New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got M1 Garand back today
 Login/Join

<Jeff Myhre>
posted
I just got my M1 Garand back today from Clint Fowler in Virginia USA. He did his rear lug accuracy package deal, installed match sights, and installed a new Med. Wt. NM barrel from a Douglas blank. He did some test firing from a bench and was astonished to be able to put 5 shots into a .350" group @100yds [Eek!] . after tinkering with the adjustable gas system. Not to bad for a WWII battle rifle huh?
Any I can't wait to go out and shoot it this weekend and shoot the same load he used. I will let you guys know how it went.
Jeff

<stans>
posted
The capabilities of the Garand are just amazing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Myhre:
I just got my M1 Garand back today from Clint Fowler in Virginia USA. He did his rear lug accuracy package deal, installed match sights, and installed a new Med. Wt. NM barrel from a Douglas blank. He did some test firing from a bench and was astonished to be able to put 5 shots into a .350" group @100yds [Eek!] . after tinkering with the adjustable gas system. Not to bad for a WWII battle rifle huh?
Any I can't wait to go out and shoot it this weekend and shoot the same load he used. I will let you guys know how it went.
Jeff

Jeff, does Clint have a web site? This peeked my interest.

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Peter>
posted
What did Clint Fowler charge for these services?
peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's great! I've always heard that he has a good reputation, but I've never heard anything specific. Thanks for the report!

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
The ADI factory (Lithgow Small Arms factory) is making new Garand actions for, I think, Ruger. The gunsmith I use has been contracted to put the barrels on, as ADI has sold most of the equipment needed. Just thought you guys might be interested.

Bakes

Posts: 7976 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I picked up a Garand for $149.95 Canadian from a local store that got a shipment of ton of them. My action is Winchester, the bolt is Springfield and the barrel is Danish, I belive.

I'm constantly amazed by how the thing shoots. I've put five rounds into 2.5 inches at 200m with this rifle, using the original sights and basic handloads.

I consider it the best $149.95 I ever spent! [Big Grin]

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Jeff Myhre>
posted
Clint charged the following for the services he did to my rifle.
>$500 for the rear lug accuracy package
>$150 to install my barrel
>$30 to test fire for function and accuracy
>$30 for shipping
His website is www.M1-M1A-AR15.com
Jeff [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Jeff,sounds pretty sweet!What kind of wood do you have on it?I have two garands,imho,they're the cadillac of the .30 cal service rifles.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Springfield M1 at the same place P-17 did. Same price, too 149.95 Canadian, about $100 US.

This gun consistently will shoot 1.5 or better at 100 yards.

Quite frankly, I think that if it had a scope on it and I could see the target better, it would make 1 hole groups.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Jeff Myhre>
posted
Claybuster, I have a Boyd's laminated birch stock on it. Looks pretty sweet.
Jeff [Eek!]

<eldeguello>
posted
Fantastic performance from ANY .30/'06!! Even a bull-barreled M70 is not that good!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, how much time was needed for your rifle to be finished. I have a lot matchs this summer so time is an issue.
Thanks

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
The ADI factory (Lithgow Small Arms factory) is making new Garand actions for, I think, Ruger. The gunsmith I use has been contracted to put the barrels on, as ADI has sold most of the equipment needed. Just thought you guys might be interested.

Bakes

I believe the new ADI actions are being made for Springfield Armory. Nobody else is selling newly manufactured M-1 Garands today.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Jeff Myhre>
posted
TBS, The approximate time for completion was 6 months, give or take a week. Give Clint a call, he might be able to work something out with you to get your rifle back sooner.
Jeff [Roll Eyes]

one of us
Picture of Zippy The Pinhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orion 1:
believe the new ADI actions are being made for Springfield Armory. Nobody else is selling newly manufactured M-1 Garands today.

No, the Lithgows are not being used by SA, so far as I know. Century has been selling "new" M1 Garands with receivers from Spain and apparently Lithgow. These can be seen in Big 5, etc.

The cast receivers on these rifles are junk. See:
http://www.fulton-armory.com/Lithgow-TI.htm

Posts: 276 | Location: California, USA | Registered: 22 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zippy The Pinhead:
quote:
believe the new ADI actions are being made for Springfield Armory. Nobody else is selling newly manufactured M-1 Garands today.

No, the Lithgows are not being used by SA, so far as I know. Century has been selling "new" M1 Garands with receivers from Spain and apparently Lithgow. These can be seen in Big 5, etc.

The cast receivers on these rifles are junk. See:
http://www.fulton-armory.com/Lithgow-TI.htm

Well then, how do you explain the NRA's American Rifleman Dope Bag test/article on the new SA M1? Not only does the author specifically name ADI as the source of the new receivers, there's a photo of a receiver with the imprint: ADI Australia, plainly visible on the underside.

BTW, ADI could possibly be making TWO M1 receivers in two separate levels of quality, depending on what its customers specify and are willing to pay. That's just speculation on my part, though.

Unless the NRA is wrong, I am confident ADI makes the receiver on the Springfield Armory Garands. I am also confident that if SA chose ADI, it is because ADI can make the part correctly to SA's specs. Some companies still do care about quality and I have seen no indication that SA is otherwise.

In fact, in direct contrast to the observations of the Fulton Armory guy, the NRA has this to say regarding the ADI receiver purchased by SA:

quote:
The replica receiver is investment cast by A.D.I. of Lithgow, Australia. Springfield representatives tell us original G.I. blueprints were consulted when this project was started, and such attention to detail is evident. Our test example exhibits no casting voids and is overall of a very high standard. We compared the receiver of the new gun against an original made in 1944 by the US arsenal of the same name, and there was not one contour or groove on the original that you couldn't find on the new receiver. Given the different manufacturing processes, there are accordingly fewer and fainter machining marks.
Source: American Rifleman, July 2002, pages 62 to 64.

[ 05-17-2003, 21:07: Message edited by: Orion 1 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
ADI Lithgow makes the recievers for both Springfield and Century. I understand that they are junk.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BECoole:
ADI Lithgow makes the recievers for both Springfield and Century. I understand that they are junk.

Based on what? Hearsay? I have found no evidence that the receivers used by SA are crap.

Yes, some made by ADI for others seem to be crap. However, that doesn't mean that ADI can produce junk for someone willing only to pay for junk, while at the same time making a first class product for someone else willing to pay accordingly.

It's done ALL the time.

If you have evidence that the new receivers bought by Springfield Armory are junk, please share it with us.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have been suprised if you were disappointed.

Clint is the 'Best' M1 man in the country. I remember your question about him way back in January.

Posts: 128 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Based on what? Hearsay? I have found no evidence that the receivers used by SA are crap.

Buy what you like!

http://www.fulton-armory.com/CAI-TI.htm

http://pub125.ezboard.com/fcollectorguns35625frm17.showMessage?topicID=34.topic

http://talk.shooters.com/room_43/5804.cfm

[url]http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=afet2t%24711%241%40grapevine.wam.umd.edu&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26 q%3Dspringfield%2Barmory%2Breceivers%2Blithgow%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg[/url]

That last one is a search on REC.GUNS through Google for "Springfield Armory Lithgow".

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Buy what you like!

http://www.fulton-armory.com/CAI-TI.htm

http://pub125.ezboard.com/fcollectorguns35625frm17.showMessage?topicID=34.topic

http://talk.shooters.com/room_43/5804.cfm

[url]http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=afet2t%24711%241%40grapevine.wam.umd.edu&rnum=3&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26 q%3Dspringfield%2Barmory%2Breceivers%2Blithgow%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg[/url]

That last one is a search on REC.GUNS through Google for "Springfield Armory Lithgow".

CAI is not Springfield Armory. So far you haven't produced a single piece of evidence that anything made by Springfield Armory is substandard. Again, just hearsay.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, CAI is not Springfield Armory. But the Garand receivers that Springfield uses are the same as the CAI receivers.
What, you think Lithgow has a "junk" production line for Century and a "quality" line for Springfield?.

Hey, ask Clint if he likes building on Lithgow receivers.

[ 05-23-2003, 20:32: Message edited by: BECoole ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

What, you think Lithgow has a "junk" production line for Century and a "quality" line for Springfield?.

I already explained how that is entirely possible. If you made your living in manufacturing like I do, you would understand how.

I frankly don't care what "Clint" thinks. Until he examines a "Sprinfield Armory" branded receiver, his comments don't mean shit in the context of my original post.