New
Find
Notify
Tools

in need of a good mouser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a mouse problem. I also have two black labs that welcome the little rodents in that it guarantees them tidbits of peanut butter and cheese, but I want the little pests gone.

So I am gonna get a cat. I have two questions.
1) Is there a particular breed that is better at mouse'n?
2) Whats best, male or female.

It will be an indoor/outdoor cat. Neutered/spayed. They get to keep there claws.

Thanks,

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
For what its worth, I've had great mousers from many breeds. Also, have had cats for over 35 years. One of the things to remember is, if a cat brings you a mouse, make a big deal out of it, just like a bird dog that fetches a bird. This will generate more mouse hunting. Do not throw the mouse in the trash when the cat can see you do it. The cat will not understand why you threw away 'food.'

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In general I think Females are more likely to be good Mouse killers.
But this Male cat "Doodle" not only kills them, he neatly skins 'em and picks all the meat off the bones leaving just a pelt a few organs and a skeleton.
Unfortunately he likes to do the butchering in the middle of the kitchen floor.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
best mouser we ever had was a female siamese.

I guess it would mainly depend on the individual personality,though,but I would get one with natural coloring and shorter fur.
also,a hungry cat makes for a good mouser.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Man it is too bad you are so far away, our neighbor has a cat that just had kittens last month and they are already hell on the mice over there! I visited a few days ago and they were not only feasting on a mouse, the mommy cat had a squirrel tail on her corner of the porch.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find a pure manx (sp) we had them on the ranch that I grew up on and they are hell on mice (and birds). The one that my wife has now leaves the damn things on the front step almost every day and not always totally dead snakes too but only in season.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Well, this guy certainly won't work out... Wink

But on a serious note, I agree with the above posters that a slight fed female makes a great mouser.

Here's our mouser Sauron...

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
Mary, that top pic reminds me of my cat. I saw a mouse the other evening run behind a book cases. So, I brought the damn cat downstairs, and after considerable effort to move the bookcase, I flushed the mouse out and Ruggles, the Wonder Cat layed there and watched it run across the room. Ended up having to catch the mouse with a trap. Confused

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Tembo... lol ... Years ago my youngest daughter had a King snake which we fed 2 little white mice every month or so. We would feed one and wait for Medussa to digest that one before we fed the other. Well, we came back into the room and the second mouse had chewed it's way out of the box to freedom. We looked under the bed and there was Mr. Persnickety, our indoor cat, just sitting there contently looking at us as the little mouse peeked around from behind him. We rolled on the ground laughing with the thought of him hiding the little varmit.

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote