THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Teaser photo on my falling block-another photo added
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teaser photo on my falling block-another photo added
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought-traded for this Hyper Single falling block about 20 years ago. It is serial#002. Sam Lair built them in Jenks, Okla. I do have a couple stories about the old SOB.
It is in 257 Roberts. I decided to restock it and install a quarter rib. Bailey Bradshaw started on the quarter rib and then got real busy on his double rifles. David Christman finished the quarter rib and rust blued it. Bernie Harrell did the stock on a piece of wood from Tom Turpin. Kathy Forster did the checkering. Below is the only picture that I have uploaded at this time.

I know the screws aren't aligned, but they will.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, post more soon

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the looks of that stock--

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
More More More!!!! A little more towards the front please!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch

Thats the START of a great looking rifle.
Hurry and find your camera.

Hal

Posts: 160 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have better photos of Kathy's checkering, but my new photo software is terribly slow.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice and in a grea cartridge too
...tj3006

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle Butch, I bet it's a shooter too! I want to do a nice single shot oneday.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I especially like the treatment of the rear of the trigger guard and lever. Wonderful!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im not familiar with the Hyper rifles, what is the background of these? It looks like a modified Ruger action. Really nice looking rifle!!!

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hyper Singles were not a #1. If you see the internals you will appreciate the differences. They were manufactured by Sam Lair in Jenks, Okla. You can find them in the Blue Book of Gun Values. Most were made in the mid 70s and Sam discontinued them in 1984. Unfortunately Sam passed away a few years ago. They were pretty much custom made to order. Barrels were Shilen unless ordered with a request for a different brand. The trigger is fully adjustable. I have a few of Sam's black and white sales brochures. In the mid 70s they had a list price of $1200. A few options were available. Barreled actions were $775. They came with select American Black Walnut. Other wood was available.Mine came in a nice figured myrtlewood. Custom machine and stockwork was $10 per hour.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle Butch. Thanks for the close up, got a quote from Kathy a couple weeks ago for one of my toys.

Enjoy!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Butch, interesting piece of firearms history you have there.

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Get any more macro on the photos and we'll start finding defects in the pores of the metal. Good looking stock work and checkering. And good photos too.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn Butch, that is a real pretty rifle. One of these days I'll have to do one but there's too many projects in the way. That or I need to get my priorities right. Very nice, Very nice indeed. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely fantastic rifle, Butch! That it's so uncommon makes it a really special one to keep and use!

Posts: 215 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote