THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Just finished, 25-'06 on a 1903 Springfield
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just finished, 25-'06 on a 1903 Springfield
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Client will pick this up next week. It has color case, skelton grip, widow's peak, Fleur checkering and rust blue. I hope he likes it.

Jim

68.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drool! If he does not like it, let me know!!!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. I do love a Springfield.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that is my kinda rifle! I especially like a well-done Dale Goens fleur pattern even though it may be 'out of style' for some.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Cannot wait to get started on my springfield now! Smiler

Is that a lapour safety?

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1479 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Super nice, gotta love a Springfield

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow Jim, I usually love .25-06's but I lust after that one! Beautiful!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7530 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.
Photographs are very nice also, very professional.
Very nice work.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that is beautiful. i have a springfield waiting to be turned into something just like that, only without sights and in 6.5-06. just waiting on funds...if i do it now i won't have enough money left to pay for the divorce.

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Superb craftsmanship.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is nice. I love the wood.

US Navy RETIRED
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 526 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 17 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whats not to like? Thats just the way a rifle should look.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Love the case colors, who did you use?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turnbull did the case color.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Did you fill the ejection port on the side rail and how was it done?

Nice job by the way....

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
Jim, again I am in awe of your skill and craftsmanship.

Rob

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also like the little window in the front scope base. It allows viewing the serial # and still permits a wide stable scope base, and so your idea has solved a problem that has plagued me in the past. Thanks!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's an 03 Springfield actiom??? Holy Crap!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark R:
Jim,

Did you fill the ejection port on the side rail and how was it done?

Nice job by the way....

Cheers,
Mark.

DId not fill the ejection port; not sure what you mean by that.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Jim,

I'm new to the Springfeild "03 and mine looks like the following pic and I thought they were all the same....

Cheers,
Mark.

Posts: 557 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 13 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Yours looks like the 03A3 Mark 1.

The hole is an ejection port for what was known as a Pederson device. An add on to make a full auto rifle out of the Springfield. It used a cartridge a like a shortened 30 carbine and spit the empties through the hole.

That hole is not normal for the vast majority of Springfields. Most have a solid left receiver wall. According to Frank de Hass' book about 100,000 Mark 1's were made. Other than the hole, they are the same.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, that is a sweet rifle Mr. Kobe.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr Kobe. You must'a lost... 'Cause if I was building that gorgeous rifle; I would've told the client that if he wanted me to disfigure the cocking piece like that, he was going to have to kick my ass in order to make me do it.
Wonderful workmanship, just the same. Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That cocking piece came with the safety kit.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle all around.

Enjoy!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
I cannot remember seeing a more eye pleasing rifle. US history combined with nearly impossible to find modern craftsmanship. You have created a masterpiece. Congrats!!!

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First off to Mark, I may be fuzzy but I think that it is a 1903 mark 1, not a 03a3. it is correct that the cutout is for the peterson device, but I think it is not an 03a3 (later production, not as well finished in my opinion and with stamped bottom metal and bolt that looked like a camshaft).

Once it's all put together the cutout doesn't look bad at all, I recently sold one for my stepfather that was that way and it looked great IMO.

Jim, PM'ing with a question.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he doesn't like it, he's nuts!

That is just down right beautiful. Is the trigger guard a stock 03, and whose or what trigger did you use?

Just beautiful.

Thaine

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Beautiful job and beautiful rifle!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More pictures added.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. I do love a Springfield done right. My only comments are find the Springfield cocking piece. An 03 just doesn't look right without it. Also the observatory class scope is just too big and awkward for the rifle. I think it really overpowers the fine lines of the rifle.

My opinion, for what it's worth.

Jerry Liles

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't change a thing, except maybe for putting my name on the build form :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Liles:
Beautiful rifle. I do love a Springfield done right. My only comments are find the Springfield cocking piece. An 03 just doesn't look right without it. Also the observatory class scope is just too big and awkward for the rifle. I think it really overpowers the fine lines of the rifle.

My opinion, for what it's worth.

Jerry Liles

Yup. Definitely needs the original cocking piece. And the glass looks like a spotting scope.

But it is an otherwise beautiful rifle.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The big German scope looks revolting. It turns the package into an oversize clunker with no harmony. A Leupold 2.5 Alaskan would have been perfect.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
The big German scope looks revolting. It turns the package into an oversize clunker with no harmony. A Leupold 2.5 Alaskan would have been perfect.

Well, what the hell you gonna do; client wanted that scope!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, them customers sure can screw up a good build! :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Kobe,

I understand and sympathize. Us clients and potential clients can sure mess things up. The rifle is beautiful and my comments were not meant to disparage your craftsmanship. I appologize if it seemed that way. I still don't like the scope on that trim, elegant rifle though.

Just my unsolicited two cents.

Jerry Liles

One of Us
posted Hide Post
on't know how many of you noticed the checkering job - it goes up one side over the top and down the other all in a continuous flow. that is awfully hard to do

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Nice gun Jim,

As much as I hate Talley mounts that big Swarovski destroys their ugly outline a bit.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
on't know how many of you noticed the checkering job - it goes up one side over the top and down the other all in a continuous flow. that is awfully hard to do

That checkering job combines 2 of the most difficult areas for many smiths. The veiner work on the fleurs is quite tedious and requires a good artistic eye and a RAZOR-sharp tool, while the over-the-top and around-the-bottom treatment is apparently beyond most younger smiths' capabilities.

The TRUE wrap-around checkering job is getting rarer these days. I see a lot of jobs where the 2 panels MEET at their junctures but the diamond lines don't actually flow across the parting line onto the other side.

Attractive but still somewhat amateurish when shown next to a true wrap-around job done well, like THIS one.

IMO the only thing that would have made this checkering job more difficult would have been to incorporate ribbons into the design. IMO any point pattern, ANY point pattern at all, is child's play to accomplish when compared to a well-done fleur wrap-around one.

This is a Dale Goens pattern/treatment, and IMO is one of the 2 or 3 most attractive patterns shown in Monte Kennedy's book. Dale was a master and I admire his work immensely.
Regards, Joe