Find
Notify
Tools

M1 in 308
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
I am looking at M1 in 308. Please forgive my ignorance in the description.

This looks like an M1 Garand but is shorter. It is in 308 and was made by springfield armory I am assuming in the late 40s.

I think this is what they refer to as a tanker style. It is not stamped Tanker.

This not a collectible as far as I know.

What is the history on these guns and asking price is $900.

What are your thoughts?

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10058 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Check out this link and/or do a google for 'Springfield Armory M1 Garand .308'.

It's probably a very good shooter. You can however, still get a real-deal M1 Garand via CMP for less than that. Or for about the same money (maybe a touch more) you can get a Springfield Armory M1-A in .308 that gives you a detachable magazine.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/st_0302_springfield/

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Thanks Matt new M1A's in California are up to around $1600 now

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10058 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's called a tanker. There were some issues though I can't recall the specifics. PM Kurt C. as he is up on the subject.

Posts: 55 | Location: DE | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
http://www.securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/2100/2115.htm
This is informative.

As far as price goes, Check Gunbroker and Auction Arms. Price seems a little steep to me, but I don't know much about the Tankers.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
You probably know that to make the change in the Garand from 30-06 to .308 that op rod length and stock length was changed among some other internal minor changes. I have never owned a .308 version but love the original but have heard that if the conversion was not done by someone that knows what they are doing to make them run right it might cause jamming problems. If it is a Springfield it is doubtful if you will have any issues. Enjoy the Tanker!
Bruce

Posts: 514 | Location: now in Lower Slower Delaware | Registered: 21 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
For the price of that .308 garand or an M1A you could respectively either buy two CMP rifles in 30-06 or two CMP rifles and a boatload of surplus ammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF the job is done correctly - ie. new barrel, magazine block - these are good rifles. A lttle obsolete, what with still using the original en-bloc clip, but fun guns none the less. The short version is a made-up thing as there weren't any ever built and officially fielded. If it's a private party sale see if you can take it to a range and try it out. The short versions sometimes have issues.
I have one done with barrel and block and it's every bit as good as any mil rifle I own. Just watch the thumb when you stuff a clip into it, heh.

Posts: 148 | Location: back in the USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

What you might be looking at is a new Springfield Armoury 308 Tanker Garand.

New as in the Gennesco Ill Springfield Armoury not the Govt Springfield Armoury of WWI and WWII.

Sometimes when I travel to Kalif., I carry my 308 Tanker Garand build by Roland Beaver.

If possible I would shoot the Tanker before buying.

Test some surplus ball and some Federal 168gr Match ammo in it.

They made the Tanker in 308 and 30-06.

If it shoots good with them, then you are good to go.

There is nothing wrong with getting a couple of CMP 30-06 Garands and a bunch of ammo in the 8 round clips either.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote