THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    What do I have ( old husqvarna )
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do I have ( old husqvarna )
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On barrel is
Husqvarna Vapenfabriks A B. 30-06 U. S.

Was told it was made in 1958

I think scope mounts were wrong as scope appeared high in back to me as well as reticle is adjusted all the way down and it still is 8-9 inch high at 100 yards.

Did a little searching online and didn't find anything bad about it, was thinking to rebarrel for a 20" fullstock either 280 rem or 35 cal of some kind project.

Anything I should worry about?

Got it with a trade that I was happy with so in reality I have nothing invested in it, yet Smiler

Posts: 1073 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If aluminum trigger guard, check for cracks. Do you know the model, 1600, 1640, 1740, 3000?

Jim

Posts: 546 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going with a 20" bbl. go with the 35!!!

Hip

Posts: 1829 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jgrabow6493:
If aluminum trigger guard, check for cracks. Do you know the model, 1600, 1640, 1740, 3000?

Nothing about model on it. Trigger guard, mag box and floor plate all one piece steel. CRF bolt .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My main concern is did it originally come drilled and tapped for for scope mounts? The ones that came on it do not look correct in height from front to back. I looked on the various online markets and it appears that the ones that look similar all have scopes on them. So, now just to find out what model it is and what mounts go on it Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your action is an early 1600 series action (has a steel guard/magazine box) also sometime known as an HVA action. It is not an 8000 series action which has the cast pot metal trigger guard/magazine box of the later model 1600 series - bolt, trigger and receiver are different.

The actin is uses small ring Mauser bases - Weaver #55 rear and #46 front bases should fit. Redfield Junior as well as Leupold baes were 9And may still be) available.

The spring floorplate releas sometimes fatigues and breaks. If desired a Model 98 Guard/box can e modified to fit.

Bill

Posts: 46 | Location: SE British Columbia | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Model 1640. There is no 98 mauser type bolt release, just a small flat lever on the left side. Picture needed to confirm 100%.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5111 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

It has weaver mounts on it , but 45 on rear not 55, 46 on front.

Yes both bolt release and trigger guard release look flimsy. How fixable are they if they break for an amature, If one could find the parts? Or is there a possible modification ?

As to looking for scope ring mounts, Mauser 98 small ring ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes that is what was called the Improved Mauser action or, overseas the 1640 style
Made from 1955 to 1972
The early versions had the steel trigger guard, then they went to a cast alloy guard on the later ones

Factory tapped for scope mounts

Redfield used to make a 1 pc base for it, Leupold still makes it
I also made and still have some a Redfield/Leupold copy, 2 pc bases for it.
Weaver bases are still available for it, for the small ring Mauser

The floor plate latch spring can break, I have a drawing of it and have been asked to make a batch of them but do not curently have a steel guard on hand to check fit

The ejector/bolt stop spring can also break, I have several actions and that is a part I will be making sometime this summer

James Wisner

Posts: 1433 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:
Yes that is what was called the Improved Mauser action or, overseas the 1640 style
Made from 1955 to 1972
The early versions had the steel trigger guard, then they went to a cast alloy guard on the later ones

Factory tapped for scope mounts

Redfield used to make a 1 pc base for it, Leupold still makes it
I also made and still have some a Redfield/Leupold copy, 2 pc bases for it.
Weaver bases are still available for it, for the small ring Mauser

The floor plate latch spring can break, I have a drawing of it and have been asked to make a batch of them but do not curently have a steel guard on hand to check fit

The ejector/bolt stop spring can also break, I have several actions and that is a part I will be making sometime this summer

James Wisner

Sent you a PM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Dennis Earhart rifle built on one of those actions for a while. Only issue I had with it was when I tried to sell it. Not a Winchester or a true 98 so it kinds scared everyone off.

John

Posts: 551 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I currently have three of those rifles. One of mine was retailed by Sears Roebuck as the JC Higgins Model 51L. I use them as loaners or truck guns and they really are better than that. The Achilles heel in my opinion is the rather hard trigger pull. I haven't found an aftermarket trigger available. I have two in 30-06 and one in 270. the 270 is especially accurate and I leave it at my vacation home so I always have a rifle if a hunting opportunity pops up.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I have a half dozen of those rifles in cartridges from 6.5x55 up to .358 Norma Magnum. They are excellent old rifles and in Canada they were really popular...still are. I have heard about the bolt release breaking and floorplate release breaking on the internet, but I have never been around when that occurred to someone during the last 50 years of owning them. Great rifles for the price.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I prefer the FN '98-based Model 640 over the 1640.

It's funny how no improvement of the Mauser Model 1898 is truly an improvement.

Except of course beveling the extractor to permit feeding an extra round over a full magazine. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote