New
Find
Notify
Tools

My latest-mini mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is my latest project. It is an old Zestava that came as a 7.62X39. I initially built it as a 270X39AI, which is basically a 270PPC. I decided to use a chamber that factory Lapua brass was available for. I decided on 220 Russian, the parent brass for the 6MMPPC. My lathe won't cut metric threads and I had Mike Bryant of Bryant Custom Guns chamber a #1 profile Shilen 14 twist CM barrel. I will shoot no larger than 52grain bullets. It should run them 3500-3600FPS. Karl Feldkamp did the G33/40 cut on the LH side of the receiver. Kerry Stottlemyer did the rear tang mod, 3 POS safety, scope bases, scope rings, and bolt handle.
After a fellow on another forum took my custom 40X barreled action, wood, and money and disappeared, I will use one of the proven ACGG stockers that I have used in the past.

The bottom metal was courtesy of James Anderson.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks good.
i got a couple of mini's i need to get back to work on.

Posts: 107 | Location: alvin texas | Registered: 09 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Beauty! I have a 7.62x39 Remington 799 which uses the Zastava M85 mini mauser action. Certainly one of my favorite plinking rifles (after I retro-fitted the weak extractor using one from an old Sako Vixen which actually fits after doing some minor filing). When I wear out the barrel I might consider doing some custom work with it.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Butch

Very nice so far. I also have one in 762x39. Not sure what to do with it yet.

Rich

Posts: 6404 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
When I bought mine the bore was .310. All the good bullets were .308. That is one of the reasons that I rebarreled.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich and Butch what are the options on rebarreling a 7.62x39. I not sure what I want
to do with mine.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything that will be based off the 7.62X39 family. As far as I know 220n Russian, 22PPC, 6mmPPC, 6.5 Grendel, and the 30PPC. Could be others, but these will feed fine without mods. I will add anything built on the parent 220 Russian case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like that 6.5 Grendal idea.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Looking good Butch.

quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
I like that 6.5 Grendal idea.

That is what I am building on mine but it is not in the same league as Butches. Fairly pedestrian in comparison although I was able to start with just an action rather than a complete rifle. Little bolt handle work and a reshaped safety and magazine because I have got a reamer ordered that pushes the shoulder forward .05 and have lengthened the magazine so I can load out to 2.4 so have called it the 6.5GM (Grendel Max)

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2685 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted. I've heard great things about the Grendal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking barreled action Butch.

Why do you guys keep doing this when I just sold my last mini mauser?!? homer

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Very Cool Butch. I've got a 7.62X39 Mini Mauser project in lembo. I need to get it out of the safe and get it finished!

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice ..!! I also have a mini that needs finished ..
Question ... Where do we get this good looking bottom metal ?? This is one of my hang-ups on my project .

Thanks ..

Posts: 343 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allen Martin:
Nice ..!! I also have a mini that needs finished ..
Question ... Where do we get this good looking bottom metal ?? This is one of my hang-ups on my project .

Thanks ..

James Anderson made those a few years ago. I'm not sure if he has anymore or not.

Here is one James did and then Roger Kehr got a hold of it. They are very nice units!

I think I read a post from Duane Wiebe saying he had a batch in the works. Duanes stuff is top notch too.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is a James Anderson. Duane is doing some.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
how about going with a 6.8 SPC. Almost the same case head as the Russian and plenty of really good ammo and brass available. Are any of you with one of these actions will to sell or trade as I am looking for one. I have a Satern .270 barrel waiting to become a 6.8.

Thanks,

Lance

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lshopper:
how about going with a 6.8 SPC. Almost the same case head as the Russian and plenty of really good ammo and brass available. Are any of you with one of these actions will to sell or trade as I am looking for one. I have a Satern .270 barrel waiting to become a 6.8.

Thanks,

Lance

Lance,
Is this different than my original 270x39AI cartridge. Yes it it is a very accurate cartridge for small 270 bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with yours, but as it is an AI I feel quite certain it is not the same. Yours probably has a bit more power too. The 6.8 pushes a 110-115gr. bullet about 2675 in a 20" barrel.

