Find
Notify
Tools

Strange Rear sight for Swede
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Fellas,

I came across a rear sight for a Swede rifle. It is a repalcemant for the ladder sight. It has a large dial in the center that is graduated 100 to 750 in 25m increments. If I recall, the sight is labeled
"SM sitke fram". If I put this sight on my M96, would the front sight (stamped "0") be OK???

Any more info on this rear sight?

Thanks.

Posts: 54 | Location: Burns, Oregon | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Went back to get more information on the sight and it is stamped:

"SM, Sikte, ASJ, RAM"

Posts: 54 | Location: Burns, Oregon | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The book "Crown Jewels, The Mauser in Sweden" has a picture of your sight on pg 211. As I read it, it says that this is a civilian SM sight, calibrated for civilian pointed ammunition. It was supposed to have been made for the M96, so the front post should work. Though if you're not shooting the same ammo as the calibration, all bets are off, of course.

Eric

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same sight on my 1920 production Swede Mauser....

Using 160 grain loads at 2400 to 2500 fps or so.. it is fairly accuate.. for open sites....

Actually if you have a round disk on the right side of your rifle as mine does.. that info on their is suppose to correspond to the info about the site.... but I don't speak swedish... so I can't say for sure....

cheers
seafire
beer

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find most of the rear sights on the M96 Swedish mausers are at their lowest setting still about 3" high at 100yds. They don't become dead on until you out beyond about 200yds. or more. At least this is true with my rifle. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3" high at 100 yds...that's pretty much a heart shot with a "center of mass" hold out to 250 yds...works for me!!

I did get 120gr loads to shoot to 150 yds zero with issue sights all the way down last summer. I was also getting about 6" groups if I recall correctly.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew these sights as the micrometer sights. I had 2 take offs from a project quite some time back and gave them to a restorer from this site. derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote