Find
Notify
Tools

New Load for Custom 280 Rem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted
After a year in the making of having a 280 built, I've found a load for it. Wanted to brag a little bit boys. All the time and money spent was well worth the wait.

This thing was shooting 150 Nos SB's using IMR 4350 powder. Three shots were done at 100 yards out. With a Krieger barrel and a Dakota 76 Action, I was happy with the results. Let me know your thoughts!

Posts: 609 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts are: Very, very, nice!, What OAL?, and How many grains? Well done.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3290 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Minute of deer anyway.
Barrel twist rate?

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5122 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's see a couple photos of the Rifle

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
OAL of the cartridge was 3.280 if I remember correctly. I loaded 150g Nosler solid bases using 50 grains of IMR 4350 powder.

These bullets are not made by Nosler anymore. not sure if it is the solid bases that have the magical touch or not. Here are pics of the rifle, per your request...

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Excellent looking rifle. Nice touch with the gold inlays.
Barrel twist?

Posts: 5122 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting patiently for the return of a custom .280 Remington. If I can get a .139 to a .177 gn. To shoot like that I will be a happy camper.

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a very handsome rifle. Beautiful wood. Was all of the work done by Dakota?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
I believe the twist rate is a 1:9 ...? All stock work, engraving and blewing was done by a friend of mine. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you ever need a recommendation for a gunsmith. This guy truly is an artist. Look up Robert Schuck in the gun makers guild (ACGG).

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
When you run out of solid base bullets, there always Partitions. A bit slower powder like H4831 or H4831SC works best in my 7's. 160 & 175's seem best. Have fun with it.