Find
Notify
Tools

Forged or cast Lower
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which do you'll like or workds the best Thanks

Posts: 73 | Location: Haines City.FL.USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
I think a good quality cast reciever is fine for most 1911's. Caspian is said to have fewer problems with their cast recievers than their forged recievers. Essex used to have a spotty reputation with their receivers, however they now use CNC milling machines and their quality has improved.

<Eric>
posted
Well, you didn't say what for, but it does not matter so much of what it is made as to how it is finished.

For most (not all) applications, either rifle or pistol, a cast receiver will do as well as a forging. IF it was made out of good material and was heat treated.

My two cents.

Eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
Question:

Did you mean teh question to be aimed at 1911 style pistols or AR-15 style rifles?

For 1911 pistols, it depends on how much they'll be used. If for an IPSC gun ... get the best forged frame you can afford! These guns take terrific abuse, but the frames can/will last a very long time ... many tens of thousands of rounds!

In addition, on these I prefer the best slide I can get. The Baer slides are forged and then CNC machined ... very true (straight). No cuts in the ejection port area that weaken the slide. (Have lost two Springfield slides at ~35k to 40k rnds to cracks ... would not use another.)

For AR-15 type rifles: Is pretty much a taste and budget thing. I'd usually prefer a forged receiver if I could afford it. Cost difference here is usually not great.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It all depends on which kind of casting you're talking about and which alloy is used to make the casting or forging. There's sand casting, investment casting, lost wax casting, vaccum arc remelt, exct. ect.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the help

Posts: 73 | Location: Haines City.FL.USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
Of course he didn't have the technology available in today's manufacture, but John Moses Browning specified a forged receiver and slide. Forging aligns molecular structure at the atomic level in a way no casting can duplicate regardless of quality.

But then I have a Romanian AK-47 (SAR-1) that's stamped sheet metal. (I suppose that's sort of a "forging" . . . ) Kalashnikov specifies a sheet metal receiver. I trust the designers.