Notify
Tools

Custom 275 rigby contour 1 ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted
Good evening guys

I live in London and is also planning a build of a 275 rigby and was discussing with my gunsmith if I go for a 1 or 2 contour barrel and the pros and cons of either.

I only wanted one shot and the ultimate goal is the lightet weight with scope finish

It will be a best London rifle finish but for me without iron sight or bands as a personal choice

Has anybody done anything similar in contour one and what is the final weight ?

My gunsmith is www.alanwey.co.uk

Can anybody post picture and comments on contour one barrel custom rifles

How dees it handle ?

I shoot a k95 and don't have a problem shooting a rifle weighing 5 pounds nothing

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello Londonhunter,

This is a 7X57 lightweigh, build on a highly modified 1909 Peru Intemediate Mauser. Barrel weight is 820 grams, total weigh without scope mount is 2722 grams which equals to about 6 pounds.

Robert

Posts: 83 | Location: Germany, NRW | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Wonderful

Is this your rifle and how does it shoot ?

I am thinking of 1 in 9.5 twist using

A frames or accubonds

For plains games

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
My son has a #1 contour (15mm at the muzzle) barrel in .243W on his Parker Hale Mauser '98. Even with just a 6mm hole it is very light and there is not much metal around 'the hole'.

My 7x57 has a 16.5mm muzzle and I wouldn't want it any lighter. That twist will stabilse all weights. I find conventional projectiles just fine for game at 7x57 impact velocitys. Mt gunsmith has a USA sourced, short throat 7x57 reamer (for 140 weight projjies) but my rifle has a euro spec longer throat. Know which one you are getting.

As you only want one shot then I would suggest the issue you face is one of rifle balance and how you distribute the weight along the furniture. I hope your gunsmith is also a good stockmaker (or knows one).

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As you only want one shot then I would suggest the issue you face is one of rifle balance and how you distribute the weight along the furniture. I hope your gunsmith is also a good stockmaker (or knows one).

+1.
IMHO the most important feature of a rifle is balance, much more than half a pound or so. I think a reasonable minimum is around .560" at the muzzle at 22". You will probably find that it will shoot better with the barrel fully bedded. Light barrels often like support. So make sure the wood is well seasoned and straight grained in the forend.
Back to the balance issue.If you have a light barrel then I would suggest that the piece of wood selected is at the lighter end of the spectrum. Also use a lightweight pad or butt plate and have the butt section hollowed out as much as possible. There are very few people that can shoot a butt heavy rifle well in comparison to one that is slightly muzzle heavy, off hand or prone. I like my bolt guns to balance right around the front action screw.
This will make all the difference in how your lightweight handles and feels in hand. Cheers G.

Posts: 107 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 23 May 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hello Londonhunter,
Yes & no. It has been build for my spouse - so I have access to it Wink
3 shots at 100 m go in 1” with 140 grains bullets. The muzzle diameter of the barrel is 13mm (.512”), and it is 22” long. We have used a Heym barrel blank, using european chamber dimentions. It is of course balanced at the action and still has the original 5 round magazine capacity. As we selected leight wood also, it was not nessesary to hollow the buttstock.....

Robert

Posts: 83 | Location: Germany, NRW | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello

If you are able have a look at a couple of Mauser Model B sporting rifles, in both 7x57 or 250-3000/6.5x54 Mauser/8x51 (all kurz actions), they have a very lightweight profile that shoots and balances well. This profile is very different to the "american style" eg Roberts rifle especially in the type of taper and shape of the reinforce.

The Mauser style reinforce is something of an "aquired taste" when all you have seen is "american style".

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote