THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Got a cool home-made tool to share?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a cool home-made tool to share?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Les that is very nice work--thanks for posting
Sydney

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you ever looked at Mark Stratton's book. Lots of plans for tools in there.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark's dimensions on his work ain't the best. I like speer's tools.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Les,
My checkering cradle is almost exactly like yours only I used a trailer hitch ball on the bottom and two cut outs that let me turn the whole shebang in various directions...I can also use it for inletting in most cases.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LesBrooks:
Make a box of goodies for reloading in the field. This is a complete set for neck sizing only from 17-375 Calibers. Newton had a similar hand press around 1910.

Balance Beam is good to 1/10 gr and powder measure pan holds about 110 grs

I wanted to load shells while on the road in my RV. This tool is available with dimensions on my DVD

That's pretty cool.

Would love to see some closeup pics and details on how it all works.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ray Fryar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LesBrooks:
Make a box of goodies for reloading in the field. This is a complete set for neck sizing only from 17-375 Calibers. Newton had a similar hand press around 1910.

Balance Beam is good to 1/10 gr and powder measure pan holds about 110 grs

I wanted to load shells while on the road in my RV. This tool is available with dimensions on my DVD

Where might I find that DVD would be verry interested in making one of them for my 45-70.

Ray
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Patriot Endowment Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that you could use this type of loader on cases without a shoulder to neck size the case. The original dimensions will work on cases up to 375 H&H. The case shell holder of the 45/70 is about .605 dia. and so a complete new tool would need to be designed. I believe that you could enlarge the whole tool based on a ram of .750 dia. and the of main body of 1.125 dia.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This project started out to be a loader for 17 Rem. which I like very much. You can see my original size on the bottom view. One thing lead to thinking that the basic design would be good for most calibers that I used on the road. I have used my tool since 1989. It serves my purpose very well.

Les Brooks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some more of my crazy ideas was to make a cast bullet for a 17 Ack. Bee. This shot like a 22 LR , but I had the wrong twist rate to shoot this 22.5 gr bullet. Project ended!!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Still worth a try on the bullet mold for the .17 caliber Les.
Thanks to all for the posts. Always something new to learn here.

A favorite quote:

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.” – Thomas A. Edison.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5120 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote