Find
Notify
Tools

416 Rigby (plenty features)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
XX

Posts: 3470 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
Those are some fine looking screwdrivers!!
Mike

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks great, Duane.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Sigh...when I see a 416 Rigby I get a little sad, then a little angry Wink

Very nice looking rifle Duane tu2

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7981 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
nice, as always

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle with great lines. Wish I could warm up to coffin floor plates but they just do not do it for me. About all I would tweak on that rifle. tu2

Mike

Posts: 21269 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wish I could warm up to coffin floor plates but they just do not do it for me. About all I would tweak on that rifle

That, and moving the front sight back a tad and we have a winner.

Nice rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle though I'm inclined to agree with the dislike of the coffin floorplate. And that scope is an unholy abortion of a thing. But the customer is always right. Annoying, ill-informed, tasteless, legally-blind, clueless...but always right!

SCI Life Member
DRSS

"In those savage countries success frequently depends upon one particular moment; you may lose or win according to your action at that critical instant."

Sir Samuel Baker

Posts: 297 | Location: New Scotland, Canada | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The coffin floor plate is beautiful when you need that extra round...ans it does happen!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a gorgeous gun! Lovely to look at and built for hunting use! Obviously that owner had some experience and knew what he wanted.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.The Rigby could be the best choice for a DG bolt rifle.I think it has the best accuracy for energy.Is that Dressel`s blank California walnut?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane,
Thanks for sharing!
I love looking at beautiful rifles and your touch is something special.
Zeke

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):

My apologies for nitpicking but this is an unacceptable blemish on a rifle of this expense. If it were mine, it would be coming right back to you for some remedial work. Otherwise a gorgeous rifle.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:

My apologies for nitpicking but this is an unacceptable blemish on a rifle of this expense. If it were mine, it would be coming right back to you for some remedial work. Otherwise a gorgeous rifle.

Pointing out my shortcomings is a job already taken (by Jeannie). I have removed the "blemish" with my finger...just a spot of grease! I'll send you a private photo for your personal enjoyment

Damn, I thought it was an inclusion as well. Phenomenal work by the way.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Damn, I thought it was an inclusion as well. Phenomenal work by the way.

Oh ye of little faith.... :-)

Duane, Did you 'pinch' the bottom metal at the grip like you have done before?

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Well then, make sure the extra grease is wiped off my 404 project. Smiler

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Darn, I was hoping that was a purposeful "beauty mark". No worries about taking a blemished rifle on a Peninsula moose hunt. Wink

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
As close to perfection as I would hope for. Thanks for sharing the pix of a splendid rifle.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great work Duane , but for some reason that scope just doesn't fit the lines of that beautiful rifle . flame

Posts: 483 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
quote:
Originally posted by sjr:
Great work Duane , but for some reason that scope just doesn't fit the lines of that beautiful rifle . flame

I agree......I've killed a lot of stuff with the 416Rigby and most of it was at 3x or less, but I also didn't write the check on this one. It will be interesting to see how that big scope holds up over time to the 416's recoil. The mounts Duane makes are probably as stout as they come.

Do like the screwdrivers.....nice touch.

What does the rifle weigh?

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike..lots of heavy components here,. Twelve pounds with 1 lb 6 oz scope. Lot of weight in that pretty barrel, added weight in the coffin floorplate...adds up!

Sure enough is a pussy cat to shoot !

And 5 to 6 416Rigby rounds will add another 1/2 pound plus.

The client should have ordered a gun bearer too Wink

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
1.7-10 is a proper scope for an allarounder like that rifle.

Very nice!

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
The flat checkering is the perfect complement to the gun.

Dave

Posts: 920 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
with the placement of the front scope ring what happens down the road if he wants a smaller scope? second, does the pistol grip have so much curve it becomes more like shooting a shotgun or is there enough curve to have a firm hold of the rifle? overall no one would question the workmanship though it makes those questions jump to mind.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey All.

This was built to be a functional hunting rifle. Agree the lines would have been cleaner without the coffin floorplate but I wanted 5 down and Duane did an excellent job. On the scope, it was honestly a tough choice. I basically flipped a coin between the Z6i 1.7-10 and 1-6. The weight difference between the two is 1.8oz. I carry an Iron sight 500NE also on appropriate hunts so wanted something which could reach out if needed in failing light shots and illuminated reticle. Can still shoot both eyes open at 1.7x so....

Again, would the lines have been arguably more aesthetically pleasing with the 1-6.... Maybe. Can always switch in future but rifle was built as my main all purpose big bore bolt rifle.

And jeez, I didnt throw a 50mm 4-16 on it. I dont think 42 throws the aesthetics into a tizzy but havent had my hands on it.

If 1.8oz really bothers me I will just skip an egg at breakfast

Posts: 3 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 30 March 2015Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Couple other things.

This rifle was a long project (my fault not Duanes). Took years to find a blank I liked that could hold up to 416(Dressels came through and were awesome). Was on the Satterlee action list but when they were a year past due I pulled deposit and went with the heavily modded GMA Mag Mauser you see(was expecting to be finished sooner but life got in the way.

If I had to do it all over would I change a couple things, probably but this is my first full house custom. That said likely wouldnt change much. My money, my choice, etc.

Originally spec'ed an elaborate 60-80% coverage engraving, more gold inlay, etc but glad I went simpler.

Ralf Martini makes a hell of a barrel and got this all integral 1/4 rib bbl in custom length/twist so I can shoot heavier/longer projectiles if I choose.

That rear sight has a lot of work in it from both Duane and Roger and think it turned out wonderfully. I am better with a gold triangle vs the standard line and they delivered my vision. Majority of top surfaces were matted for glare.

Special thanks to Forrest for the early guidance and sharing of experience. And of course that was Grease! You know Duane better than that =)

Thanks to all of you who build these fine pieces of art and who I shamelessly took inspiration from.

Finally thanks to Duane, Roger, Ralf, GMA, Dressels, Camerland NY and all the other fine artisans/retailers that make these projects possible.

Duane, I know this is a business transaction at its core but you have been great to work with and have tremendous respect for your craft. Thanks for the blood, sweat and tears.

Regards.

Josh

PS. This is gun three of my three gun "hunt the world" set. Have a 7mm rem mag Echols Legend, this rifle and a 500NE Searcy Double Rifle (Classic). Is there likely room for a middle weight 338ish round? Sure, but have some lightly modded factory guns which fit there. Probably will sell all my other hunting rifles except a 10-22 Ruger, 338 WM Sako and a 375 H&H Model 70(just for backups and because they have been great rifles for what they are).

Do appreciate the feedback overall.

posted Hide Post
Have been a member (bulldog563) since 2003-4 but lost the password so just started a new account.

Gun to be blooded with Phil Shoemaker this October on a Brownie =)

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can certainly hunt the world with that combo- congrats on a great rifle and good luck in AK.

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodhits:
You can certainly hunt the world with that combo- congrats on a great rifle and good luck in AK.

Thx. Figured out my years old password!

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote