Find
Notify
Tools

Another Renner built Ruger No.1
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted
This is the second Ruger No.1 I have had Roger Renner customize for me and I like the results very much. These days I can't handle recoil very well but I still like to shoot, so I had him put together a No.1 in .25-35 WCF with the intention of using light bullets and loads. The result is very pleasing to both my eye and shoulder.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like how that came out. New barrel and quarter rib? Re-shaping of the original wood or new wood?

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
He put on a new 24" barrel along with a new contoured barrel band sling mount, then reshaped and recheckered the (very nice) original Ruger wood both fore and aft, adding a recoil pad in the process for the extra length I need. The rib and front sight are original Ruger parts remounted. The black forend tip is not a separate piece of wood - it appears to be very precisely dyed. Both wood and metal finish work are superb.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 77 lt wt. tht he worked over, its a beautiful gun, one of my go to whitetail rifles but I shot a buffalo with it, A very European Schnable forend tip- Tennon in the forearm, side panels, He does outstanding work.
p

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Steve, it's simply wonderful! Congratulations on your choice of gunsmith and your choice of caliber.
I briefly owned one of Roger's Pacific Zephyr underhammers in 20 gauge. Why, oh why did I let it get away?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Renner does great work. I just received a Ruger No. 1 7x57 from him. Its beautiful very much like the rifle pictured above.

I'm sending him an pre-64 M-70 next.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Sweet!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2259 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
he built my #1 adding 22 inch 3030 br. in RSI form. he said he liked the set trigger on mine. nice guy to chat with and old school mind set !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not only is he an outstanding gunsmith, he's also designed a wonderful replacement safety slide for #1s that serves as a base for for an aperture sight. The new safety needs a bit of fitting to ensure it still works as designed, but the "tang" sight is a wonderful addition to an iron-sighted Ruger.

Dave Manson

Posts: 686 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best of all is that wonderful 25-35 Win. caliber I grew up with and still hunt deer at least once or twice a year and resides in my pickup a good deal. I shot my first dozen or so deer with and my first 5 or 6 elk with back in the day when the 30-30 reigned and the 300 Savage was the gun nuts pick, results were as good then as they are now, and I don't recall losing or wounding an animal back then.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle. tu2

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote