THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Let's see some fancy checkering.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's see some fancy checkering.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Ribbons, fleur-de-lis, whatever.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'd rather see some "Good Checkering" Wink Then if it happens to be fancy great. coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6401 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
32 LPI complete 360 degree wrap-around

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is refreshing to see a checkering design that is a little differant yet tasteful and very well executed.

A pattern wrapped, connected both top and bottom requires great skills and much talent.

Craftsman

Posts: 1536 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if i can get photobucket to work i'll post some pict. i'm not one for fancy, do nothing checkering, but i do have a few pieces for some of the masters like hal hartley, which are rather plain but beautifully executed. you might want to take a look at some modern guys like kobe,who does a most excellent job of over the top wrap around jobs

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
dietrich apel ? Chilean m98

Win Hi-wall 219

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
you might want to take a look at some modern guys like kobe,who does a most excellent job of over the top wrap around jobs

Have one of his. Just a nice wrap point pattern. But beautiful none the less.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing fancy as I prefer simple. Unknown builder on my pre-war M70 270. Absolutely flawlessly executed.

Roger Green's work. Again, simple but flawless.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by richj:
dietrich apel ? Chilean m98

Richj, Dietrich Apel started New England Custom Guns.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
a buddy owns 3 or 4 rifles done up by NECG. These pics are in Geo. Beitzingers shop. I think the engraving is Willig.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Enfield with checkering by an unnamed artist.

Stock by Jim Kobe,checkering by Kathy Forster
My Hyper Single in 257 Roberts

My 250-3000 stocked and checkered by Jim Kobe

This is my VZ24 stocked and checkered by Jim Kobe

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Leonard Mews

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifles!

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I love this stuff.
Here's a decent wrap around Tim Smith-Lyons he did for me on my small ring a couple years ago. I was thinking of replacing this stock with a darker stock, getting bored with the cheek piece shape and the pink hue to the claro.
Beautiful stuff guys.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some checkering on my rifles. The first two photos is fare from my pre-64 Model 70 .458 Lott stocked and checkered by Gary Goudy in a fleur de lis with ribbons pattern.

http://s147.photobucket.com/user/Tsquare_02/library/

Next is from my G33/40 .25-06 also by Gary Goudy checkered in his standard fleur de lis pattern.

Finally, my .257 Ackley, also on a G33/4- by Pete Grisel. It is a skip-a-line pattern that originated with Leonard Mews I believe.

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the photos didn't post for some reason. I'll try again

Next is the Goudy .25-06.

and finally the Grisel .257AI with the Mews pattern skip-a-line pattern.

Posts: 455 | Location: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a few more to have a look at. The first two photos are from my pre-64 Model 70 .338 checkered by Curt Crum.

Next is my pre-64 Model 70 .280 stocked and checkered in a point pattern by Gary Goudy.

Last is my Dakota 76 in .257 Wby. It was checkered by a guy that did nothing but checker, Dennis Richards. Alas, he passed away all too young a few years ago. He is one of two checkering artists that I know that did not use a checkering cradle and held the stock in his lap while checkering.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
More awesome talent here. Wow!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some beautiful work on display. The skill required to do quality checkering is not trivial and is one mark of a fine craftsman and artist in wood. I'm awed by the skill required to do the ribbons and panels and cut fine lines without run overs. That said as I get older I find I now prefer a simple point pattern cut on good wood, without run overs, fine enough and smooth enough to still show the wood grain to any fancy pattern.

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a fair hand at point checkering. What I'd like to know is how those mullered borders are done. Anyone done a video on that?

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Hoffman 505 on a #20 Oberndorf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I try to follow the philosophy that anything done in excess is usually bad, and most things in moderation are good. A fine custom rifle is, or should be, the sum of all its parts. Each facet must conform and flow with all the other facets. When first viewing a fine custom rifle, if a feature of the piece jumps out and grabs you, in my view, it is overdone. It could be overly ornate engraving, checkering, wood grain, gold plated sling swivels, or anything else.

The older I get, the more I gravitate toward the simple, but very well done. When I was a young buck, I sought out the flashiest walnut I could find, the more ornate checkering patterns, and when I had engraving done, it was glitzy. I might add, I also drove a Porsche 911SC.

These days, I opt for either no engraving or strategically placed scrollwork, I seek out walnut blanks that have perfect grain flow and very nice color, but pretty subdued flash and glitz, and perfectly done checkering patterns with no ribbons, curlicues, or didoes. For rifles, 22 to 24 LPI is perfect and for shotguns, perhaps 28 LPI is the cat's meow. My vehicle is a Toyota 4Runner these days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,
Is that why I drive a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer with 210,000 miles on it?
Maybe it is to leave money for the important things.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, Amen brother.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
T:
It's all about the flow and let the design match the hardware and wood quality and let no feature overshadow another. The more customs I see, in addition to a nicely grained wood stock, I find that I appreciate a fine gold band on the barrel, a thin gold border and maybe a gold S-F on the shroud way more than many gold animal inlays even ones on high end rifles costing 6 figures which can be a bit of a distraction on a otherwise highly refined work of art and craftsmanship.

An example of what I consider a mis-match of features is the rifle I showed above. To start, Richard's messed up the notch at the bolt release and cut it too far forward. Result: no wood in front of the release. (sorry that the release is stuck outward in the picture, still had to shave the wood a bit) But, being pumped up as I was to keep the ball rolling on my first 100% ground up "custom", I still completed the inletting, finished the stock and sent it off for checkering.
Having said all that, even though the forearm is flawlessly executed, the grip is wimpy and narrow. The tail is gone now. But, it just doesn't flow or match the rest of the gun.
Have fun.
CB

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The request was for FANCY checkering.
I don't consider conservative point patterns fancy, regardless of how well done.
And I drive a Toyota and most of my rifles have point patterns.

Another beautiful Hoffman pattern called the Hoffman Bear:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
The request was for FANCY checkering.
I don't consider conservative point patterns fancy, regardless of how well done.
And I drive a Toyota and most of my rifles have point patterns.

Another beautiful Hoffman pattern called the Hoffman Bear:

Precisely why I qualified my reply....

Posts: 1574 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The thing is, I figure if I keep trying and if I have a particularily good day, I can turn out a point pattern which won't make ya puke. No matter what, I would never be able to copy that Hoffman pattern. If I tried, I might end up with something which looked like a bear but it would be just as likely to look like a cow or a beaver. Likewise, I would avoid any attempt at a fleur des lis pattern. That pattern by Gary Goudy is really nice. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3534 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a butt place with a little pattern to match a fleur de lis. I hand filed this one from a 3/16 in. 1018 steel and had a cap to match on this rifle. This will keep you busy for a couple of days.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work Les!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
+1. Nice work Les. A nice deep rich blue for the metal would make that pop. Is that the plan?