Suggestion for a new barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I will bet that barrels dont last as long today as they did years ago.This must be due to the cost of machining a very hard steel.

Why would you say that?

Just my feeling.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Shootaway - PERHAPS barrels might not last as long in average hands these days, but IF so, might that be because of combos of the following?

1. Today's average rifleman who is wearing out barrels is likely shooting a lot more than in the past, is shooting higher velocity cartridges (using more powder), is hand loading to higher pressures, which increases throat and barrel erosion, is hand loading slower burning powders (which increase burn time at the same or higher temps, and burn time X burn-temp = more erosion still)? And perhaps the less knowledgeable modern shooters are shooting their more easily obtained rounds too quickly, which could overheat the barrels and increase their destruction rate,/decrease their life?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Shootaway - PERHAPS barrels might not last as long in average hands these days, but IF so, might that be because of combos of the following?

1. Today's average rifleman who is wearing out barrels is likely shooting a lot more than in the past, is shooting higher velocity cartridges (using more powder), is hand loading to higher pressures, which increases throat and barrel erosion, is hand loading slower burning powders (which increase burn time at the same or higher temps, and burn time X burn-temp = more erosion still)? And perhaps the less knowledgeable modern shooters are shooting their more easily obtained rounds too quickly, which could overheat the barrels and increase their destruction rate,/decrease their life?

+1

And don't forget old timer's tossed one or 2 down range to check zero.........and that was it for the off season.

They didn't see the need to waste time or $ punching paper.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:

Hi Alberta.I agree heat is a barrels worst enemy but some barrels may handle it better than others.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote