New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building My Boys First Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This project will be outside of anything I've built before. Everything else has been Germanic, Bavarian, Pre-War American Classic style. But, he's a kid and a kids eye looks at things differently. Stock is by Boyds in Sky Blue with ribbon checkering, adj. cheekpiece (figured that could come in handy).
Metal is a German large ring Mauser with a Shilen tube in .243.
Still in progress, coming up is glass bedding, a tribute engraving of some sort along the barrel flat, trigger guard and rust blue of everything prior to final assembley.
Scope and rings are on hand, Hopefully once I am done with this I can convince his sisters to build one for them, until then they can always use this one to try out hunting as my boy is only 2.

One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
Smiler

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who says 2 year olds can't appreciate fine rifles.

John

Posts: 553 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
Who says 2 year olds can't appreciate fine rifles.

John

If I have my way, he should have a fine collection of classic rifles and shotguns by the time I'm gone....and a blue one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite pictures…(not the blue rifle.)

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1789 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You give new meaning to "foresight"; and spotlighted my regrets.

Posts: 132 | Location: Kenai Peninsula,Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

That's a good magazine he's got there... the unopened one.

Dick Wright

Posts: 669 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 27 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been working, for the last few weeks, on my soon to be 11 year old grandson's first groundhog rifle. M7 Rem, McMillan stock, Lilja 3 groove,#4 12 twist to be chambered in 20 VarTarg.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still have a project rifle in the works that I put on hold for my daughter. Found out she's left eye dominant when she was 7 years old. I had bought a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 and rebarreled it to 6.5 Grendal when she was 5 years old. Picked up a Boyd replacement walnut stock and I had finished the inletting when I bought a bow for her. That's when I found out about the left eye dominance and had to pick up a lefty bow for her which she shoots well.

Well now I have a 6 month old son and I think I'll finish up that Grendel. He's definitely right handed, and I'm hoping his right eye follows! Still haven't figured out what to do for the daughter but it will have to be this summer as she can hunt with me this fall.

Matt

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote