Find
Notify
Tools

Very short throat
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted
This subject was covered in a 2003 thread, and it still applies to custom rifles that might be wildcat calibers. SAAMI calibers have established
case dimensions, but the throats might be very short combined with a tight chamber.
My 30-06 AI is a case in point.

One of the disadvantages of a short throat is
dependent on bullet and ogive location. Some bullets have to be seated deeply to avoid direct
contact with the lands. Tight chambers-short throats-and bullets kissing lands spells PRESSURE INCREASES. Bullets intruding into powder space rob performance and again may spike pressure.
Then there is OAL of loaded cartridge to function in the magazine well.

My Mauser is too accurate to modify the short throat, but I have to watch bullet brands
at 200 gr or better. Original Barnes 225 gr or 220 gr Hornadys work fine with a long gradual ogive. RN Noslers or Hawks require deeper seating.
The spitzer bullets seem more forgiving, like the 180-200 gr Nosler spitzer Partitions.

Kudos to Saed for keeping the old posts alive to research and find valuable subject insight-20 yrs later.

Posts: 360 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I extended the throats on my 35 Whelen and 404 J to longer than spec. On the 35 Whelen, it was 0.067" longer to crimp into the 2nd grove on a 225 gr TSX and be 0.050" off the lands. On the 404 J, it was to optimize seating depths of Northfork bullets. It was 0.100" longer. Let me tell you, that custom 404J reamer was not cheap.

I wish I had done this on my 358 NM as well. Maybe another 0.50" longer.

Some of rifles have standard chambers and plenty throat, like my Tika 308s and my Mauser M03 300 WBY.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the long throated guns for a number of reasons that are obvious..but whatever works best the obvious as well..Its not written in stone, both are options.

Important is the magazine must match the chamber under all circumstances.....Long throats are as accurate, more powder more veocity, shoot flater and better with long or short bullet all things equel and contrary to some reports in gun magazines etc..Its worked for me for ions..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote