Find
Notify
Tools

.223 or 7.69x39mm
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
in your opinion which is a better choice of caliber for survival in the Ruger mini-14 or mini-30 the 223 or the 7.62 and please state why you would choose one over the other. Thanks Tanoose

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would use either. just not with a ruger in a mini 30 or the mini 14. get another gun........ that shoots better and more accurate. maybe a ak or saiga.

steve

Posts: 14 | Location: marshall mo | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Probably the .223, it weighs less and has a little longer range. But only go for head shots on game since there is not much knockdown power. The mini's are ok (small and light) I'd personally use an AR.

Posts: 1 | Location: OH | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The soviet 7.62 is pretty close to what a 30-30 accomplishes, and I think a 30-30 would be a pretty decent choice for a one-rifle-does-it-all piece, so from my inexperienced point of view, I'd take the 7.62.

If "survival" involves a SHTF scenario, though, 223 may be more readily available. In the west at least.

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wallpep:
Probably the .223, it weighs less and has a little longer range. But only go for head shots on game since there is not much knockdown power. The mini's are ok (small and light) I'd personally use an AR.

Not much knockdown? Ever hear of the DC sniper? All 1 shot stops, with mostly marginal torso hit's, from a 14.5" carbine, shooting low powered Wolf ammo. I call that spectacular performance, something the military has known since Vietnam.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Major Caliber, I've got news for you!! The military has been complaining about the stopping (not killing) power of the new ball ammo since they started shooting Talibaners in Afghanistan. Now they are working on a ".270" of some kind, that sounds like a .277 bullet stuffed into a .223 case, to replace the 5.56mm (at least for some troops). It would require only a rebarrel job for an M16, and would be able to use present magazines!

I favor the 7.62X39 vs the 5.56mm. I use pointed 150 grain bullets or 180-grain .311" round nose Speers in my SKS!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stolivar:
...not with a ruger in a mini 30 or the mini 14. get another gun........ that shoots better and more accurate. maybe a ak or saiga.

steve

I agree. Unless I lived in Kalifornia I would not even consider a Mini of any sort.

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Why dont you guys like the ruger mini14 or mini 30 i have heard alot about accuracy. My friend had one and he couldn't group in a quarter at 100 yds he got a 3" group at best,. OK so whats wrong with that ,guys there made for close range shooting. Back when the mini 14 came out i had one in 223 always hit its mark and never jammed. And thanks for all your replys i have decided to go withthe 7.62x39, its more powerful then the 223 and i think its the better choice for survival . thanks again Tanoose

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Tanoose
My Mini-30 was capable of 1.5" groups with several different loads. But, it had a "wandering zero"! It would shoot a 5-shot, 1.5" group today. I would zero it, and fire 5 more to confirm the zero, and when I was satisfied with the location of the group, I'd put it away. The next day, I'd take it back to the bench, and fire another group. It would INVARIABLY be four or five inches above, below, or to the right or left of where the last group was the day before! I glassed it in, using the same type of adjustments used to build a NM M1 or M14, and that made no difference, zero continued to change from one day to the next. This was in Central Texas, so it was not due to moisture causing constant warping of the wood, and after glassing, there was no longer any possibility of warpage anyway, but something kept that zero moving!! I finally got rid of it and bought a cheapie Chinese SKS. This thing only shoots 2.5" groups, but they're always in the same place!! Now I want a CZ in 7.62X39. It's a real nice little cartridge!!

<Roundbutt>
posted
The 7.62x39 in a Ruger has a .308 barrel. And it does not like the cheap ammo.
If you want a 7.62x39 get a sks. The .223 ruger is a great gun if it took m16 mags it would even be better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose,
If you like those Mini-30s I'll sell you mine.
Email me.

one of us
Picture of badgerrr
posted Hide Post
Lemme ditto what eldeguello said. It's kinda scary actually, but my story is almost EXACTLY like his. The wandering zero - no matter what I did with it. Mine jammed it's fair share too.

Sold it off to a guy at work.

Bought an SKS and have been tickled pink ever since. Now that's a machine I can count on...and hit something with! [Big Grin]

Posts: 107 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
The Rugers used to be 308 but not for a long time they all now are .311. I beleive they switched over in 1991.

posted Hide Post
The .223 has plenty of stopping power when loaded with a 70 gr. bullet. Most of the "varmint" loads people use are in the 40 gr. weight.

Both calibers are intended BY THE MILITARY for ranges under 300 yds. The .223 works beyond that range when loaded with the lighter bullets.

The 7.62 X 39 pushes a 122 gr. bullet in 30 cal. These were tearing down trees, limbs and anything else that got in the way in the Viet Nam jungles. The .223 was mostly getting deflected by the foliage.

The Ruger mini's used to have barrel problems. Ruger has fixed the problem. Nonetheless, I'd opt for something else. For defense an AK-47 variant. For actually hunting, a .223 in bolt action . . . although if going to a bolt action for hunting, I'd go to a .270 or even a 30 cal. chambering.

<El Viejo>
posted
Per my conversation with Ruger factory service, the Mini 30 does not like to eat comblock ammo, so if you are thinking of buying Wolf etc, get something else.

Which gun is best for "survival"? It depends on what you are trying to survive. If it is men, anarchy, civil insurection,invasion etc, go for the .223, especially since you could draw ammo domestically, if necessary.

If you are thinking of a general survival weapon, one used for protection and hunting mid to large game, think in terms of a .308.

If you are in an urban environment and are trying to survive anarchy, a good pump shotgun would be a necessity. (along with about 500# of rice and 100# beef jerky [Big Grin] )

Do you reload? .223 is easier and cheaper to buy components for. How many rounds are you going to stock? Anything over 5000 will probably pay for you to buy a Dillon 550b progressive press.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was wild about the Mini 14 concept, my brother let me try his for a couple of weeks and it just would not group, ANYTHING!

A few years later I bought a Mini 30, it went away at a gunshow 3 weeks later, same story.

I bought a Romanian SKS, for $139.99, found the FMJ and the H.P. ammo it liked and bought 2000 rounds of each, stored the wood stock and put it in a V.C. red fiberglass stock.

I wouldn't trade it for 2 Minis of either flavor.

For SHTF/URBAN ESCAPE- buy a SAR 1 and about 4-5 used 30 round mags.

For rural subsistence, SHTF,run for cover, shoot a deer-- Buy a good SKS,50 stripper clips, find a hollow point it will group and buy a case or two.

Hell, for the price of a new Mini, you can buy a SAR 1 and an SKS, if you shop around.

You can get a SAR 1 from AIM SURPLUS FOR $279.99
I know where I can get several good SKS' at local pawnshops for $150.00
You can order 7.62x 39 from $59.99-$79.00 per 1,000, on line.
So for around $579.99 + tax and shipping you can get the whole shebang.

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I had a Mini-14 once, it just wouldn't group at all. sprayed bullets all over the place. It was a big disappointment because the mini-14 is such cool looking handy rifle. If I ever came across one that grouped well (1"-1.5"@100yds)I'd keep it for ever.

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always wondered why the Mini 14s were such poor groupers. Mine sure was.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
My first two rifles in .223 were mini-14's.I was impressed by the round but not the rifle.You can't clean them from the breech,if you don't strip it all the way down,and hit the bolt with the rod,the action releases and slams the end of your jag or brush.It has a whippy little barrel,Not all that great accuracy,,Get yourself an H-bar and be much happier!!!!![of nearly any make and cal.]Sold/traded both of my mini's a long time ago for much better pieces,,,no room in my vault for another.Clay.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote