THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MILITARY FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New stock for VZ-24... will a Turkish 38 fit?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for a new military stock, and am unsure if a Turkish 1938 stock will fit a VZ-24. Will this one fit? BTW I seen the Turkish stocks, with hand guard, for $17.00, in Shotgun News. The stock length seems to be longer then my barrel length, but thats fine, I intend to sporerize it simular to the JungleCarbine from an artical in Hatari Times (which reminds me of a M1 Carbine rifle). Thanks. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The turk stock will work but you will need to do a lot of fitting to MAKE it work. The barrel contours are not similar and the handguard, should you want to use it, will not attach to the VZ24. Secondly, these Turk stocks are very very rough and require a lot of finishing. They are by no means drop-in.

Since you are sporterizing it you may be better off ordering a second from Richards microfit. For not much more money you will have a better designed stock.

-M

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
z1r... Thanks for the responce. I wasn't aware that Richard's sold 'seconds'. This may be what I might end up doing, seeing as that the Turk stock is not drop-in, esp that the hand guard won't fit properly (I want a guard on this rifle).
I still have the original stock, which is a crude piece of material, to say the least. I've read that Easy-Off Oven Cleaner will clean up the crud/grease, etc on the surface. I'll try this first. If I don't care for the results, I'll order a different stock.
Any further hints, suggestions are welcome. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Roundbutt>
posted
The large ring turk stock will work better it is the same lenth as the vz24.
steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
RB... thanks. The add only says its a 1938 model, nothing about it being a large ring. I have no idea what size/lenght a 1938 model Mauser is, but I did learn a M48 is an intermediate length, though. So, it's easy to understand the confusion here. I suppose I may call the company selling the stock and ask them about it. ~~~Suluuq

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The M38 stock is for a large ring. However the front receiver ring on some of the M38's was .100" longer than a standard ring. Also the M38 Handguard attached via a recess in the front ring not by a spring clip.

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
The M38 stock is for a large ring. However the front receiver ring on some of the M38's was .100" longer than a standard ring. Also the M38 Handguard attached via a recess in the front ring not by a spring clip.

Assuming the ring length is simular, can the hand guard be modified to use the clip?
Are the rear sights in a simular spot, allowing for the "window" on the hand guard to be in simular locations? Will I need to remove some wood from the front/rear of the guard to fit the VZ-24? Thanks. ~~~Suluuq

<Roundbutt>
posted
All the turks had Large ring actions but Small and large ring barrels.the front receiver ring on the small ring barrel M38's was shorter than a standard ring.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Go back to my original post: "The turk stock will work but you will need to do a LOT of fitting to MAKE it work.". The handguard can probably be fitted with the spring. But that is no guarantee that the sight cutout will work too. Since the barrel contours are different the sights may or may not sit in the same spot. I think it will wotk but in my opinion it ain't worth the hassle.

Besides, these stocks come very rough, unfinnished, and oversized (in this case it might be a good thing) and don't come with the bolt take down tube in the butt.

You might want to check Ebay for a VZ stock, they are there in the dozens.

I took a vz of mine that had terrible muzzle wear and shortened the barrel to 19" I cut the stock back in the same proportions and made a nice little carbine out of it. Looks originla only smaller.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Gunn:
I'm looking for a new military stock, and am unsure if a Turkish 1938 stock will fit a VZ-24. Will this one fit? BTW I seen the Turkish stocks, with hand guard, for $17.00, in Shotgun News. The stock length seems to be longer then my barrel length, but thats fine, I intend to sporerize it simular to the JungleCarbine from an artical in Hatari Times (which reminds me of a M1 Carbine rifle). Thanks. ~~~Suluuq

Suluug, I have 2 decent walnut VZ-24 stocks(for free) collecting dust! email me if your interested [Big Grin]

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
Instead of spending a lot of time and money on a pieced together surplus "parts gun" -- why not just take about $99 these days and get a Yugo M-48 or M-98 or whatever the number is.

I have a Yugo. The stock seems to be birch or something not horridly exotic. It's a shorter rifle like the VZ-24 and like new. I closed the grain on the stock with steel wool and linseed oil. It's not birdseye maple, but it's nice for a $100 gun.

I've shopped around for Mausers and seen lots of the long barrel versions (29" bbl) with walnut stocks that are clean.

The VZ-24 is a nice configuration. Stripping the stock with "Easy Off" -- (I used furniture stripper.) may remove most of the soaked in oil. Setting the wood next to a stove or in the baking sun helps to bleed out this oil too, although five years of "bleeding" on the Turk and it still sweats oil in the sun or when it gets hot from shooting.

These guns are neat for long-range shooting. We use them with circa 1940's ammo at ten cents / rd for shooting at stumps from about 700 yds. Iron sights, bench rested. Generally we can pick which corner of the stump we want to hit at 700 yds.

I'm getting 155 gr. Turk military ammo (steel jacketed bullets) to run 2965 fps from the longer barreled guns. That's pretty hot stuff.

Every time I hear someone talk about hacking one of these old guns apart in order to "customize" or "sporterize" something I cringe.

You can buy from SamCo.com a "barreled action" -- or Century too I think. Drop this is a "custom" injection molded plastic stock. Leave the war horses intact. They're PERFECT just the way Paul Mauser put them together.