THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Can I get by with 4 & 3/8" butt on a rimfire stock
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I get by with 4 & 3/8" butt on a rimfire stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a nice blank I would like to use on a CZ rimfire but 4&3/8" is the absolute most length
available for the butt.

Since it is a rimfire I intend tt thin it down
and lighten it where I can.

I do intend to put a cheek piece on it if that makes a difference. Thanks Kenny

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No opinions, eh?

OK, well that's probably because it's really up to you... On a rimfire you certainly don't need the extra surface area of a larger butt to distribute recoil so the question becomes one of whether or not you can live with the aesthetic appearance of it being so slender in this area. Given the extreme example of a "broomstick" looking slenderized stock I've seen somewhere on these pages before I don't think anyone can guess as to what your personal preferences might be. I would suggest laying out the pattern you want on the blank, or make a few full scale sketches on butcher paper to see what you think. And be sure to post photos!

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I trimmed that blank I was afraid it would

look small land I posted here to see if the pro's

had experience in this area.

Since, I have found Ruger 10-22's are actually

smaller at the butt

I am going to put this one on a 10-22 with the

10-22 butt plate and I think it will look fine.

Thanks for the reply.

Kenny