New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestion for a new barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Remington 700 Classic in 30-06 I am thinking about upgrading. I have a lightweight Manners stock I am going to use and I has a Timney trigger on it.

What I would like is suggestions on a first class barrel to screw into the assembly. Something that will provide outstanding accuracy but not break the bank either. Hopefully your experience will prevent me from making a mistake. There are so many barrel manufacturers out there, old names and new, with so many claims that this choice is very confusing.

I plan to use stainless, maybe fluted, and in the same barrel size that came with the Classic rifle. More than likely I will stay with the factory length of 22 inches, possibly go to 24 inches.

Thanks for any suggestions about what you have used successfully or unsuccessfully.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have rebarreled a bunch of 700's. I have used many different brands but for your rifle and needs I would suggest a Shllen in Crome-moly. Don't suggest a fluted one, won't give you anything extra.

I get $195 for the barrel. A Krieger or some other "premium" will run more than a hundred more. Shilen makes excellent barrels.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5502 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Listen to Jim.

The "super" match grade high end barrels have their place (I have a bunch of them on long range/precision rifles) but on a standard hunting gun they are not necessary.

Any quality barrel maker like Shilen makes a perfectly good barrel and really half of the accuracy potential is in how good a gunsmith you have chambering and installing it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My recommendation is similar to Jims, A Shilen or Douglas CM, forget about flutes. If your are truly looking for light weight, I would go with a Douglas in the Win Featherweight taper.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
My sampling of the different makers is small to be scientific but among the ones I've used, Krieger, Douglas, Shilen and PacNor I have the most faith in Douglas.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Kriegers are without doubt an outstanding barrel, and I use them on all my match rifles pretty much exclusively.

On hunting rifles, I have had very good results with Pacnor barrels. For what you are describing, a pacnor would be my recommendation.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like dempsey, I have a small sampling of Lilja, Shilen and Douglas and for a hunting rifle, I would go with Douglas as well. Just be aware that they will come pretty rough and your smith may charge you to polish it, if you want a lustre blue. I always get the air gauged anyway, so the additional expense of polishing the exterior is nothing I squawk about.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry, just order the barrel "finish turned".

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
boliep. My Douglas barreled bolt guns shoot fine. One heavy sporter, one light sporter. Plus 3 or 4 I haven't fired yet. But, I haven't heard any negative remarks about the other ones mentioned. It all boils down to how much you want to spend. Don't forget the cost of head spacing and chambering.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5105 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on Shilen. Great barrels and reasonable prices!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone that has replied both on the thread and by message. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to thank everyone that replied. I got some good tips and suggestions.

For better or worse my gunsmith ordered a Douglas stainless barrel that will be air gauged and come with 5R rifling. The contour is the same as what comes on the Remington Classic rifles with a 1 - 10 twist and a length of 22 inches.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NULA[Mel Forbes] has for yrs used Douglas...and has a reputation for providing accurate lightweight hunting rifles.
Echols & Co. have also used Douglas barrels with rather satisfactory results.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I've used PacNor barrels on my last couple builds with great results. Previous to that I used Shillen and no complaints there either.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only use Lothar Walthar barrels these days, but Douglas, Krieger have suited me...LW barrels are simply incredibly accurate with the patented process they use..Everybody around here uses them these days, Jack Belk, Jim Brockman got me into them and for that I'm eternally grateful.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41834 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
No one here has stretched the truth. I have used all the above barrels. When asked what barrels I use my reply is, "one I can get in the cal. and twist I want". Most barrel manufactures are out 8 to 10 weeks, some much farther. To the list of quality barrels I would add Montana, now almost impossible to get. I just finished a 6.5-06 and a .260 rem with Shilen match grade and they shoot sub-MOA. The 6.5-06 is in the .250 MOA class with 130gr. Berger hunting bullets and max load of H4350.....Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I also use Lothar Walther. They give outstanding accuracy.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I only use Lothar Walthar barrels these days, but Douglas, Krieger have suited me...LW barrels are simply incredibly accurate with the patented process they use..Everybody around here uses them these days, Jack Belk, Jim Brockman got me into them and for that I'm eternally grateful.

What is patented? They are a button barrel.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_500:
Kriegers are without doubt an outstanding barrel, and I use them on all my match rifles pretty much exclusively.

On hunting rifles, I have had very good results with Pacnor barrels. For what you are describing, a pacnor would be my recommendation.

I was just wondering on why do you think a Pacnor would be a better barrel on a hunting rifle?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:

I was just wondering on why do you think a Pacnor would be a better barrel on a hunting rifle?

As mentioned, I believe Krieger make an outstanding barrel, but their backorders are currently running at 9 months. Also, the Krieger might have better accuracy potential, but you will not see it on a hunting rifle - side by side I predict the groups would be equal. And Pacnor barrels cost less than Krieger. So for a hunting rifle I recommend Pacnor. If the OP was looking for a match barrel, I would have recommended Krieger. But for a hunting rifle, less cost, delivered more quickly, with the same practical accuracy are the drivers for my recommendation.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

As mentioned, I believe Krieger make an outstanding barrel, but their backorders are currently running at 9 months. Also, the Krieger might have better accuracy potential, but you will not see it on a hunting rifle - side by side I predict the groups would be equal. And Pacnor barrels cost less than Krieger. So for a hunting rifle I recommend Pacnor. If the OP was looking for a match barrel, I would have recommended Krieger. But for a hunting rifle, less cost, delivered more quickly, with the same practical accuracy are the drivers for my recommendation.

I completely agree with this.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention what cartridge/caliber. If you're going up (35 Whelen, 9.3x62, 375/400 Whelen), reboring is an alternative. The barrel is already finished and sights in place.

High Plains in ND has done two for me (1885 Browning 25-06 to .411/40-82 and 700 Classic from 300 H&H to 400 H&H.) both will cloverleaf 3 400 gr Swifts or 3 400 gr Woodleighs @100.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
To date, I have installed & chambered 6 Brux barrels. All have been sub-moa hunting rifles. Delivery was fast.

I liked them enough to order one for my own rifle. Who knows, maybe in three or four years I'll have time to build it, lol.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lilja usually has a small inventory of their most popular barrels, I'd check them out & try to avoid the wait.

I have customs in Douglas, Shilen, Schneider, Hart, PacNor they all work fine. The only bad barrel I have had was a Kreiger, go figure.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good barrel does not discriminate between calibers or cartridges-if it is good,its good.A good barrel is one that also shoots accurately forever(does not wear down easily).
So,the best barrel is one that is the most accurate and has the longest life.
Now which manufacturer has the highest percentage of turning out such a product?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are getting into the Chev, Ford, and Dodge deal again. On a hunting rifle I have had no barrel regardless of brand shoot larger than 1"MOA. If it does it everytime the animal is dead, dead,and dead. The one caveat, can you shoot 1"MOA?

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
You guys are getting into the Chev, Ford, and Dodge deal again. On a hunting rifle I have had no barrel regardless of brand shoot larger than 1"MOA. If it does it everytime the animal is dead, dead,and dead. The one caveat, can you shoot 1"MOA?

Butch is right again. I love to see my hunting rifles put down good groups from the bench.

An accurate rifle is a great confidence booster – I am certainly not suggesting anyone accept substandard quality barrels. But we are well and truly into the area of diminishing returns when we start arguing the merits of one custom barrel maker over another when the application is hunting.

No barrel will compensate for poor field shooting skills - select a good barrel and go practice from positions you will shoot from on your hunting trip.

I defy anyone to tell me one custom barrel make is better than another under actual hunting conditions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you know barrels and accuracy you know that a high velocity magnum can go from shooting one inch large groups at 100yds to 1 foot large groups with no notice before.It best be to just hope that that round is not aimed at a leopard at 100yds.Shit barrels are shit barrels if used for hunting or target-makes no difference.
About the wait,just order one year in advance thats all its not the end of the world.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A great barrel is one that can stand up to heat,IMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, almost all of the barrelmakers buy their steel from the same suppliers. The bigger barrel makers buy at least a 50,000 pound lot of a particular heat or lot. So if Brux makes barrels from the same steel as Kreiger or another brand, what will make any of them last longer? The steel is heat treated before they get it. Used to be a little cryo, but it may have helped maintainability only. Say what you want cryo neither helps one shoot better or longer. The better barrel companies have computer controlled stress relief ovens, but they do not heat treat their steel.
If I take a piece of barrel steel and give half to Shilen and half to say Bartlien, both of them drill, ream, and rifle. One is cut rifle and one is button rifled. You are telling me that one will all of a sudden take a shit and the other will not! I think we are all smarter than that. 1" to 1' groups without notice? Shootaway, I'll suggest the leopard scared the shit out of the guy and he missed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not comparing button rifling to cut rifling or hammer forged.
I think the secret is in the steel or treating the steel and the machining as well or in every little detail that is involved.I will always never rest and look for the best!
In my case the leopard scared the shit out of me but I did not miss! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been in many barrel shops. You may get a heat of steel that machines a little better than some, but other than Lothar Walther LW50 barrel steel, everybody is using the same thing.
LW50 is very close to a 14-4 stainless I am pretty sure. It is not friendly to machine, but may last a little longer. Other than prairie dog guns, how many people shoot enough to shoot out a barrel? How many people would go on an expensive or cheap hunt for that matter with an inferior barrel or a shot out one?
Good steel and good machining make a good barrel, but no manufacturer always has the upper hand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I happen to live some 10 miles or so from Douglas and used them for quite a few years of all configurations/calibers. They are a fine barrel, but so are others. Most will suffice quite nicely for a sporting rifle. Would alert you that Douglas as others these days are doing their best to stay up with demand and delivery can be extended. Give Mr. Tim Gardner, owner, a call and you will get all the specifics you would want regarding his barrels.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Depends upon how much time you have. Look at what's in stock.

Really splitting hairs as to which is best. I have had very good luck with Krieger. I prefer cut rifle, yet one of my favorite go to guns was built with a Lilja- that's all Charlie Sisk uses I believe. Just as accurate.

I cannot shoot as good as my guns- even thought they are just "hunting guns." Not necessary, but I think you owe it to the animal knowing where the shot is going to go.

I am currently pulling 2 of my LW barrels- one in the white (.300 Win), the other has seen exactly 72 rounds (7mm Rem)- I know that as I sold my dies and new brass (minus the 72) to my local gunshop. One will be replaced by a Bartlein. I haven't quite yet figured out what to do with the other action. I'll be selling those as soon as I get them- chambered as stated, threaded for Pre War/64 Mod 70s.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I have been in many barrel shops. You may get a heat of steel that machines a little better than some, but other than Lothar Walther LW50 barrel steel, everybody is using the same thing.
LW50 is very close to a 14-4 stainless I am pretty sure. It is not friendly to machine, but may last a little longer. Other than prairie dog guns, how many people shoot enough to shoot out a barrel? How many people would go on an expensive or cheap hunt for that matter with an inferior barrel or a shot out one?
Good steel and good machining make a good barrel, but no manufacturer always has the upper hand.

If you mens that they all use the same steelquality, please explain why some Shilen SS barrels shows a hardnes of 14HrC, while some Lilja SS barrels shows a hardness of 30HrC.

The same steeltype can be delivered in different heattreatments (different anealing temp), therefor you can get werry big difference in hardnes, and therefor different lifetime, and mashinability.
Wasen't there somthing about that some mfg. uses 410ss, and otheres uses 416ss. I'we also read something about "chrucibele steel"??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you really knew anything about barrels, you wouldn't have made the statements that you just made.
I'm leaving for my 52nd wedding anniversary dinner. I will fight with you tomorrow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will bet that barrels dont last as long today as they did years ago.This must be due to the cost of machining a very hard steel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will bet that barrels dont last as long today as they did years ago.This must be due to the cost of machining a very hard steel.

Why would you say that?

One of Us
Picture of FAST996
posted Hide Post
I currently have barrels on order from Lilja,Krieger,and Benchmark. A first time for Benchmark,but after reading about their barrels I just had to try one. Both Lilja and Krieger are top notch.

A side note,when I ordered the Benchmark rimfire barrel the gentleman insisted I order the barrel in stainless. I asked why and his response was that the stainless was so much better to machine than CM. OK I'll bite,but I have never had a barrel maker really give a darn if I wanted CM or SS. What I have read it's pretty much the hand lapping that makes a small difference.

I just purchased 2 Russian rimfires with hammer forged barrels,that some rave about there accuracy. I haven't shot them yet but it should be interesting.

"A long life, and the good sense to live it." ...Quintis Arrius

375H&H,404J,416DAK,458AFR,416RIG,450RIG,505GIB

Avatar: Gregory Peck & Susan Hayward in Africa

NRA member

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I've got Lilja, PacNor and Benchmark barrels. All shoot very accurately, but the Benchmark barrel on a varmint caliber is the way to go. For a hunting barrel, a PacNor will suit your needs.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote