New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mountain Lions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A stray dog that took up residence in a gravel pit where a friend is a night watchman was killed last night by what we think is a mountain lion. I think the alleged killer is hungry and is moving toward Man instead of away. Question: Would a mountain lion attack a man? I ask because I sometimes watch the pit when my friend has other places to be. When I do watch the pit, I carry my AR carbine to protect myself from any two-legged predators who might be there to steal the copper cable off the asphalt batch plant that is set up in the place. I told my friend to stay inside his hooch as much as he could. He had a 10/22, but sold it just today. What a moron...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A young or old lion might give it a try. They are stealthy and you probably wouldn't see an attack coming until it was already begun. My friends wife was chased into the chicken coop and held there for a few hours until he came home and it ran off. She was lucky that she was close to the coop if she was out in the open it might have been a bad scene. I have had one scream at me when I came across it's fresh kill I got the point real quick and left the way I came.
99% of the time a lion will avoid a human but attacks have happened in the past and will happen in the future. We as humans are not necessarily the top of the food chain.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Predators, by nature are opportunists. They have to be to survive. Lions can and will attack humans, generally from behind. Be aware of your surroundings, and keep that AR handy!

Posts: 135 | Location: Colorado Mtns. | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in the Vladiovastock area of Russia ten years ago and the Russian military representatives told me they were having problems with Siberian tigers. They were killing guard dogs on military sites.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
There is usually greenie jogger attacked every year or two in california by a cougar. That said, no reason why a hungry one would not give you a try if it thought you were small enough to easily handle.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
There is usually greenie jogger attacked every year or two in california by a cougar. That said, no reason why a hungry one would not give you a try if it thought you were small enough to easily handle.

Yep... when I lived out there it was just about an annual event. Some lone biker, hiker or jogger ends up in the litter box.
A little bit of local press but generally doesn't make it to national news

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:

Yep... when I lived out there it was just about an annual event. Some lone biker, hiker or jogger ends up in the litter box.
A little bit of local press but generally doesn't make it to national news

That's only because the Lion wasn't carrying a gun or a member of the NRA lol Otherwise it would have made the Nightly news big time.

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As the others have said, they "usually" dont attack people for the purpose of food, but will if they feel threatened etc. Also, if you think its hungry then you will look like a hotdog to it! Just like looney toones! Tell your friend he needs to replace the 10-22 he sold with a 6" 357 or a 12ga and #4 buckshot.

A friend of mine uses his 12ga with #4 on coyotes and swears it rolls at 75 yards every time.

When animals with large teeth and sharp claws get hungry, you cant be too carefull. I had a huge bobcat at my front door two weeks ago in broad daylight.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There have been several attacks and sightings in the Southern California areas near the foothills.

There have been attacks and a few killings of humans in Southern California and in British Columbia near Victoria, that is popular with bicyclists.

When I walk in the local foothills I always take a 45 with me plus several clips, due to presence of Mountain Lions.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
Lions, bobcats, coyote's and all similar predators are hunters. THey will attack ANYTHING they believe they can attack and easily take down. Yote's have attacked children in there own backyards while playing in the sandbox. I dont see why a mountain lion would be any different. Especially if hunger is fueling the attack. If its eatable, and available they will give it a go.

Personally, my 450 Marlin is going to be on my side every trip into the wilderness. Especially since predators are known to be local.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote