow5
Winslow6

Winslow Brevex

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
ROFL... dude that thing is hideous but I am glad you got it! As the old cowboys used to say there is an ass for every saddle... Smiler

+1 rotflmo

Mike

Posts: 21203 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am imagining being on an outfitted hunt and seeing an arriving client pull that out of the rifle case. It would halt small talk in it's tracks !

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Well, if you run out of ammunition, at least you'll have a good war club. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i just threw up in my mouth a little - the metal is actually nice. put in a bell and carlson stock!

it's from the "we don't talk about it" times. it's ugly in so many ways
like a vintage bean bag chair

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm attracted to these "Wild" custom rifles of the 1960s & 70s. I also kept a custom Lawson. (first pic)

Acid was popular then. Just sayin'

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
It's hard to look away. cool but still.

no where near as radical

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
I also have other custom Springfields .. this is my early Fisher in 35 Whelen cal, but not near as "flashy" as the 30-06 first posted.
As a side note, don't be too quick to dismiss the desire to own a "flashy" rifle from the past. I sold Winslow no. 5 pictured above for 5 figures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That might be a Fischer, but I don't think you will find Jerry Fisher's name on it anywhere. Let see the signature?

As for the original post it is The Worst example of American Stockmaking I've ever seen.

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC.....the wild Winslow offerings were very popular with rich middle eastern guys.....back in the day.

The Winslows I've had were 17 caliber varmints,in the Bushmaster style.

In addition to Winslow....Nils Hultgren also did presentation stock work for the O'brien Rifle Company in the early to mid-60's. The turned stocks were sourced from the Royal Arms Company in California. Very petite rifles....using Sako L461 actions......barrelled by A&M or Ackley.

Here's a pic of the inside of O'Brien's pamphlet/catalog.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:
As for the original post it is The Worst example of American Stockmaking I've ever seen.
Hello SDH,

Rifles with unusual "Radical" Stocks from the Classic makers of the 1960s and 70s are rare and highly sought after by collectors.
I truly believe; Opinions are like belly buttons - everyone has one. rotflmo

quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Gullette: In addition to Winslow....Nils Hultgren also did presentation stock work for the O'brien Rifle Company in the early to mid-60's. Kevin
Hello Kevin Gullette,

Nils Hultgren moved to California in the early 70s to take care of his sick brother. From there, he continued to work for Winslow, but also did a lot of independent work between jobs. Here is one he did for Atkinson and Marquart in 1972. Its a 475 A&M caliber built for James Lepman. I've also shown an XP-100 that Nils stocked, and a "cool" 475 A&M Weatherby.

I don't take all the negative comments too seriously. I like to collect the "radical" stocked guns and post about them in forums for others to admire. I like to display them at shows along side my collected Classic Custom rifles by; Alvin Linden, Leonard Mews, Bob Brownell, PO Ackley, Monty Kennedy, Jerry Fisher, George Hoenig, Fred Wells, and others of the 50s, 60s, and 70s. In most cases, the "fancy" ones are of more interest to gun cranks, and start many more conversations, than the more traditional ones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 50 years people might look back on what we are building now and find it absolutely boring.

In the original post, how the hell did he grind that buttpad???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could love it if it were mine. But then I like beanbag chairs too

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Excellent counter-fodder for the next time I hear a random boomer complaining about rifles of today. Big Grin

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In 50 years people might look back on what we are building now and find it absolutely boring.

In the original post, how the hell did he grind that buttpad???

Not sure you're spot on with that..The classic rifles built in the early 20th century still look damn good even today.

Being diferent is not always better

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure you're spot on with that..The classic rifles built in the early 20th century still look damn good even today.

I agree. The classic styles will always remain. That's why they're classic. But styles de jour come and go just like skirt lengths. I have a feeling what we think outlandish will come around again and be popular, if for only a moment in time. Hence the 60's and 70's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a somewhat "subdued" Winslow/Sako L461 in 17-222........in a nicely figured 2X4.

Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Gullette:
Here's a somewhat "subdued" Winslow/Sako L461 in 17-222........in a nicely figured 2X4.
Kevin
Very nice,
Did Nils Hultgren carve his NH initials is the border of the grip carving? send me a couple close up pics of both sides of the grip.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Whenever I see any sporterized Springfield, I cry; someone has butchered a valuable, collectable, and irreplaceable US Military rifle. Sad. We can make, and buy, sporting rifles all day, but these are gone forever.

Posts: 17104 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep.......on this rifle his initials are on the lower left grip panel carving.

On a different 17-222......in addition to the left grip panel, he inked his initials onto the ivory inlay.........see it??

