THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Best place to find a matched pair of stock blanks for rifles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best place to find a matched pair of stock blanks for rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking to stock a pair of 30-06 rifles that Gene Simillion made for me. Currently in synthetic stocks.

Thanks for any ideas you can provide.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger Vardy has lots of really nice matched pairs.
Cheers.

Posts: 630 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I would also try Steve Heilman in Grass Valley, California.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got lucky at member Chris's URL. www.walnutgrovegunstocks.com. Somewhere here I show them.

You probably already know this, but your best bet are what they call bookends. Make the center (up and down/left to right) cuts and take the opposing sides of the blade cut. There will be two sets, just above and below the horizontal cut. You can get a really nice pair that way.

Chris gets a lot of old growth Walnut out of California and Oregon. Having your own semi to just buy and load up helps.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Just purchased a blank from Roger Vardy and will second Metal's recommendation. Right now the exchange rates are in your favor...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7530 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Cecil Fredi has around 35K (35 thousand) gun stock blanks to choose from here in Las Vegas. All of my custom rifles have been re-stocked from blanks that he had. It is such a pleasure to go to his warehouse and pick out blanks for rifles! All types, and prices vary depending on the type and grade of wood that you choose. I have some rifles that are matched pairs of gunstock blanks. He has Claro, Bastogne, English Walnut, Fiddleback, Burl, Maple, Myrtlewood and Walnut Burl. He is on the Internet, and has been doing this for over 40 years. Just Google him up, or call him at 702-382-8470. Gives you a nice excuse to come over to Vegas for the weekend. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I second the recommendation for Cecil. I have a couple of english walnut stocks from his wood. They are outstanding and very reasonably priced. Easy guy to work with.

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger Vardy

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fethettin Genc of Gencoglu Gunstocks in turkey: gencoglu.13@hotmail.com He supplies to all of the Brits and to several US stockmakers as well.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So does Roger Vardy.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought two very nice English walnut blanks from Cecil Fredi in the pre internet days.
He asked what I wanted, and how much I wanted to spend. I sent him money and he shipped me the blanks. That turned out real well.
Being able to see pics on the internet is a huge step forward.
I sure would go back to him, if I needed more stock blanks.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
df06

Does he (Cecil) allow you to walk around the warehouse and look at the wood, or do you just tell him a price range and he brings wood out for you to look at?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was recently in Las Vegas and went to Cecil's warehouse. He has thousands of blanks. I told him what kind of wood I wanted and he steered me to that section. You can go as low or as high as your budget allows.

I found some really nice blanks for good prices. If you are in Vegas, go to his warehouse.

Posts: 55 | Location: TN | Registered: 20 February 2010Reply With Quote