THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CUSTOM RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Custom Built Rifles    Advanced Stockmaking Seminars 2015
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advanced Stockmaking Seminars 2015
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Advanced Stockmaking Seminars now forming for 2015. Last week of June and first week of September. Featuring Stock Shaping From the Blank.
Very Limited, max 4 students per session ~ 5 days ~~ $1625.
All your pores will be filled with custom gunmaking!

Email: sdh@montana.net for flyer

Great fun, great opportunity to make a leap in advancing skills! Fine days in a working custom gunshop.
Let me know if you are interested.
I've heard several guys say, "maybe next year."
The fact is I plan these as I want to teach them and there may, or may not be one next year?

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1789 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Fishing in June and work issues in September! I was just looking at your website with the pictures from 2014.

Awesome Krag. Got a candidate for that.

Is it strictly bolt actions or if I have the time another year would an LC Smith restock be suitable?

Dave

Posts: 919 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We've worked on modern and traditional single shots, lever rifles and a M-12, but bolt rifles are the most popular with the students. An Elsie (any sidelock) would be over the head of most students.

The Krag is a Niedner Rifle Co. stocked and marked by Shelhamer. I've always got interesting guns in the shop at Seminars to raccoon.

The June class is mostly booked. Good luck for next year, this isn't your normal school curriculum…

This is the Jerry Fisher M-70 Lee is holding above, as disassembled on my work bench.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I need "Basic Stockmaking for left handed people who are all thumbs" .

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

I'm thinking I need in THAT class, too!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

I'm thinking I need in THAT class, too!
Might find a "beginners" class at one of the NRAs' Summer Gunsmithing classes. This looks like instruction for a stockmaker, with a bit of experience, to have a look at how someone else "does it",,,,,, tricks of the trade, so to speak. I wish I could swing it'...

Posts: 687 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The greatest interest come from guys that have quite a bit of experience and want to elevate their knowledge, skills and quality to a higher level. That is exactly what happens with exposure to the inside and outside of some high quality custom guns, a guy that has devoted 35 years to achieving that goal in a gunshop outfitted to do just that.
We have a lot of fun, the students learn and accomplish a great deal and I'm exhausted from the long hours, but always pleased with the experience.
Every student has gone home a better craftsman with a greater understanding of good design and how to achieve it.

Drawing and making templates (Fisher drawing)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Z-E-R-O potential as a stockmaker. That said, if SDH ever changes his mind and allows an onlooker; I would love to just go sit and watch these craftsmen (and women) go about this learning experience for a day.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich there simply is not room for an onlooker. My shop if fairly good sized 1200sq' but spaces fill up pretty quick with 4-5 guys and Stella the gunshop dog.
Last year I had a photographer friend come in and he almost got in the way...
Bottom line; it's a workshop.
Stella; licensed and dangerous...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I say we send Stella to camp somewhere nice for a day where the roosters sit tight until she is on them?

What if I sit outside and just look thru the window?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The June seminar is booked… no window seats.

One of Us
Picture of LRx
posted Hide Post
These seminars are a blast! As can be expected, Steve is an excellent and thorough instructor. If you're at all interested, book your spot!

Posts: 133 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 24 December 2013Reply With Quote