Find
Notify
Tools

It SHOOTS too!!! 9.3x62
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted
It started back in April and it's finally coming to fruition.

Charley Santoni, CS Sports, otherwise known as CAS II sent me this picture. This was the culmination of two people. Lee Christianson/Redneck did the metal work and Charley did the stock and Cerakoting.

The action came from Chris Price of VA.

-Pre 64 M70
-D'Arcy Echols Legend stock in Edge fill
-Pacnor 24" #3 SS barrel
-Midnight Purple Cerakote (gives a blued look)
-Leupold QR rings and bases with a VX3 1.75-6, Heavy Duplex reticle
-Glass & Pillar bedded
-Free floated
-OD green with texture

It will be here Tuesday. I'll report the weight when I get it. Oh and it's in 9.3x62.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Must Say Charlie does nice work. Have a couple of stocks I am going to send him when I get around to it!!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's very nice.!!!!!!!

I've been thinking of doing the same thing with pre 64 action and I've talked to Lee about it, and Charley has one of my stocks now..doing a new paint job, pad etc.

Congrats!! Let us know how she shoots and what the weight is!!!

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSSP, Redneck and CAS do wonderful work.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you get the rifle back could you post some close up pictures of the finish?

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
My idea of the perfect hunting tool!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
My idea of the perfect hunting tool!

Mine too. No bells, no whistles, just a very nice rig.

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I gotta tell you, this things feels like it was made to fit me. It's incredible how much better D'Arcy Echols Legend stock feels compared to the McMillan Rem Sporter. And that Midnight Purple Cerakote; looks so much better, like it was blued.

Wow! Both Lee and Charley did impeccable jobs.

Alan

Somewhere between California and Utah, the pin that holds the Breech Bolt Sleeve Assembly came out and as you can see the Assemply came out. At least I have it. Charley says it was there when it went into the box and I believe him. He's asked me to send the bolt to him and he'll insert a new one.

Chris Price, who I bought the action from says I will need a longer rear action screw.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Very nice! FWIW, I have M70 Classic stainless in 9.3x62 that sits in a McMillan(Winlite) stock and wears a Leupold 1.5-5. It's definitely one of my keepers.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Definitely, extremely very nice...!!! Big Grin

It doesn't matter what the stock material is...synthetic, wood, alum, steel, Kevlar...if the barrel channel has high spots that touch the barrel, those spots will cause problems in accuracy...plus some synthetic stocks are not all that stiff so you can "bend" them enough to touch the barrel or actually bend/tweak the barrel/stock slightly.

And....Contrary to popular belief EVERY type of stocking material will "wiggle" in response to weather/temp changes. Free floating the barrel will negate most of those changes and allow the barrel to vibrate in a more uniform mannor.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! The finish looks like rust blue to me. I like the way it looks in the picture. Does it look like rust blue to you?

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
EDMHUNTER,

You asked a very good question. With this rifle I chose the Midnight Purple, because to me, it gave a much more "Rust Blue" appearance to me compared to a flat or matte black. Well, here is a nose to nose or barrel to barrel comparison.

Top = the 6.5x47 Lapua I just got last Wednesday from Chris Matthews of Longshot Rifles with a matte black Cerakote. Stainless steel Broughton barrel.

Middle = Midnight Purple Cerakote I just received yesterday from Charley Santoni/CAS II. Stainless steel Pacnor barrel.

Bottom = my bathing beauty 257 Roberts from Glen Morovitz with a CM Kreiger barrel with fine Rust Blue.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle and useful for about anything in the world.
My everyday carrying rifle for the past few years has been a virtually identical piece only with the lighter edge version of the stock. You should love it.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Phil,

I think I did not mention my Echols stock is an Edge fill so unless you are talking about something else, they're the same.

Alan

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I guess great minds think alike --- or is it fools seldom differ?
I assumed that it was the standard fill stock due to the paint. I liked the kevlar/carbon fiber look of the basic stock and kept mine like that.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles guys!

Phil, what barrel length does that 9.3X62 have? Thanks.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSSP thank you! That is rally sharp looking finish! The Echols is the best looking and best design synthetic stock there is! IMHO

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos! I need to get busy with mine now. When you get a chance, could you put it on the scales and let us know the weight, all up? I, for one, would really appreciate it. Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Mine has a 22" stainless bbl and loaded with five down and the Redfield peep weighs an even seven pounds.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Arthur,

Mine has a 24" #3 barrel. Haven't weighed it with five down yet but with the 1.75-6 VX3 it weighs 8 lb 3 oz and balances right on the forward edge of the front action screw.

Took it out to play today with my brand new Oehler 35P. Just 1/2 dozen barrel break in loads using 250 AB and IMR 8208. Hit max at 52 gr running 2416 fps.

Alan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Until I won the Ottmar rifle ... the best bolt rifle I owned was a pre64 M70 fitted with a Kreiger cut rifled barrel, on a lovely McMillan stock in .338 Win Mag. Is GunKote'd but does have excellent iron sights. Wears a 3-9x Zeiss Conquest.

After sight-in in WV, I took it off the plane in Jackson Hole, drove to the range there, and it shot a 3 round group into 2" at 300 yards with 225 gr Barnes Xs.

Lovely rifle that simply works all of the time.

Needless to say ... I REALLY like the concept and it has proven out for me. Congratulations on a wonderful choice of calibers on top of the good basic design. 9,3x62 is wonderful.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Bravo, Alan! Well done. It is one that is suitable for just about anything, anywhere.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
After some initial barrel break in; it SHOOTS!

IMR 8208, 51.3 gr, 2361 fps, .85"

IMR 8208, 51.9 gr, 2402 fps, .48"

Varget, 56.5, 2444 fps, .159"

Varget, 57.5 gr, 2505 fps, .57"

Alan

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
It's too bad it's not a REAL custom rifle. Big Grin

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
It's too bad it's not a REAL custom rifle. Big Grin

LOL Phil!

Oh, wait! I got one one of those. dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:
After some initial barrel break in; it SHOOTS!

IMR 8208, 51.3 gr, 2361 fps, .85"

IMR 8208, 51.9 gr, 2402 fps, .48"

Varget, 56.5, 2444 fps, .159"

Varget, 57.5 gr, 2505 fps, .57"

Alan

Looks like you found your load.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I guess the real question is --- which one do you plan on using the most -- and why?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil that looks like a sweet carrying around rifle. My x62 is one of wood-stocked trim but both yours and the OP rifles would be fine rigs.

What bullets are you using in yours?

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
286 Nosler Partitions

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
I decided to push it up to John Barsness' 60.5 gr of Varget. The data that was published in the Dec/Jan 2008 edition of Rifle magazine. Dang great data. Thank you John!

All use Lapua unfired cases, 250 Accubond and WLR primers seated 10 thou off the lands or 3.255", and 3-shot groups. No pressure signs, easy bolt lift, no super flattened or cratered primers, no nasty sounding muzzle reports, steady velocity climb and only 23 thousandths growth at the rim.

58.5 gr, .68", 2558 fps, 15 ES and 7 SD

59 gr, 1.24", 2575 fps, 16 ES

59.5 gr, 1.3", 2601 fps, 17 ES and 12 SD

60 gr, .81", 2616 fps, 8 ES and 4 SD

60.5 gr, 1.2", 2636 fps, 6 ES and "2" SD

With this one I can take my min impact of 1800 fps, at 500' elev, the mean elev of the area I will go back for for Grizzly on the Seward Penissula, to 485 yards and have just over 1800 FPE.

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Looks like it likes the 286 gr Partitons too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSSP
Beautiful 9.3. I'm building one very close to yours, except I have the Echols standard fill.
How about some specs on your "real" custom.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GSSP
The Bob is perfect.
Thanks
Good hunting with both of them

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I guess great minds think alike --- or is it fools seldom differ?
I assumed that it was the standard fill stock due to the paint. I liked the kevlar/carbon fiber look of the basic stock and kept mine like that.

Phil,

Had to finish mine with paint since mine came like this from D'Arcy's shop with the SS cross pins in it.

Alan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The quality of the rust blue job on that Roberts is absolutely top shelf! There is no covering up imperfections in metal prep with a rust blue. Nice guns all of them! That Echols stock is one tough piece of workmanship! Iwould think a nice airbrush camo pattern may be in it's future?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote