The Accurate Reloading Forums
A Gunmaker's .404 Jeffery - Video Added

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971019521/m/1961013762

01 September 2021, 18:43
The Norwegian
A Gunmaker's .404 Jeffery - Video Added
Just wonderful sir. A really nice DG rifle.

One question; did you do the Color Case hardening yourself ? Got very nice color and I am very curious about how you do it ? ( Ingridients and process )

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !
02 September 2021, 02:10
MNR
Thank you!
The color case work was done by Turnbull. I've used them for a number of projects and have always been more than happy with the outcome.
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
Just wonderful sir. A really nice DG rifle.

One question; did you do the Color Case hardening yourself ? Got very nice color and I am very curious about how you do it ? ( Ingridients and process )

Morten

www.mnrcustom.com
https://www.facebook.com/MNR-C...LLC-485145854894639/
17 April 2022, 04:49
Charlie64

And do you still have the rifle or did you sell it?

Great looking 404 !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"
17 April 2022, 05:15
Kolo-Pan
I am wondering about that trigger. It appears to be a Blackburn Trigger. But the pin that holds the trigger to the action looks much larger than what a normal Blacburn trigger would have. Did the Wells shop make their own triggers>

KJK
18 April 2022, 17:35
MNR
I believe it's a blackburn as well, though it's not marked. The pin just has a larger diameter head to it, but the trigger unit has the same hole through it as any other Mauser.
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
I am wondering about that trigger. It appears to be a Blackburn Trigger. But the pin that holds the trigger to the action looks much larger than what a normal Blacburn trigger would have. Did the Wells shop make their own triggers>

www.mnrcustom.com
18 April 2022, 17:43
MNR
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

And do you still have the rifle or did you sell it?

Great looking 404 !

Thank you! I still have it. After returning from the hunt I refinished the stock as I gave it a little character in the field especially when I rested the forearm against a tree to shoot the buffalo Smiler
I also sent the metal work back to the engraver for some new adornments and then re-blued.
It made for a nice showpiece at the trade shows this year, and although I did stick a price tag on it, I certainly wasn't disappointed that it didn't sell.
Pics of it currently after the recent work below:

www.mnrcustom.com
18 April 2022, 21:23
degoins
Perfection in a bolt rifle!! Thanks for sharing.

DRSS
19 April 2022, 22:43
458Win
Hopefully your hunt turns out at least half as nice as the rifle !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com
20 April 2022, 01:55
Biebs
That's about as fine a safari rifle as can be had!
20 April 2022, 04:59
mlfguns
It’s a true classic beauty, kudos.
20 April 2022, 05:24
LongDistanceOperator
GOSH that’s pretty.
20 April 2022, 05:30
Michael Robinson
I'll take it!

PM me with payment instructions.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.
20 April 2022, 10:55
boom stick
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I'll take it!

PM me with payment instructions.

Whatever you offer, I will offer 10x less than you Big Grin It is gorgeous. Glad to see such a beautiful 404. What pride you must have to make and own this beautiful rifle

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)
30 May 2022, 00:51
MNR
I finally got around to editing a video of this rifle build. There's also a few clips from the hunt itself. The link's below:

https://youtu.be/ZiYQIBacYOI

www.mnrcustom.com
30 May 2022, 10:24
Peter Connan
Lovely video, thank you.
30 May 2022, 21:56
dukxdog
Beautiful rifle.

Very nice video.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"
01 June 2022, 05:09
Kolo-Pan
I have read a few articles written by Gunmakers who say that interested parties should buy their custom guns from them because their products are born from hunting experience.

The question then is - now that you have hunted that rifle would you change anything about it?

KJK
01 June 2022, 17:58
MNR
That's a great question.
Short answer: No I wouldn't change anything. I suppose because I wasn't trying to re-invent the wheel with this gun (or any other for that matter). A flawlessly functioning, accurate rifle built in a classic style that's worked for the last 100 years.

As to the thought that hunting experience = better built rifles: I think that's fine as a marketing statement, but I'm not sure how true I've found that to be. I've been blessed to be able to hunt quite a bit across North America including several hunts in Alaska. Over the years I've changed my opinions on rifles quite a bit, but those changes really come down to personal preferences (blonde or brunette conversations). For instance, I no longer like slings on a rifle and I don't like high magnification scopes with large objectives, etc. However 95% of my clients also have a lot of hunting experience and they come to me with their own personal preferences. I suppose for the inexperienced client who has no idea what he wants in a rifle, the gunmaker with a hunting background would be beneficial. However I think most gunmakers would fit that bill. Most got into the trade out of a love of hunting.
The major difference between those of us that spend many days afield and those that hunt a little more conservatively is that the later group will be much easier for a client to get a hold of in the months of October, November and December Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by Kolo-Pan:
I have read a few articles written by Gunmakers who say that interested parties should buy their custom guns from them because their products are born from hunting experience.

The question then is - now that you have hunted that rifle would you change anything about it?

www.mnrcustom.com
02 June 2022, 11:52
Peter Connan
That's a great answer!
08 June 2022, 03:33
metal
Awesome video, love the follow up shot.
I like how you did the rear sight base and lug.
Would you rather do a barrel like this vs integral? You must save a heap of time and money!
Also what is the horse rasp you’ve got? It looks like it rips.
08 June 2022, 17:49
MNR
Thank you! It's hard to say which way of doing a barrel I prefer. The integral certainly takes more time but not a lot more than making sights and installing (though in this case I only made the rear). I had already had a .404 Lothar Walther barrel sitting on the shelf so it made for an easy decision on this gun.
It's a Nicholson rasp. Certainly takes material away quick!
quote:
Originally posted by metal:
Awesome video, love the follow up shot.
I like how you did the rear sight base and lug.
Would you rather do a barrel like this vs integral? You must save a heap of time and money!
Also what is the horse rasp you’ve got? It looks like it rips.

www.mnrcustom.com
15 August 2022, 21:14
Kolo-Pan
MNR
What kind of files and rasps do you use for all of your shaping work? Thank you.

KJK
16 August 2022, 08:35
Craftsman
Matt

I noticed you wet sanded the stock with the finish? What grit paper do you stop at ? One of your videos showed you hand rubbing a top coat on the finish ? What brand finish do you prefer ? Do you rub the finish out with anything like rotten stone ? Your work is really good and so is your videos. Keep it up !

Craftsman
18 August 2022, 19:12
Michael Robinson
Matthew - Thanks for another very interesting and well made video.

Brilliant wood and metal work, both!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.
19 August 2022, 07:16
MNR
Kolo-pan: I use Nicholson files and Liogier rasps. I use a farriers rasp for a lot of the rough shaping too.
I know you're starting out with your first stock project soon, my advice would be not to worry about buying all of the "right" tools for the job now. I made a lot of stocks starting out with a basic set of chisels and gouges, Fisher scrapers, A Nicholson pattern makers rasp, and different shaped blocks to back sandpaper. Then if you find that you like stockmaking after a few stocks it might be worth investing in fancier tools. Just my .02 cents.

Craftsman: The caveat I would give about my preferred finishing technique and brand is that I seem to be constantly changing it. Lately I've been using Timberlux which I've been happy with. I wet sand at 320 until the pores are filled. Then once at 400 and once at 600. Then hand rub the finish in once a day until I'm happy with the result, occasionally knocking it back with 600 grit. The last stock I did I ended up with 25 hand rubbed coats, but that's unusually high. I would say I typically do around 10-15.
Yes, I've rubbed it out with rottenstone before but typically do not.

Michael: Thank you!!

www.mnrcustom.com