New
Find
Notify
Tools

Intro military rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to start shooting military rifle matches at my conservation club. Per the rules I need to be shooting an unmodified military rifle. I believe my choices are pretty much Garand, 1903A3' or military sporterized 03. I am a big fan of the 1903 and I guess I would prefer a military version Sporter. What can I expect in terms of price for a non-messed with rifle?

I hope to be able to become part of the CMP program once I participate in a shoot or two.

Thank you,

JDG

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some had one for sale a few days in the classifieds.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most will accept an M1-A, civilian version of the M14. That would be my first pick as I shot competition with it for years, including service rifle matches. Garand would be my second choice (shot service rifle matches with it as well). The 1903 or '03-A3 would be good if you wanted a bolt gun. Don't know much if anything about AR's.

Posts: 10032 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RVL III:
Some had one for sale a few days in the classifieds.

I have looked at it and it is a very nice rifle. Unfortunately it has been drilled and tapped for a scope and I would prefer a rifle that has not been modified.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Most will accept an M1-A, civilian version of the M14. That would be my first pick as I shot competition with it for years, including service rifle matches. Garand would be my second choice (shot service rifle matches with it as well). The 1903 or '03-A3 would be good if you wanted a bolt gun. Don't know much if anything about AR's.

I may go with a Garande. They are definitely easiere to find. As for the AR's I have a LMT that is a gas to shoot but like most "black" guns it really doesn't move me like older firearms.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
There is something about wood and steel. I'd get a CMP Garand, go with the service grade H&R for $625. The H&R's are a little tighter toleranced than the Springfields.

If you go the customized Garand route it will be the same price as the M1A from Springfield Armory.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would get the best grade Garand rifle from the CMP you can afford.

The Garand is a fun rifle to compete with.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote