THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MILITARY FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Better of the AR's?(Bushmaster,DPMS,Olympic,Colt,etc?)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
Alot to pick from and they all advertise alot,but which ones seem to be doing the best?....Then there is the gas piston models now,Robinson and Sig for starters,are they worth the extra cost?...Thanks for the input!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a Colt kid, and you won't be sorry. We use the AR's at my work, and they seem to hold up the best.

Posts: 310 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 01 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We use a lot of different ARs and we have 11 of them for the use of our team (high power rifle competition). The best ones out there are RockRiver without a doubt.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of oejeffrey
posted Hide Post
Ford,chevy,coke,pepsi,cabelas,gander mountian the comparison debate goes on. How do you choose. I started off with a lefty ar named after a deer and had horrible results but then agian they did refund my money %100. I ended up finding someone that built a custom AR that is a dream. Bushmaster lower with a Compass Lake 2 stage trigger. Kreiger barrel ( pardon me if I spelled that wrong) and a custom made sling from Leslie Tam in Hawaii. I got lucky with my set up and it is not a easy choice for anyone to make but I think you would do better to try and find someone who could custom make you a rifle. It is YOUR rifle that you are going to buy with YOUR money.

Jeffrey WIlson N.R.A. Life Member
Kimber CDP II 1911
Because shooting someone with something other than a .45 is such a waste of time...they might live ?!!?!?
Custom A.R. Built by Mr. D. It is nice to reach out and touch someone at a 1000 yards.
Criminals rely on the kindness & pity of society.

Posts: 14 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Colt would be one of my last choices-unless you're looking for resale. The newer ones are not milspec (unless they have recently changed) non-standard trigger pins. The older ones had non-standard take down pins too. I have an early 70's Colt SP1 and a ew Rock River. If I were in the market again, it would be RR or Bushmaster.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have an early Colt and several Bushies. The Bushies have done as well as the Colt.

I do know folks who have had feeding problems with Oly's. The Oly 9mm conversion is not good. The Colt magazine approach is better.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Bushies and RR.

oejeffrey,
Can you elaborate on the lefty Stag problems? One of my sons is left handed,and I've been wanting to build an AR for him, based on their stripped LH lower.
Thanks, Dave

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oejeffrey,
So how about the lefties?

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone makes a lemon sometimes. Fact is Stag is really CMT, one of THE oldest AR15 component manufacturers. Smith & Wesson chose Stag for their AR15 build. I've made a lot of build on Stag parts with nary a problem and more then expected accuracy and reliability. I also own Colt, which by the way in the early days (don't know about later and present) was made up of a high majority of CMT part. I think Bushmaster and Armalite are good too, along with Rock Rivers Arms. Double Star is getting some good reviews too. DPMS has been at this a long time too. Best source for AR15 information is over at the AR15.com forum.

Picture of RustyNut
posted Hide Post
I'd have to agree with the Ford-Chevy analogy. Everyone likes what they own.
With that said the only AR I've ever owned is a DPMS, 24" heavy barrel. We were out shooting p-dogs twice last year and with over 700 rounds shot without cleaning I never had a problem. Using TAC powder may have helped.

Posts: 24 | Location: MN | Registered: 25 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
CMMG is my favorite.

Of the lower end AR's, Del ton is one of the best out there.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of oejeffrey
posted Hide Post
Well here is my thoughts on that AR named after a deer.
I was truly excited to have my first AR and wanted a St*g as I lost my right eye in a accident a few years ago. The people at St*g were great to talk to. I never had a problem with them. There customer service was 100% satisfying to me. But then there was the rifle. It would fire the first string of fire without a problem and then once I stopped pulling the trigger...I had to pull back the charging handle everytime to get it to load a round. It literally became a bolt action rifle. it went back to the factory 3 times. After the third time of the rifle becoming bolt action instead of semi auto I picked up my cell and told St*g I wanted my money back and they said no problem. The people there were wonderful to deal with & I was truly disapointed that I could not get a lefty AR from the company that I thought would be the leader in lefty AR rifles. I had 4 different people look at the rifle. I cleaned the rifle agian and agian and agian. I did everything I could do that I knew of to get that rifle to work and it wouldn't. I got a refund and now have a custom AR that I am thrilled with. I wish I could say better things about there rifles but I can't. The people there are nice though.
As far as being a lefty.....well I am a righty but shoot lefty because my right eye is gone. Not once have I ever had a problem with a standard rifle shooting brass in my face. I am very comtherable shooting left handed with a righty rifle.

Kimber CDP II 1911
Because shooting someone with something other than a .45 is such a waste of time...they might live ?!!?!?
Custom A.R. Built by Mr. D. It is nice to reach out and touch someone at a 1000 yards.

Posts: 14 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I was Stag, or any other company, with the scenario you just described, I'd given you a new rifle. I mean there are only so many parts that make an AR15 work. Makes me think they get the rifle back and play poker or something, then ship it back to you. Hard to believe.

Picture of oejeffrey
posted Hide Post
Star
you are right...this story is unfortunately hard to believe especially for me. Like I said earlier I had a accident and it left me with my left eye only ( one eyed jokes available for a small user fee ) but believe me sir...there is no one more dissapointed in this story than me.

Kimber CDP II 1911

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
He's actually been shooting RH guns left handed, but I would like to get him a lefty AR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I bought a Stag lefty H-bar when they first came out. No problems to date and I am thinking about getting another as a shorty.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello oejeffery,
You know that Stag was the best thing you have ever had the pleasure to shoot in your entire life!! Balanced well, fit and finish very well done, accurate, and yet you bitch about the "minor problem" of it being a bolt gun w/ a 30 round magazine attached!! That arrangement is a very rare set up and you kept hounding the poor mfg. until they gave you your money back. (Some people you just can not satisfy, no matter what.) It would shoot at longer distances, held more rounds, accurate at longer distances than the Kimber you have, costs a great deal less and don't hear any bitching about the Kimber??? You made a big mistake in letting that one of a kind AR15 slip through your hands and ending up with that boring AR15 you now have. All it does is just shoot, function fine and deadly accurate and compared to that Stag that has to be boring. Plus you have that crazy one of a kind rear sight on your boring custom AR15. It is a cry'n shame you can not post a photo of that rig and display what you ended up with instead of that Stag "bolt action" AR15

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of oejeffrey
posted Hide Post
You just would not believe what has happened to me in the last week or so !!! I actually recieved a call from a individual who would not reveal their idenity but said that they were a special representative from St*g Arms and was challenging my manlyhood because I had said some "discouraging" remarks about his product. I believe someone has set out with some misinformation trying to make me look bad and is in need of clarification. While yes indeed I was excited to have a truly lefty AR...had I had known the grief that was about to set upon me I never would have bought a St*g. Now it appears that my honor has been questioned and my shooting skills have been challenged. While yes I own a Kimber pistol I believe it to be one of the most reliable and accurate pistols out there. Atleast it knows it is not a bolt action pistol. So now I do own a ultra reliable custom AR that functions flawlessly and it superbly accurate. I do have to agree that it is rather boring and maybe causing some small amount of muscle atrophy as I do not get to pull that charging handle as often as I used to.
I would own no other AR though.
I just wish I knew who the guy was that thinks he is a special representative. Maybe he is "special" though.

Kimber CDP II 1911

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rock River.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote