THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    First custom build. Any thoughts or helpful hints?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First custom build. Any thoughts or helpful hints?
 Login/Join

posted
So I just joined this site and now that I have two kids (boy and girl) both my wife and I are done having babies. She's harassing me to go get snipped. Ok fine, well I'm gonna build me a rifle. Been doing a lot of research and here's a list of parts I want to start ordering. I would like any input you guys might have being this is my first one. I'm not definite on caliber but it's bt the .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor.

Stiller Predator action
Jewel trigger
Brux SS barrel #5 contour with hybrid flutes
5/8x24 threads for suppressor or muzzle device (1:10 twist / 20" for .308 or 1:8 twist / 24" for 6.5 CM)
Manners MCS-TA stock in OD Green with DBM magazine mini-chassis
Badger Ordnance Bipod Accessory Rail
Atlas bipod (BT10-LW17)
Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP

Please if there's any forums out there that you would recommend me signing up let me know but it looks like this place is just what I was looking for.

Posts: 1 | Location: Manahawkin, NJ | Registered: 25 March 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Welcome
Nothing at all wrong with the 308. My $$ would go for the 6.5. Touch flatter. Some nice long range bullets. Less recoil. Plus it is different. Everyone has a 308 Wink

Might look at
http://benchrest.com/forum.php

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Please if there's any forums out there that you would recommend me signing up"

While not always, this Custom Gun forum tends towards classic custom guns with controlled feed actions, fine walnut, engraving, etc.

You may find the 24 Hour Campfire site, and its custom gun forum, more to your liking.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
While not always, this Custom Gun forum tends towards classic custom guns with controlled feed actions, fine walnut, engraving, etc.

I tend to agree.
However the picture at the top of the thread is more long range target. Do believe there is a thread a while back about "this is a custom too" rotflmo

Besides we all have at least 1 opinion usually many more. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OP,
Scratch the Stiller in favor of a Borden action.

You will thank me later!

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 425 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go over to 6mmBr.com.Someone may be selling close enough to what you want to save a lot of agony&time.What you want is pretty common over there.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long Range Hunter has rifles just like you described for sale almost every day, as guys move on to new calibers or makers.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+ 1 on 6mm BR.com
Very informative w/ great info from very good resources.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is what I learned the hard way about creating a custom rifle: It's a lot more than just the sum of the parts, and far more so if it is to be a wood stock. The whole package has to look and feel right, and this is what distinguishes the top line gunmakers, their skill, judgement and experience.

So, hone your design skills, look at as many rifles as possible. Buy a copy of David Wesbrook's book "Professional Stockmaking". He lays out the basics. Be patient. Have fun.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Both are great cartridges, and both have their pluses and minuses.

308 ammo is on every shelf in every Walmart and sporting goods store in America.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is on it's way up as being one of the most popular rounds in America. The cartridges is great, it is accurate, soft shooting, and there are about 8-12 factory loads. Pretty good for a new kid.

I have both, I prefer the 6.5 Creedmoor, I should say that I have both in Tactical type rifles. A Howa 1500 Varmint with a GRS Berserk Stock, and a Remington 700 AAC with a McMillan A-Hole. Both are factory barreled actions bedded into snipery type stocks.

Brice didn't read your whole post did he?

6mmbr.com is good, long range hunting.com is also good, so is Snipershide.com

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am already in the works to build another 6.5 Creedmoor, I can't say that about 308.

And one of my 308's will die in the process.

Google bugholes barrels, he has actions and barrels in stock with no wait. Bugholes has Stiller, Surgeon and I think Bighorn actions in stock.

Then google Chad Dixon of Long Rifles Inc in SD. He is about the cheapest "good" and by far the fastest precision gunsmith in America. He used to work for Anschutz, and he's a Marine.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:
OP,
Scratch the Stiller in favor of a Borden action.

You will thank me later!

Dan what is the story with Bighorn Actions?