New
Find
Notify
Tools

Her 30-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The elves and I worked feverishly to get this done in time to place under the ladie's Christmas tree. The saddle floorplate, trigger guard, and sling studs are shop made. The stock is Bastogne. It weighs 7 lbs even.

Posts: 1220 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a sweet heart!

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That rifle is very nice. Did you use a cnc machine to mill that floor plate or do it on a Bridgeport type? Did you make a fixture to hold it when you cut the bottom?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son did the machining on our CNC. He cut the inside of the floorplate first, then turned it over and held it in aluminum vise jaws that were cut to the outside shape of the floorplate. The bottom of the floorplate was then shaped and contoured.

He designed the trigger guard, made it first on a 3D printer until I was happy with the shape, then CNC'd it. It fits factory inletting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All around nice job! When I was making bottom metal, I copied Ted Blackburn's idea of a sort of "squirrel cage"

Four floorlates attaches to the fixtrure and then shaped on the lathe, setting up the proper taper, of course

Don't know if you've tried that, but thought I'd pass it on anyway

Posts: 3462 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see how that would work. I just finished it with a bullnose end mill and it came out pretty smooth, minimal handwork. If I was making a bunch of them the lathe sounds like the way to go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A different look but I really like it.

John

Posts: 553 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh so nice...

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Really beautiful work. The case coloring and niter blued screws are a great touch.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The customer originally wanted the whole action color-cased, but Turnbull said they would not case the receiver due to its metalurgy, so customer agreed to do as much as we could. That is why the receiver is rust blued and the rest is colored.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Some customs just seem to hit the "sweet spot". Very nice build quality especially the bottom metal at the trigger loop. Looks racey. Really nice.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5116 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the trigger fits the guard perfectly.

Posts: 426 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
That's a gorgeous rifle. Is that a Pre 64 action? Someone once told me those actions didn't make "that nice" of a rifle. I beg to differ. I love the color case hardening!! Cool

Posts: 606 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whoever told you that had SFB, S*#t for brains. Shy away.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
Ribbon bordered checking is unmatched.

Own a 1916 AH Fox XE grade with ribbon
interrupted checking pattern and extra long forend with ebony schnable insert. Unmatched indeed.

Posts: 361 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote