New
Find
Notify
Tools

Echol's Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anybody shoot an Echole's Legacy rifle in .300 Weatherby ?
What is the weight ready to hunt ?
Accuracy ? Velocity ?
I just looked at Mr. Echols web page and was impressed !
Just wanted your opinions.
Thanks,
Jim

Posts: 144 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have had a few client bring them on hunts and I too was impressed. I know some of them post here and hopefully they will respond.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, I don't own a Echols rifle but rather the stock he designed and can tell you mine, a 300 H&H on a m70 pre 64 action, #2 lilja @24.5 inches weighs 7 3/4 pounds scoped, the stock having edge fill. Perhaps the best stock pattern I've ever shot. I doubt one of his rifles can be bested.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replys. Just trying to learn more before any real consideration.
Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
With your money I would buy it. It won't hurt your pocket book if you don't like it. Actually I shot a friends wood stocked Echols 30-06 this past summer when we were in Anchorage. The balance and feel was just perfect to me. The pre64 receiver was glass smooth. They are more than just good looking.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Since both D'Arcy and Brian read and sometimes post here why not send them a PM and get the real info?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I have talked to Mr. Echols.
Butch, I was going to borrow the money from you 'till payday !
Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
My wife seems to think there is a money tree in the woods in the back yard. It is getting pretty damn bare.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea, my money machine quit working, kind of like your tree !

posted Hide Post
I've made a few hunts and put several rounds through a barrel or two with Darcy's Legend rifles in 300Wby. They are all any bolt rifle designed for hunting can be. Accuracy is typically in the 1/2" MOA area with loads tailored for the rifle. Weight is dependant upon several factors, but they aren't ultra light, likely about 9 pounds ready to hunt for the average build.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, John.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I own a Legend in .300 Wby. I've taken Pronghorn, Whitetail, Mule deer, Moose, Reedbuck, Bushbuck, Nyala, Sable, Waterbuck and a Crocodile with the rifle. I use it for everything but dangerous game.

The target that came with the gun showed accuracy of 0.55" with 200gr. Nosler Partitions. I've changed to 200gr. Accubonds and have incresased the downrange (2-500 yds)accuracy. The sweet spot for the load seems to be in the 3025-3050fps. Don't get me wrong, I can't duplicate the accuracy every day. Some days are better and some days are worse. I don't practice so much on the bench. I either practive with my bog pod shooting sticks or with the Ching sling in various positions (sitting, steanding, etc).

My rifle is topped with a Leupold VX 3 in 4.5-14 power. I'll weigh the rifle later today and send you a pm.

I don't quite know what to say about the rifle other than I trust the rifles abilities far more than I trust my own. It has seen weather conditions from cold, hot, rainy, dry and snowing. I've never had an issue when it came time to pull the trigger. By the way the gun will spoil you and likely make quite a few safe queens out of the rest of your guns.

As to D'Arcy, Brian and Matt, I consider them close friends and feel I can call them at any time with questions abount guns and many times non firearms related subjects.

Bryan

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have handled them at SCI on more then one occasion.

To me they are just right. Functional and elegant. Then "elegant simplicity" has always appealed to me as has making form follow function.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted Hide Post
I have a Legend in .300 Wby. I have had it for ten years and have used it quite a bit. It has a featherweight contour barrel. It started out with one of the fiberglass stocks, but I had D'Arcy replace it with an EDGE stock a few years ago. It will generally shoot 200 grain Partitions into .600-.800 at about 3050fps. It will shoot 180 grain Sierras into .400 at 3250.

Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention the weight. It weighs 8 pounds even with a 3.5-10x40 Leupold.

Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all, I appreciate the replys. No doubt the rifle is the best !

one of us
posted Hide Post
My rifle tips the scale at just under 10lbs with the 4.5-14 Leupold scope.

Bryan

Posts: 219 | Location: Reading, PA | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Hop on a plane to Salt Lake City. Catch the shuttle to Logan. Come to the range with us and shoot a Legend. We'd be happy to have you visit.

Brian Bingham
D'Arcy Echols & Co.
Millville Utah USA

posted Hide Post
My #1 weighs 9.25lbs with the 3.5-10x Leupold while the "long range" version weighs 9.75lbs with the Edge stock. Both will shoot about any bullet I want to use into 1/2" when I do my part. They will spoil you!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the invitation, Brian !
Thanks to all.
Jim

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Jim. When you go Wby I want your Lapua .300 Win brass...... Wink

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1429 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote