THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Metalsmith ID Help - Photos Added
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metalsmith ID Help - Photos Added
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just took in a Grisel actioned (#49) rifle. The underside of the barrel is marked "R M G" with the M in smaller case and underlined and a small fish (of the religious type) beneath it. Also the caliber and 9 dot 85, the date of the build I am sure.

Can anyone advise who did the work? Appreciated in advance.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6388 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Wild a$$ guess

http://www.rogermgreen.com/gunmaker/index.php

Bingo and thank you! I sent Roger an email and received the following reply.

"Ed,

Yes, I built the rifle. This rifle was finished up in Sep of 1985. There were not many of these Grisel actions made as this one was made as soon after these were developed his association with Don and Norma Allen of Dakota Arms was dissolved and this action ceased to be and the Dakota action which was evolved from this action was and is still being made. The barrel that is on this rifle is a Bill Hobaugh barrel out of Montana and who many years back closed shop. The wood came from California and was a nice piece of California English. The original customer who I built this rifle for had purchased the wood and I am not sure who he bought it from. I do not give out the person’s name that I built it for unless I know that he has passed away or that it is ok with him to do so. If you bought it from a person and you give me that person’s name I can tell you if it is the original owner. I hope that I have help you in your quest. If I can be of more help to you please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Roger"

It is great to be able to chase down the builder. Thanks again.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Ed

I'd love to see it. Can you post a picture.

Rich

Posts: 6388 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Me Two!!! I want to see it.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's some shots of her. Weighs 7# 7 oz as she sits.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Excellent workmanship. It was great that the smith gave you the details - he sounds like a class guy. Makes me think. The Wiebes, Andersons, Kobes, Steeles...etc...that are sharing their work on this forum now, will be treasures to someone many years from now as well. Perhaps 2nd and 3rd owners. Art in a museum comes to mind.

Posts: 90 | Location: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: 13 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the photos...NICE!

Enjoy!!!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle....

I have a Grisel action in .270 stocked by Ottmar.

Quickly becoming one of my faves...

Doug

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Wow!!

I just saw from the other thread that this is one the rifles you turned your Sabatti refund into. This rifle is just a spectacular work of art and I love the .280 Rem! I particularly like the timed and engraved screws on the trapdoor buttplate and what appears to be a first class rust blue job, the wood and stockwork are also first rate. Wonderful rifle. Thanks for sharing.

You did good! tu2

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply stunning. Thank you!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nyrifleman:
Beautiful rifle....

I have a Grisel action in .270 stocked by Ottmar.

Quickly becoming one of my faves...

That rifle is what put me on the hunt for a Grisel actioned piece. Grazie. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walnut:
Very nice. Excellent workmanship. It was great that the smith gave you the details - he sounds like a class guy. Makes me think. The Wiebes, Andersons, Kobes, Steeles...etc...that are sharing their work on this forum now, will be treasures to someone many years from now as well. Perhaps 2nd and 3rd owners. Art in a museum comes to mind.

Definitely not a class guy, the governor of Wyoming fired him from the Game and Fish Commission for being involved with some illegal hunting, poaching.

Posts: 1382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 10 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wyoske:
Definitely not a class guy, the governor of Wyoming fired him from the Game and Fish Commission for being involved with some illegal hunting, poaching.

Without knowing more details, I could easily imagine that the firing may possibly have been political. Our local hero is a teacher who stopped a school shooter in the act by sticking a .45 in his face (Pearl, MS, 1990s), and of course he was INSTANTLY fired since it was 'illegal' for him to have his pistol on school property. Needless to say, he was also INSTANTLY hired by another school district!

In many areas the acts that are viewed as crimes in the eyes of the authorities are viewed as salvation in the eyes of the residents. Can you supply more details?
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote