New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lost cat
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We lost our yellow "pumpkin" 4 days ago, thinking that he panicked + ran off into the woods + was eaten by coyotes, (which has happened too many times to relate). The distraught from the wife can only be imagined. We were sure that he was dead, so it was a relief when today, we found him locked in the downstairs closet. How?, who knows about anything they do, but I will say that the wife is all over kissy/kissy on the cat; along with multiple tears of joy. Etc. I am glad to get him back , but I don't go quite that far. Anyway, I am glad that he is home + not coyote scat.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If one has cats that live out doors or even partially outdoors.

Do not get too attached to them.

We have to great outdoor cats. They keep the area free of small varmints.

I expect any day to find one or both missing.

Just a fact of having outdoor/barn cats.

I don't let my outside dogs roam free after dark.

Lots of wolves around.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only ever saw one wolf here, but LOTS of coyotes. Also, we do have owls + they like cat as well. After this drama, I told her that this should be a wake-up call to not let them out, but she still thinks that's alright, so I just wash my hands. I have a fenced rail upper deck that overlooks the valley, + they are free to go outside there + be free from predators, but what are you going to do? I would have thought that this traumatic experience for her would have made a believer, but, I guess not.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Things here dangerous to ones critters.

Bears, wolves a few cougars, coyotes, bobcats, foxes, raccoons birds of prey.

Given the right opportunity they well kill domestic stock and pets.

There is a very good reason that when ones living depends on raising ones food that bounties were offered.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had only one encounter with a cougar + really, that was one too many. I was on foot on my way to my deer blind, but it was too dark to see, so I sat with my back to a tree, waiting for enough light to see. I heard that cougar go off on the other side of the tree in the dark, with that (scream, it sounded like to me) + even though I had a Savage 99 in 308, I still felt under gunned. I never saw him/or her; being P.C., but I remember a friend of mine who hunted Bears on Kodiak Island, that when you see that animal, it truly emanates fear from every one of your pores. Scott said, "You know, that I KNEW that the 30 Gibbs would be adequate, but when he stood up, I thought to myself, next year, I need something much bigger!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put the .308 pretty much right there with a 30-06 and consider the 06 plenty big for North America--especially cats.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I agree with you in theory, just not when he/she's right behind you in the dark.