THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Options? I have a 300 WinMag Remington model 700 take off fluted from an Alaskan Ti
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Options? I have a 300 WinMag Remington model 700 take off fluted from an Alaskan Ti
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Besides the obvious of simply screwing the Alaskan tie barrel on to the standard Remington 700 that I currently have I was wondering if there were any chamber options which might allow me to obtain a significant speed increase and possible accuracy increase?

The barrel again is a 26 inch factory new take off with a 10 inch twist and the base action is a Remington 700 Cerakoted in Matte black.

This is all bedded into a H&R forest green with a black spiderweb stock.

My cheap semi custom option are the following:

1.Ream to 300Norma or 300RUM
2)Have the entire rifle,barrel,Stock,Scope,Bottom Metal,Burris Bases etc... In Digital Desert Camo.
3)have the flutes polished to a mirror finish as well as having the bottom metal and barrel laser at just so that I'm never tempted to sell this rig as it is the base of the first rifle I ever purchased for myself.$329 out the door…at Satterfields Sporting-Goods one Friday Night when I decided to upgrade from my Marlin 35REM to a "bolt gun".

Any ideas?

Thanks

Robert

Bruz

"Honor,Courage and Character"

NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 342 | Location: Jawja | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you happen to not have much experience with 300 mags in general, I would try shooting it as is. The bigger 300 mags use a lot more powder, and have a lot more recoil, but are not that much faster. There ain't no real world advantage at ethical hunting ranges. And please, don't no one try to start up a debate about what range is ethical. Don't want to hear no He-Man B.S. Tonight!
Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
300 RUM but do hot expect any increase in accuracy over your 300 WM. Bullet speed, yes, And recoil and blast but that is part of the fun. Personally,, I would go to 338; 300s are too small for anything but deer. As Elmer said, 300 mags are strictly pest guns.

Posts: 17128 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks....Will the the 300's all fit the action?

I've take 20+ Deer with this rifle as a 300WM and just thought probably from this rifle with a RUM or something like a a Weatherby… Just an idea

Thanks

Rob

Bruz

"Honor,Courage and Character"

NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 342 | Location: Jawja | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the 300 RUM and 300 Weatherby will fit in a Remington 700 Action. Rather easily, actually.

I contemplated this, but just left mine a 300 Winchester, and throated the barrel long for long bullets. I can get a safe and honest 3000fps with Berger 210's. I load to 3.55" COAL, and take advantage of the extra case the bullet isn't taking up.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote