THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Can you recommend a dealer for selling custom guns?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you recommend a dealer for selling custom guns?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted
I have some custom and limited edition long guns that I want to sell. I like to use a dealer and consign my guns with them and pay a commission when they sell the guns.
I was given the name of a 'high end dealer' who was recommended by a dealer I trust. Unfortunately, he has not returned the calls left with his staff. My belief is that if I do not get the service I need starting out, it is safe to assume that it won't get better as the relationship advances. Therefore, I am looking for recommendations on a dealer that could handle 20 or so long guns, american brands that are limited editions (1 of 500 ect.) or guns from the custom shop.
I know I could do it myself and not pay a comission, but frankly, I really dislike dealing with the tire kickers, low ballers and shipping companies.
Any suggestions?
(if this is the wrong forum, please feel free to move this to where it belongs).

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Hallowells and Champlins come to mind but I have only bought from these dealers and have not sold through them.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had good luck with Champlin.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys! I'll give them a call.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider Mark Reynolds (mwreynolds.com) in Denver. Very honest guy who moves high-end rifles and shotguns. Good luck...

Edward Lundberg

Posts: 337 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 13 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a high end custom Mauser to Tulsa and left it with Champlin's to consign. When I would call about it (3 times) I was told that there had been some interest, but nobody had made any hard offers. By the time the next Tulsa show came around (April-November) it had still not been listed on their website and I kindly asked that it be returned.

The same thing happened to a close friend on a double rifle.

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Check with Barnes guns in Lancaster OH
I have bought from him several times but never sold through him. He does a pretty high volume of upper end used guns.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Champlins or let Julia auction them for you

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:
Check with Barnes guns in Lancaster OH
I have bought from him several times but never sold through him. He does a pretty high volume of upper end used guns.

Barnes has a nice shop. I have visited it several times. Unfortunately he follows the business plan that is successful for most dealers.... Buy low and sell high. I was offered .25 cents on the dollar the one time I attempted to trade in a gun to buy one he was selling. I was not beating him down on his price either, just looking for a fair transaction.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bought from these folks, and they were good to me. Very nice store with a cross section of firearms.
Doug

http://www.jaquas.com/

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Buckeyeshjooter: What is the value range and how many guns are there in the group? I know a well established (3rd gen) retail dealer that charges 10% commission on consignments. But, their (Lebanon County) shop only has about 50 long guns in stock at any given time.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5122 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Sounds like that's right up Cherry's alley. He has been dealing in US limited editions and commemoratives for quite a few years. I've dealt with him and he did right by me.

Cherry's Fine Guns

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
http://www.jaquas.com/default.asp

Give these guys a try, they are a large volume high end dealer in Findlay. They used to get a ton of traffic through the adjacent shooting club but I beleive it is closed or closing.

Jaqua's Fine Guns

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Hallowells and Champlins come to mind but I have only bought from these dealers and have not sold through them.

I have used Champlin and Hallowells as both a buyer and a seller with good results and with no problems.

There is another option that seems pretty good that I have never used but I have thought about recently as both a buyer or a seller and that is Rock Island Auctions. I had only met them at Dallas Safari Club but I have looked hard at the upcoming auction for a few pieces I might want and also at getting them to sell some others. .

You can talk to Rock Island and see but in general it will cost you about 15%. You can also take your guns in to them at the Tulsa show upcoming too. Just a thought

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 20 long guns to sell. Ranging from $650 to $7500. About 5 from the manufacturers custom shop, 10 that are 1/500 of guns out of production and being made on a limited run (Davidson's or Lipsey's) and the other 5 are out of production high demand guns.
Most are unfired with box, papers and factory letters.
Jaqua's is not an option for me. The owner is involved romantically with my exwife.
Having worked as a salesperson for a dealer who did most of his business at gunshows and having attended more than I probably should. I have no interest in dealing with the masses. Thus, the reason I am willing to pay someone else to do it.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Then again, you could always make a list and give us a crack at them.........

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Having worked as a salesperson for a dealer who did most of his business at gunshows and having attended more than I probably should. I have no interest in dealing with the masses. Thus, the reason I am willing to pay someone else to do it.

It appears like you have a lot of experience it the field. You should know how it works.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yep, I know how it works. My big problem is I now live and work overseas for the most part. So, I need someone to do the 'dirty work' as I only have 8 days left before I leave. I have settled on a dealer in Pa. who I know slightly. In that, we shoot CAS at Tusco together. He is Charging 15% and he will have the target market for about 1/2 the guns. I dpn't care what time frame it takes and he can take a year for all I care. As long as he deposits my share to my US account I am happy. We will agree on selling prices and he will get my ok on offers for a lower selling price.
I called most of the guys listed and almost went with one of them until he bumped his cut from 15% to 20 % a couple of days before I drove them out.
I thank everyone for the help. I had thought of listing them here but it is worth 15% not to handle the shipping without an FFL. I gave mine up in the Clinton presidency. As I age I have less patience too which plays a role in the decision making.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
There are a couple outfits around. Westley Richards in Bozeman did ok for one rifle I sold.

Dad sold a couple through Morris Hallowell.

I wouldn't let Champlins sell anything of mine. The don't manage their online inventory.

Same as 500 Guns, they never update their inventory. 90% of what is on there they don't have in the shop.

I have sold directly to Cabelas and gotten what I thought was fair. About 80% of value.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote