Find
Notify
Tools

Colt/NULA Project
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted
I am not sure if you would really call it a custom build, but I am having a Colt Light rifle reworked by Melvin Forbes. I spoke to him this afternoon about the project, and as of now, he is restocking and replacing the trigger/safety assembly. I am going to shoot the gun when I get it and check the accuracy. If it will shoot at least an inch at 100 yards, I will probably keep the factory barrel, but I still may have it rebarreled to 338/06 or 280 AI.

I have never done this kind of thing before, but it is not nearly as expensive as I thought it would be and is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a factory NULA. Eeker

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
Jeff:

I bought a Colt Light .300 WM in 2002 and converted it into a poor man's ULA. I had Lone Wolf build a stock for it and had Mel install Timney trigger and his safety. It shoots under an inch consistantly and weighs exactly the same as (2) ULA's I bought later (2004). I would have had Mel re-stock it then, but was unaware he would do that. My guess is you will be VERY happy with your conversion.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the CLR just the way they are. Light, quick handling, good trigger and my 270 shoots like gangbusters...3/4" groups with factory loads. What is left to improve upon is beyond me.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. My CLR should be here tomorrow or Tuesday, and I am going to shoot it and check the accuracy. As I said before, if it will group an inch at 100 yards with Winchester Supreme 140 gr Accubonds, I will just get Mel to "slick up" the action, check the head spacing, and keep the existing barrel. The gun will definitely be getting a new NULA stock and trigger though.

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
The CLR got here today, and it must have had a rough trip. The box had evidently come open in transit, and the gun fell out. The ocular bell of the Bushnell scope had an unnatural bend to it, but other than that, the gun appears to be alright.

I brought it home rescoped it and shot it with Winchester Supreme 130 gr ballistic tips. I was pleasantly surprised by the accuracy. I put 3 shots off sand bags that could be covered with a nickel. That is definitely good enough for me not to have it rebarreled.

I guess I will be shipping it Mel at NULA on Monday for a new stock and trigger/safety.