Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Japanese "Type 1" rifle info
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
But this one I've located has a bit of a twist to it...it's a single shot. Was made that way from git-go. Very few markings on the rifle. A faint (serial?) number of 185 on the receiver and the same number on the stock. Some Japanese cartouche type writing on the stock. Decent 6.5 bore.

Do you suppose this was some kind of a Type I trainer? The stock, sights, and hardware are otherwise very similar to a Type 38. But's it for sure a Caracano action and a single shot at that.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Don't know of a Type 1 but have heard of Type 38, 44 & 99

What calibre is it? This site may help

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
It's like a 6.5 Model 38 but with a Carcano action, made in Italy. What little I have learned is that there were about 60,000 made for the Japanese Navy 1937-39. But so far the info found on the links I've located (including that one you recommended) is very limited.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Found It:

You have a Type I rifle in 6.5x50 made by the Italians for the Japanese during WW11. Were shipped to Japan by submarine. Some say 66000 some say 12000 made. They were made using Carcano actions and Japanese Arisaka type hardware. They are usually very nice and have tight chambers. They are fairly common and usually sell for around $200 give or take $50. On some the stocks have been cut of about one inch and butt plate put back on. Colors of finish vary. riceone.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

It's like a 6.5 Model 38 but with a Carcano action, made in Italy. What little I have learned is that there were about 60,000 made for the Japanese Navy 1937-39. But so far the info found on the links I've located (including that one you recommended) is very limited.

These are not type "1"'s, but are Type "I"'s. They are made with an Italian Mann. Carcano action that is modifiend to permiot use of the Arisaka 5-shot staggered-round magazine, and barreled for the 6.5X50mm Arisaka cartridge. Now, I don't know if this "I" stands for ITALY or what, but that seems logical! I once owned one, and it shot well. I decided to put a scope on it, so I cut the bolt handle off from the middle of the bolt body and silver-soldered it to the back end of the bolt so I could mount a scope over the rear receiver ring. I used a Weaver J4 scope, which has an eye relief sufficient to mount the scope forward to where the straight bolt handle on the end of the bolt didn't hit the scope when opened. I used 160 grain Hornady roundnose bullets in it at a MV of 2200 FPS. It had great penetration!

<eldeguello>
posted
Bad Ass!! Nice aircraft!!

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
In a dank corner of the local gunshop I encountered what I think is a Type 1 Japanese rifle. Unable to find much info on this model. Does anybody know of a good internet link for info on these?