Find
Notify
Tools

Help IDing this Enfield '03
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted
A buddy has a WWII vintage Enfield and would like to know more about it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Here's some of the markings found on the rifle.

receiver left side
No 4MK2
UF 55 A 5583

receiver right side
D

left side of trigger loop
F

right side of trigger loop
^
44lPB

left side of fore end band
E

right side of fore end band
F

along the sides of the front sight blade
^ F

Right side of muzzle

303 UK
CAI ST ALB VT

Taurus Bill

Posts: 179 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the Mark 4’s I have seen have the serial number and the date of manufacture stamped in the butt socket of the receiver. Pull the stock off and you can see it.

Other than that, I’m not sure what it is that you want to know. They are a great rifle, and I have seen some made into really nice and handy sporters.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted Hide Post
My friend didn't really say if there was anything specifically he wanted to know, just wondering if there's anything unique or interesting. I'll tel him where to look if he ends up removing the stock but it's in such great shape he's probably going to keep it as is.

Thanks Rick for the reply.

Taurus Bill

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Taurus Bill:
My friend didn't really say if there was anything specifically he wanted to know, just wondering if there's anything unique or interesting. I'll tel him where to look if he ends up removing the stock but it's in such great shape he's probably going to keep it as is.

Thanks Rick for the reply.

That's just the basic, standard-issue British WWII service rifle, the last descendant of the Short Magazine Lee-Enfield (SMLE) in .303 British. Some of these same rifles were later converted by the Brits to 7.62X51mm NATO caliber in the late 1950's. I have seen some of the No. 4's that would shoot into less than 1 MOA with specifically tailored handloads. They're fun rifles, but not worth a whole lot.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a #4 mk 1, and it is a hoot to shoot. Surplus ammo is tough to find anymore, but the cordite stuff was pretty nasty anyway.

The mk 2 was an improvement over earlier models, as its trigger pivot is on the receiver. Earlier models pivoted on the trigger guard and the pull could change with the weather or stock moisture content.

He probably has a little 2 aperture flip sight on it. He can buy a micrometer sight from springfield sporters or other parts source that can be readily swapped, for about $10.

Curious Relic

Posts: 6 | Location: Pierre, SD USA | Registered: 12 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted Hide Post
This gun is in beautiful shape, and already has the vernier type rear sight mounted up ahead of the receiver. I'm used to having my eye right up on the rear sight, ala AR-15. Jeff, the owner, likes it the way it is so more power to him. He also rolls his own so ammo isn't a problem either. Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

Taurus Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
what you have there is a 1955 manufactured NO4 MK2 Lee Enfield built at Fazakerley in England these rifles differ from the WW2 rifles by having the trigger hinged off the reciever as opposed to the trigger guard on the earlier rifles these rifles were usually stocked in Beech and are very light coloured almost yellow they shoot very well as they are were built with a little bit more attenion to detail
of all the No4's this model is the more desirable from a shooting point of veiw it should have the MK1 singer back sight the other markings are manufactures codes
I would guess the rifle was imported by Century Arms International
these rifles can be real tackholers with good reloads

Posts: 249 | Location: Australia | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote