New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rigby rifle stock dimensions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it blasphemy even asking? I have a 375 Mauser actioned rifle with a poorly shaped stock that I would like to streamline and shape a bit in the off season and would love to work towards a Rigby's dimensions. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.

Posts: 85 | Location: RSA | Registered: 21 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not blasphemy at all; it's just a stock.
Google up Rigby stock. Look at all the pictures. Make your stock look like the one you like best. That is how I make pattern stocks. There are no set dimensions; just design parameters which you can see from pictures. PM about this if you want. I have a pattern.

Posts: 17113 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Google RJ Renner guns nothing. He reshapes factory stocks. I think they look very nice.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Somehow hit wrong buttons....RJ Renner gunsmithing.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that what you want to do is a great idea. I was blessed about 30 years ago to own an original Rigby Mauser in .416 Rigby. The Rigby was built on a standard length action just like the rifle Harry Selby used. I wanted a .375 H&H with the same dimensions so I used the Rigby's stock as a pattern and built a 375 around an Argentine 1909 action. The rifle turned out great. It was the last rifle I built. I traded it in a weak moment for a Pre-74 model 70 in 375 H&H that was made in 1937. I eventually traded the Rigby for a double rifle and wish I had the Rigby and the rifle I built back. My advice is to build the rifle and don't be stupid like I was and trade it off. When you get old and don't have the eyes or motor skills to do fine handwork you will be glad you built it.

Posts: 137 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 04 March 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for feedback.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
All English rifles of the early 20th century were hand built and Genuine Rigby rifles can be found that were stocked by factory workers at Mauser, as well as various stockers in Great Briton. Rigby had a certain style, as did H&H, Jeffery, Purdey and numerous other English makers.
Very few can distinguish the minor details but if you shorten the forend and taper it like a javelin, raise the toe line of the stock above the top of the pistol grip and add plenty of drop for use with iron sights, you will have a "Rigby" style.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tpr.1919:
I think that what you want to do is a great idea. I was blessed about 30 years ago to own an original Rigby Mauser in .416 Rigby. The Rigby was built on a standard length action just like the rifle Harry Selby used. I wanted a .375 H&H with the same dimensions so I used the Rigby's stock as a pattern and built a 375 around an Argentine 1909 action. The rifle turned out great. It was the last rifle I built. I traded it in a weak moment for a Pre-74 model 70 in 375 H&H that was made in 1937. I eventually traded the Rigby for a double rifle and wish I had the Rigby and the rifle I built back. My advice is to build the rifle and don't be stupid like I was and trade it off. When you get old and don't have the eyes or motor skills to do fine handwork you will be glad you built it.

Don't look at Selby's as a typical Rigby stock though (not that you necessarily are here) - after he got it he took a plenty of wood off to make it how he liked it. It went for many years with no checkering at all because of this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a 375 Rigby for sale on the net with some really nice close up photos of the various parts of the rifle. From this I can take measurements and work out the ratios of the stock. Width of fore end etc.
Going to be a fun project!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Style and proper dimensions are not impossible to meld. But..dimension prevails..old rule: Form follows function

Posts: 3455 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wonderful London made Rigby .375 was built in 1969 for a friend who is nowhere near my abbreviated dimensions, a big guy. I have no problem shortening the stock and shaving the Monte Carlo a bit. The quality of the wood and the finish are not so Londonish to prevent me from messing with it.

Posts: 62 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 26 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Rigby stock for a 375 H&H, and used it for a pattern stock, and either Gene Myers or Dennis Olson has that stock. You might give them a call..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41838 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote