New
Find
Notify
Tools

A good trigger for a VZ24?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will be picking up the 2 VZ24's I bought in a few days and am planning on building one into a custom and the other for just plain shooting. I have seen some links before on a few triggers that people liked and am looking for suggestions or the links once again.

Thanks.

Also any thoughts on the 8X57 necked down to 6.5 or even a 6.5X57 IMP.
I have settled on making one of them a 6.5 Roberts Imp. 40* since it is based off the 7 or 8 X57 case.

Thanks again.

[ 11-23-2002, 06:17: Message edited by: Lucky Shot ]

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Dayton-Traister trigger. I've got 2, both on Mausers. I have a third Mauser with a Timney. I don't see any difference between the 2 brand in performance but the Dayton is more compact so less wood has to be removed during inletting.

Dayton Web Page

Daytons are also available from Brownells

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I much prefer the feel of the Dayton-Traister, although it uses a flat spring which could snap (I have never experienced this problem). The Timney I tried had the trigger sitting right in the middle of the opening, not at the back, and was hard to adjust. The set screw at the front kept backing out too, requiring loc-tite eventually.

The D-T's were great just as they arrived.

HTH,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That was the trigger I was looking for but couldn't remember the name.
Question. If I modify the safety say I instal a shorter one then there would be no reason to get a trigger with a safety?

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always used Timneys on my Mausers and I like them a lot. I have been thinking about trying one of the Bold triggers. Anybody used one? BTW Todd, I'm glad the stock worked out for you. Post or send a pic if you can.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lucky Shot,

If I were you [Wink] I would use the Dayton Traister trigger, and a PME Buehler style safety. This is a very classy look. You could also use the Dayton-Traister Mark II safety, but this is a little too "high-tech" for my tastes, not really matching the overall Mauser look. Stay away from the triggers w/ safeties -- why go from a 100% safe striker blocking safety to an unreliable trigger blocking one?

Craigster,

I will try to post some pics soon. It is almost finished! This has actually turned out to be my best looking rifle yet -- long ebony forend schnable, metal grip cap, Silvers-type pad with the inletted 'beak,' stock bolt. There was even some fiddleback hidden in that stock. Thanks!

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<RickMD>
posted
craigster:

I really like the Bold triggers. My experience is that they are a bit crisper than the Timneys (sportsman type). Dayton-Traister would be my third choice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

How do the Boyd's and D-T compare directly? I love the feel of the D-T, just the flat spring & danger of breakage concerns me (darn you Ray for raising that spectre!). I will probably try the Boyd's for my next Mauser. For the Enfield, I guess I'm stuck with Timney...

Thanks,
Todd

one of us
posted Hide Post
LS,

WRT calibers, why not just stick with the 8x57? I have gone full circle with Mausers, from extensive mods for belted mags (works ok), to modern high pressure rounds (not too good results with that one), and am now back to what they were built for -- I am completing a trio of 7x57, 8x57, and 9.3x62, all in quasi-classic style modified to fit my individual taste. In this fashion, you can build yourself a true custom, CRF, classic rifle, without blowing thousands of $$.

If you want a 6.5, why not the x55 or x57?

Best luck whatever you do,
Todd

<RickMD>
posted
Todd:

I'd have to say that they (Bold and D-T) have very similar pulls when properly adjusted. From my experience, the Bold is easier to adjust. I've had two instances with the D-T's that were unsafe when adjusted to a light pull. I had to replace them with Timneys. Both rifles were '03 Springfields....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Getzen:

If you want a 6.5, why not the x55 or x57?

Best luck whatever you do,
Todd

I have done a little looking into just that and it looks to me the BOB has a little less case volumn than just knecking down the 57 but a little more than the 55. So after looking at the BOB and what it will do and with just the amount of powder I was looking to use I settled on it as being the "one". The swede 55 or the 260 just don't quite do what I want and the 06 or necked down 57 seem to be just a bit more than I am looking for so there it is.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I have one D-T and 2 Bolds. I like both, but then I also have one Timney that I like just fine also.
Where did you find a PME Buehler style safety for sale? This is a very classy look and I only have one Jaeger built gun with one. All others have the cheap stamped look. [Wink]

LouisB

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too would like to know where to get the safety. I ordered a short chambered barrel from Midway in 6.5X55 so we will see what it turns into be it a 6.5X55 BJ Imp or what. I ended up getting the feather weight Timiney since it was also on sale and it is nice to save a little weight when I can I guess. Midway has a reamer for 6.5X55 Imp. but I don't know the dementions if it is the .455 or the .465 shoulder.
The small problem I have with going with the 6.5X55 is the case head. I thought I read that some manufactures are making cases with the standard 06 size case head. Is that right or is the difference so small that I don't have to oppen up the bolt face???

one of us
posted Hide Post
PME Safety:

http://www.precisemetalsmithing.com/2pc%20bases%20&%20LSS.htm

I will say that the Buehlers are classy looking, although I like the PME/Gentry/etc. 3 pos. side swings better. I also have a PME 2 pos. - that looks nice too; it retains the original Mauser 'old' look, which comes almost entirely from the shroud. If you replace it with an FN no safety shroud, or the 3 pos safety w/ it's own shroud, they tend to look like any other modern rifle.

I have a couple of open sight only mausers, and I really like the original flag safety best of all.

Todd