New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser in 6.5 x 55 Swede
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't really need persuading to get a variation on my UK firearms certificate to acquire a milsurplus Swedish Mauser, I just like talking about them, so guys...

who's got a Swedish Mauser and what have you got?

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete, I have 3 Swedish mausers. Two are mint condition unaltered military models 94 and 38. The third is a sporter I built from another M-94. It is stamped 1900 on the receiver and manufactured by Carl Gustav. It had been arsenal re-barreled with a match-grade barrel and drilled for the receiver peep sights, so I knew it was accurate when I found it. The bore had been honed to mirror smoothness. I had my gunsmith trim the barrel to 24 inches, forge the bolt and drill/tap for scope bases. Then, I inletted it into a Fajen stock, epoxy bedded, free-floated it and finished with 5 coats of Tru-Oil. It is a supreme deer rifle and has accounted for many one-shot kills.

The M-94 long rifle is also a Carl Gustav, 1924.
It has brilliant nitre blueing on the bolt stop, rear sight slide and band springs that is something to behold. The M-38 is a 1944 Husqvarna
with the turned-down bolt. Both live up to the legend of Swedish Mauser accuracy.

All of these guns I have seen are great pieces of workmanship and are truly a pleasure to own and shoot.

Posts: 3677 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<bearlake>
posted
I have always wanted a Swedish mauser in 6.5X55. How can I find one?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Correction: That was a Swedish Mauser Model 96, not a Model 94.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bearlake, you can get one through Samco Global Arms, Miami, FL. (305) 593-9782. www.samcoglobal.com

one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
1915 Carl Gustav ski trooper carbine. Love it to death.

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I have a number of Swedish Mausers, starting with a 1899 M96 by Obendorf and part of an original contract of 45,000 by the Mauser factory, a 1915 M96 unfired, 1919 M96, 1942 carbine and a sporter 1942 by Husqvarna

All shoot very well in our Service rifle competitions.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an M38 1942 Husqurvana 6.5x55 It is very accurate with just plain old open sights. Shoots a little high however with the 129 gr generic brand hollowpoints I am using through it. Has a little throat wear but still shoots good.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Ass Wallace:
I have a number of Swedish Mausers, starting with a 1899 M96 by Obendorf and part of an original contract of 45,000 by the Mauser factory, a 1915 M96 unfired, 1919 M96, 1942 carbine and a sporter 1942 by Husqvarna

All shoot very well in our Service rifle competitions.

I don't need to tell you the 1899 Oberndorf M-96 is a collectable, right?

When I think "military" rifle I visualize a military rifle, not something that's been cut down, butchered, modified or otherwise "sporterized." But hey . . . keep destroying them, and pretty soon I'll have the collection and it can only go up in value.

[Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am the proud owner of 5 Swedish Mausers:
4 M-96's with one being a target model with Soderin Target sights and a silver name plate on the side where the stock disk normally goes (it shoots sub 1" groups at 100 yds). The dates range from 1903-1916.
And 1 M-38 Cavalry dated 1944.

Although some people will have a heartattack by this statement, the M-38 was polished and reblued. An excellent condition bayonnet was also polished and reblued to match the gun. Finally, the stock was refinished. I realize that the collector value has dropped considerably, but then again, I have never sold one of my guns and do not plan on starting now. To make the M-38 more appealing to me, it shoots sub 3/4" 5-shot groups at 100 yds when I load 120 gr Sierra HPBT Nat. Match bullets. I was in shock the first time the bullets grouped like this, but the next two sets were also thumbnail size. And yes, my first target displaying these groups hangs on my refrigerator door.

Of all of my guns, my M-96 with Soderin sights is my favorite and I shoot it the most.

Shawn

Posts: 57 | Location: Mesa, AZ. | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Three in 6.5 X 55, all sporters. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Exercion>
posted
Ummmmm about a dozen here, most M96's including a target model wearing the Soderin sight, an M41b Sniper, a 1900 Oberndorf, and a couple of Husqvarna M38's....still need the M94 Carbine though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
DO any of you have a 6.5x55 with an improved shoulder?
If so does it have any improved ballistics?

Later...

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Roundbutt>
posted
I have a 1912 Swede unaltered military rifle except for a home made flash hider. I use 35 grains of surplus 4895 behind 120 grain match kings to get 3 inch 20 shot groups. I just completed a small ring Turk with the short Swede barrel cannot judge accuracy because I put on a receiver aperature sight and the hole is to big but so far it looks promising. The Turk stock was shortened but otherwise it is a military style.

one of us
posted Hide Post
P.O. Ackley, the great old wildcatter, said this about the 6.5X55.

Don't screw with it. It can not be inmproved.

Isn't it strange, but it seems to be virtually impossible for any one to only own one?

Three live here. A 96 and 38 in as issued condition, and another M38 with a composite stock and 1 1/2 to 6 power scope that I use for anything from varmints to elk.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right now only one:A 1941 Husqvarna M38. Would like to add a 94 and 96 to round out the collection.

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
<TEN>
posted
Hi everyone!
I think it's cool that you guys in the states like the swedish mausers so much!
Almost every hunter in sweden has owned or at least fired some rounds with a M96.
6,5x55 is the most common caliber for hunting in sweden.
For the moment i have an CG63 (Carl Gustaf sporter with heavy barrel) from 1941. I bought it for 10 USD.
Before that i had an M96 Oberndorf from 1898. I sold the M96 last year for approx 100 USD.

<green 788>
posted
While many folks find it hard to believe, I routinely shoot MOA groups (1" at 100 yards, and 3 inches at 300 yards) with my 1912 CG M96. This rifle was unissued, and has a perfect bore.

I also have a 1918 CG M96, which is almost as accurate. It needs recrowning, and I think it will hang right with the 1912. This rifle has a number 3 bore, but as I said, it still shoots 1.5 MOA or a little better.

My third Swede is a 1900 Oberndorf M38 (shortened M96), with all matching numbers. Number 1 bore. I have a "wallet group" fired with this rifle, three shots touching at 100 yards, with a fourth about 1/2" away...

The Swedish Mausers are incredible. Fit and finish are perfect in all ways I can see. My Oberndorf is nice, but I think Carl Gustav had the Germans beat for fit and finish, at least that seems the case when comparing my rifles...

Any rifleman who spends an appreciable amount of time with an M96 and doesn't fall in love is probably not a true rifleman [Wink] ...

And the 6.5 x 55 is a perfect cartridge, perhaps the world's most perfect cartridge.

But I am biased because of the rifles, so take that for what it's worth [Smile] ...

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, when you could buy Swedes 3 for $100. I cut one back to 20", fitted it with the cheapest peep sight around, soldered a takeoff ramp and bead to it and sold it for $75.

Played with it a little first and it would do 1.5" at 100 yards, my aged eyes and all.

After the first season, it came back for $50 with the report that the buyer had got his two deer with it. Second season, it went out to a cousin of the first buyer for the same $75. Came back in February for $50 with the report that it had killed two more deer. Long about August, I sold it again, think I got $85 that time.

That rascal kept it. Ruined a sweet thing for me. It's still out there, somewhere, and I bet that a stout pickup could not haul the deer it has killed by now.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
First Mauser I owned was a 1900 Oberndorf Swede Mod. 96 in mint condition. The dealer had a selection of three and I bought the Oberndorf instead of the Gustafs -- because it's a rarity.

Paid $99 for it and sold it for $300. Never shot it. Sort of wish I'd kept it.