Kevin

The whole rifle.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Whenever I see any sporterized Springfield, I cry; someone has butchered a valuable, collectable, and irreplaceable US Military rifle. Sad. We can make, and buy, sporting rifles all day, but these are gone forever.
Hello dpcd,

Fortunately there are still many thousands of unaltered Springfields left for collectors.

quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Gullette:
Yep.......on this rifle his initials are on the lower left grip panel carving.
On a different 17-222......in addition to the left grip panel, he inked his initials onto the ivory inlay.........see it??

Kevin
Hello Kevin,

Very nice. All my Winslow rifles had his initials.
My Winslow number 5 also had his complete signature along the bottom of the carved rhino horn inlay. ... Winslow5 ...
I'm hoping to find his initials, or a Winslow number, somewhere on the Springfield when I get it in hand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I agree. The classic styles will always remain. That's why they're classic. But styles de jour come and go just like skirt lengths. I have a feeling what we think outlandish will come around again and be popular, if for only a moment in time. Hence the 60's and 70's.

Unfortunately, you may be right..Maybe get a head start on blue plastic hummingbird inlays?

Posts: 3453 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if the caliber is still 30-06. If it is, I might open it up to 300 Win Mag. That might add to the "custom" appeal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Gunsining 101" If theres a belt cut visible in the chamber mouoth.....it ain't an 06..Just takes a quick glance..... if you know what youre lookng for.

Selling the Winslow for five figures? Some guys are lucky enough to poop in a swinging bucket!

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
"Gunsining 101" If theres a belt cut visible in the chamber mouoth.....it ain't an 06..Just takes a quick glance..... if you know what youre lookng for.

Selling the Winslow for five figures? Some guys are lucky enough to poop in a swinging bucket!
Hello Duane ...

Dah, ... yes, I know that ... "Reading 101" ... as per my second post above .. Just takes a quick glance...- I don't have the rifle "in hand" yet.

and yes ... 5 figures for the best one (no. 5, the one with the carved rhino horn inlay), and high 4 figures for each and every one of the others. Some people are willing to pay for rare, classic rifles. No one has been able to duplicate the master stock work of Nils Hultgren.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I'm attracted to these "Wild" custom rifles of the 1960s & 70s. I also kept a custom Lawson. (first pic)

Acid was popular then. Just sayin'

That rifle is far out and solid, man! rotflmo

Mike

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
That rifle is far out and solid, man! rotflmo
Hello Michael

Yes, I couldn't wait to get it in hand. The 4th of July Holiday delayed delivery. Whistling

I finally got the rifle and I couldn't be happier. Not only did I find another wonderful inlay on the bottom of the forend, I also found Nils Hultgren's initials (NH) inside the stock. I also found it listed in the Winslow records that I received from Sue Albritton. Its listed as a Bushmaster "Custom"; Winslow serial number 101 - order number 612.

Sue Albritton and her husband, Sylvester Michael (Al) Albritton, purchased the Winslow Arms Co. in 1978. Al and Sue had worked for the Winslow Arms Company since its inception in 1962 in Osprey, Florida. Al and Sue were instrumental in keeping the Company prosperous after it relocated to Camden, South Carolina in 1976. When Al passed away in 2013, Sue took over managing the company. I met Sue in 2019 and learned that she kept a record of all the Winslow rifle production in a small hand-written notebook. Later that year she mailed me her notebook and allowed me to make copies of all the pages.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buck....

Are there any external NH signatures on the stock? There should be......

Also.....any records of 17 caliber rifles?

Thanks,
Kevin

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello,

Nothing external. I assume because because there are no wide borders on this skip-line checkering, unlike the carved or basket weave patterns with wide borders.

Yes, there are rifles in 17 calibers in the records. PM me your serial number and I'll look it up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not my style but the workman ship that went into is fantastic.

I have one 03 "sporter" and had up to 8 full unaltered 03's.

I think I have 3 left.

Should just sell them and make room.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
hello p dog shooter,

I have had a dozen 03's over the years, both original and sporters. I still have a Custom sporter by Leonard Mews, and an original Camp Perry Match rifle from the 1950's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the worst thread Ive ever seen on AR, and I cant find the slide to put my money in the pictured juke boxes!!

However on the real side some show excellent gun maker skills and congrats on that but I can't handle the design at all.. sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Good News - I've had a dedicated Winslow collector contact me wanting to buy this new found treasure. Another high 4 figure sale when I'm done licking the honey off it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
Good News - I've had a dedicated Winslow collector contact me wanting to buy this new found treasure. Another high 4 figure sale when I'm done licking the honey off it.

GOSH!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:

Hell, I’d have given you four figures for it!

But you’d have had to count the two zeros to the right of the decimal point! Big Grin

But each to his own taste.

Mike