New
Find
Notify
Tools

P-17 sights
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
does anyone know what distance the sights on this rifle are set for when the ladder is down?

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
More than likely,100yds.Does yours have the volley sights on the side of the stock?

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
no, no volley sights. but i think you're wrong about the 100 yards. the sights can be adjusted to 100 yards when i raise the ladder and put the aperture at its lowest setting. however, when i use the aperture with the ladder folded down against the receiver, i hit about 11 inches high at 100 yards. i think the sight is set for the "battle sight" distance. i'm not sure but i believe that to be about 480 yards. does any of this ring a bell??

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
My Winchester shoots point of aim at 300yards with the sight down. As far as I am aware the rifle is all original.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300 yards.....i'll try it. i was not sure about the distance. i thought it was further than that. thanks......

<eldeguello>
posted
You are right to assume that the aperture-down position ios a battle sight, intended to give you a hit SOMEWHERE on a man-sized target from the muzzle out to beyond 500 yards with a "belt-buckle" hold....

[ 06-24-2003, 00:51: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Bill,
I dont know the exact setting for the battle sight but I was lucky enough to find a mint P17(Remington) 2 years ago which appeared unfired and unissued.
I tried it @ 400y and after several windage sighters, was amazed to hold 10 shots in the bull on a std Bisley target using the battle sight,and a central aim.
In fact I can shoot tighter groups with the battle sights than the ladder,must be an eye thing.
The calibration on the ladder prints the shots very high .I have to use 6 o clock hold on 200 and 300 yards.
I dont like the lowest setting as I find the furniture balks my sight picture.
Cheers Rob T

Posts: 64 | Location: Merseyside,England | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello;
According to "Small Arms Manual" by Brig. J.A. Barlow ,which was a WW ll training manual to familarize Home Guard units with various weapons,allied and enemy, the battle sight on the P14 and P17 are set for 400 yards.
grizz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that's what i was lookin for. thanks guys. it's always a pleasure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The ladder sight on my P-17 shoots to point of aim at 50 yds when the sight is bottomed out. At the first "click" it is on at 100 yds, using Danish ball ammo. Nice sights, just wish they had put a real windage adjustment in.

Posts: 324 | Location: Fairbanks Alaska USA | Registered: 10 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom: thank you. good info. i have a lot of that Danish ammo. thanks again. i wonder where you get a zero when your ladder is down?? the concensus is about 400 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
400 yards sounds about right, If I get a chance to measure and compare to the ladder sight I'll let you know.

TF

Posts: 324 | Location: Fairbanks Alaska USA | Registered: 10 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill:

I hunted up the rifle and measured the sight in the down and ladder up position. On MY RIFLE the down peep corresponds to about 350 yds on the ladder. Whether or not that is where it will shoot, I can't say at present.