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I am currently building a 6.8 on the mini. Anderson bottom metal, Dakota safety and a Wiebe bolt handle job...Wiebe still hates me for tricking him into the weld job. Lol!!!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatever happened with this project?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is in the hands of Dean Zollinger for a stock.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Damn! Every time I see Roger's work, I want to drag something out of safe and let him cut on it. Outstanding, again sir!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Even the plainest of plain Janes in the little Zastava makes a nice little hille rifle and what I built arround my own Grendel Max cartridge that gets the 123gn A Max away at 2700fps. Have 2.475 inside the mag length after a bit of judicious filing and cutting so can load my lengthened Grendel to 2.405.

And when it will do this at 200 yds then it is worth taking out for a walk.

Von Gruff.

Posts: 2685 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
whats that shot way over to the right of that caliper? Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silvertip1:
whats that shot way over to the right of that caliper? Big Grin

Wind gust that I missed. Calm for the other (first) group and the wind started to gust. Big Grin Big Grin

Von Gruff.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Looks good Butch!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Great work, Butch. I've been trying to find a lefthand .22-250, but have not had any luck. I have found lefthand 7.62x39s. Could anyone provide me info on cartridges, or wildcats, with more case capacity than the 39 cartridge, but a rim that would fit that boltface? I'd like either a 6mm or a .250 (wanted the .22-250 to convert to a .250 Savage).
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Mini Mauser in .223 its actually a Rem 799 but same as the others near as I can tell. I'd like a much trimmer stock but I'll play with it as is for awhile.

Prof242, did you get out to see Kevin Weaver about your project?
I'm dropping by his shop tomorrow about a 400 Whelen on a Springfield project.

Von Gruff is that an aftermarket stock?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Not to get off topic here but I have had Kevin build a rifle for me and I have really enjoyed it. Nice workmanship at honest prices!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom,
Yep and his comments are listed under the thread on gunsmithing. He can't change the boltface.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
Great work, Butch. I've been trying to find a lefthand .22-250, but have not had any luck. I have found lefthand 7.62x39s. Could anyone provide me info on cartridges, or wildcats, with more case capacity than the 39 cartridge, but a rim that would fit that boltface? I'd like either a 6mm or a .250 (wanted the .22-250 to convert to a .250 Savage).
Max

The 6.5 Grendel is the obvious case to build off of. Take a look at 6mmAR.com. There are a variety of wildcats off the Grendal case presented there. The 6mm version gets pretty close to 6BR numbers. They are optimized for AR15's and generally towards Highpower competition but would be useful in the varmint field or deer woods in a bolt rifle, depending on caliber. I bought a reamer second hand for a 30 cal version of the 6mm AR Turbo 40. It should provide performance approaching the 30BR. I think I have the print on my home computer so PM me if you are interested and I'll look for it.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine will be a 220 Russian. Factory Lapua brass and was the parent case to the 6mmppc and the 7.62X39. They have the same boltface. You can fireform the 220Russian to 6mmppc. 68 grain bullets at 3500fps. You can fireform to 30ppc which will send a 112grn. bullet to 2950+. Mine used to be a 270X39AI, which is a 270PPC. 110 grn bullets at 3000fps.
All you need to do is fireform, no special wildcat case preps. Yes, you can form to 22ppc also.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Slightly off topic but for all you guys that have custom stocked your Mini Mausers I am looking for a take off stock.
I posted it in classifieds WTB.
I have a factory 799 Rem stock and would like something slimmer and trimmer like one of the Mark X or Charles Daly I think that were more suited to the scale of the rifle.
Or a suitable synthetic.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom, if that original stock is wood, any competent stockmaker should be able to slim it down and make the lines as graceful as you want them to be.

Just a thought...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
It is one of those big Remington Laminated stocks. I've thought about reshaping it myself but I have other projects ahead of it, thought maybe a slimmer trimmer take off would be a quick temp fix.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GAG shows a nice patern for the Mini

www.gunstocks.com

go to "New Stock Styles" on the left and click and its the third one down.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have a very hard time navigating that website, couldn't find the Mini Mauser pattern.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
stocky has Carbelite's - 5152 - Interarms Mini MK X

and replacement laminates.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/s...sh--Remington/Detail

My buddy has 3 mini Mk 10's I'll check if he has stocks. Don't hold your breath

direct link to GAG

http://www.gunstocks.com/nstyles.html

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
no stocks only actions

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks rich that was a huge help.