New
Find
Notify
Tools

u.s. army winter hat info needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
the hat is described as green wool on the outside, with fur ear flaps and on the inside was quilted down. this hat is extremely warm. this was used in the chosin reservoir campaign of korean conflict.

could this be a w.w.2 ernie pyle hat?

where could i buy and original or a replica manufactured today?

anyone know of a link on the net where i could pick one up/

many thanks.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to http://www.sportsmansguide.com and search for item # LX5M-90955.

Just a suggestion, but the Mad-Bomber winter hats are really nice. Waterproof Nylon shell and real rabbit fur trim. Fold down ear flaps and visor with rabbit fur trim. I’ve worn mine in Alaska in wind chill temps around 50 below.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rick;

thanks for the reply. yes, i am planning on using it in ak.

no, that is not the one. that one is still current issue. the one i am looking for was w.w.2. and or korea issue.

??????

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to just about any Army surplus store or web site and they should have a bunch of them.

I’ll pull out some books and see if I can find a US number/name designation for you.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here’s what I have and I can testify that they are great in super cold and windy weather.

http://www.supercasuals.com/category.cfm/161

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rick;

i am familiar with the mad bomber and that is a cheap price for it.

however, the hat i am looking for is the warmest hat i have ever had on.

the ernie pyle is not easy to find, i have been looking for it for awhile.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look for a book by Shelby Stanton titled: US Army Uniforms of WWII. I would bet that he shows what you’re looking for and will give a GI model name/number for it. Then just start contacting surplus stores.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just thought of these guys: http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/index2.htm

They build authentic repo WWII uniforms and field gear and they are really knowledgable and have an extensive research library on the subject.

Give them a call.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
http://www.colemans.com Has the goods,,and then some.I've purchased many items from them,,,very nice people. Good luck,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rick;

the impressions web site does not show the hat and hwne i call their machine does not take messages. business must be good for them.

the colemans web site did not have it either.

thanks for trying guys, not an easy one to track down.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the hat that Radar on Mash always wore.For some reason I think they where called Jeep caps.

http://www.flyingtigerssurplus.com/c-7-p-123-id-7.html

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
still no luck.

the jeep cap is 100%.

the hat i am looking for has quilted down on the inside of the hat, the outside is o.d. wool and there are fur ear flaps. very comfortable and super warm. also super hard to find. my cousin has this hat that his father wore in korea and he won't part with it for anything...

thanks for the info guys.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
My dad has one in his basement that was rotted through. I'm going there for Christmas, and if it's still there, I'll see if I can find an NSN or tag.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
120mm;

thank you.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the time you find one it’ll be summer and you won’t need it! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
could this be a w.w.2 ernie pyle hat?

Could be-when I was stationed in AK in the late 1960's, the Army issued us what was called a Pyle Cap. I was not aware that it was named for WWII Correspondent Ernie Pyle, but that makes sense! It was OD green but I think the exterior shell was cotton sateen or some man-made fabric, and the earflaps were insulated with some wooly stuff that was a synthetic material(not fur, anyway. "medium tufted faux fur") The front bill had the same stuff on the outside of it. The only fur on any issue garments was the wolf or wolverine (non-frosting-up!!) fur ruff around the front edge of the parka hood!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by baboon:
Sounds like the hat that Radar on Mash always wore.For some reason I think they where called Jeep caps.

Nope! That ain't it!!

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Here you go! This is what we were issued at Ft Wainwright (Fairbanks) It's "TA-50" stuff. Scroll down about half the page on this site to: Extreme Cold Weather Hat..... Sale Price $13.50.

Extreme Cold Weather Hat.
"Arctic Weather Military cap
This cap is made of lightweight polyester exterior. The interior is made of the quilting that is filled with batting, that of warm bed quilts. The neck, ear and frontal flaps are lined with a medium tufted faux fur. It snaps close under the neck with 3 sizing choices. Great hat for comfort and warmth.
Condition: Surplus - Used Good"

http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/products.asp?CAT=32&SU...=43&imageField3.y=13

One of Us
posted Hide Post
el deguello; beer

many thanks for your info.

the trail is now getting warmer.

i spoke to that store. the guy said he knows that hat, korean war issue. he too said that it is the warmest hat he has ever had on his head and wants one for himself too. he is checking his block long 6 story high warehouse to see if he has anymore of them. he calls them vintage hats. he says that hat had real down in it and that is not used any more and the hats of today are not nearly as warm. he had one about 2 months ago and it was snapped right up.

many thanks.

Cold Zero