New
Find
Notify
Tools

m-1 garands
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
time to show my ignorance....again. I am looking at buying a m-1 garand. when looking at the cmp they list a host of various manufacturers. what should I be looking for ? Did one manufacturer make a better weapon than another company? Some of your wisdom would help.
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
For shooting, Springfield would be my first pick. Winchester my last.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how do the saginaws, underwoods,ibms rate?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john post:

They made M1 Carbines, not Garands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before I'd submit to a "pick off the stack" rifle from CMP, I'd shop for a Garand at a gun show or from a shop. There's a lot of variation in condition on a Garand.

I found a 1943 Springfield (dated from the serial number, found online) which had new wood and looked like it'd never been fired. This from a gun show about a decade ago for $600.

These days I see Garands which are pretty beat up, dinged, bruised for the same price. I haven't priced one lately. I'd be inclined to go with a Springfield, but mostly I'd want to see it, pick it out in person.

Sorta like getting married. Pick one out, and then you're going to live with it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pony up the cash for a 'Springfield Special'. I can't wait until mine finally comes. 180 day wait, currently.

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will NOT find a $600 Garand at a gunshow any more, unless it is below average. CMP is a great place to get a Garand. Just get the service grade and shoot it.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen several DCM and CMP Garands.

Although this was a few years back, all of them were in good shape and shot good.

I would think about getting one form them and some ammo too.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
quote:
Originally posted by john post:

They made M1 Carbines, not Garands.

Right! International Harvester made some good Garands........

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I paid $350 and $400 for a couple Denmark Garands 12 years ago at a gun show.

They are like so many other rifles that just stay in the safe.

Meanwhile the Ruger #1s seem to get shot.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would join a CMP club and get myself a CMP Garand. They are the best Garands on the market, they are checked for dimension.

When I went to CMP South I took a throat erosion gage and a muzzle gage. I found a couple of rifles that had very little barrel wear, had a lot of finish. I found a rebuild with a new barrel, and a HRA with a new HRA barrel.

All Garands met military specifications. The Winchesters look like they were chewed out of bar stock by angry beavers. Winchesters also command premium prices. I really doubt you will find an affordable all matching Winchester. Same for a IHC.

If I were ordering from the CMP I would order a late Springfield Armory or a HRA. These late model rifles are less likely to have seen a lot of use. The late SA's are outstanding examples of fine metal finish and fit. The HRA's are excellent well built rifles.

The Korean era rifles all show better machine work and metal finishes than the WWII versions.

You can buy an all correct late SA from the CMP for $950.00. They are well worth it. The ones I saw looked un issued, very few dings on the wood or metal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tnekkcc
one of us

Posted 28 May 2009 21:12 Hide Post
I paid $350 and $400 for a couple Denmark Garands 12 years ago at a gun show.

They are like so many other rifles that just stay in the safe.

Meanwhile the Ruger #1s seem to get shot.

I got one of those my own self A Danish refurbished with a VAR barrel what a shooter !.

My best one hands down ever is a Springfield 1943 unissued completely matching with a beautiful

walnut stock . It was still packed in Cosmoline and came from the Anniston Depot out of Alabama !.

A DCM TREASURE that was not a refurbished but an unissued Rifle for $ 165.00 I believe is what it

cost back then !. I got another one for $250.00 and the last one for $400.00 The Danish model was

$250.00 and the Greek was $ 400.00 , by far the cheapest one is THE GEM ! Never had a round down it

either
. I'll post a picture of it next time I open the safe . archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hate to say this, but for my first ann. my wife bought me a Garand at Woolworth's in Houston for $325.00 16yrs ago. LORD knows I should have bought a butt load more for that price. I have killed an 8 pnt and doe with that gun. It will also be my shooter for this years hunt. Just changed stocks to a new one she also bought me. Set it up for battlefield zero. All I have to do is raise it up. Shot 16 rounds(8 Greek and 8 dancingrds 150grn rnsp) just a little low at 75 yards. what a gun, what a wife !

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Suggest that you visit www.cmp.com and check out the rifles they have for sale. visited the CMP South in Anniston, AL on Friday. They have Springfields with mixed parts, fair barrels and new CMP Cartouched stock for $795.00. The rack grade guns started at $475.00.

The CMP forums will give you a good idea of what is going on at the North and South stores. There is a very active discussion about the quality and type of guns available.

Old Doug In GA.

Posts: 3 | Location: Griffin, GA | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Opps Civilian Marksmanship Program is

www.odcmp.com OD

Posts: 3 | Location: Griffin, GA | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
kingd
one of us

Posted 14 September 2009 22:41 Hide Post
Hate to say this, but for my first ann. my wife bought me a Garand at Woolworth's in Houston for $325.00 16yrs ago. LORD knows I should have bought a butt load more for that price. I have killed an 8 pnt and doe with that gun. It will also be my shooter for this years hunt. Just changed stocks to a new one she also bought me. Set it up for battlefield zero. All I have to do is raise it up. Shot 16 rounds(8 Greek and 8 dancingrds 150grn rnsp) just a little low at 75 yards. what a gun, what a wife !

NRA Life Member

thumb beer
Lucky Son of a .....
killpc

Mine wouldn't know her ass from her elbow in a gun shop. The guy probably sell her a hunk of junk aka wall hanger at top dollar. lol
She was razed around them but could care less. Frowner
Great score, twice over! beer

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I would go with CMP off-the-rack standard. Can't be beat for value.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13466 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James, I don't want to rub salt into the wound, but all I did was that it would be cool to have a gum like my Dad used in WWII. jumping

NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Are you guys aware that the Korean (South Of course)Government is about to sell a potful of Garands and carbines to the highest American bidder?

CMP won't be involved as these are not loaners as the Greek and Danish ones are.

Some are said to be unissued in crates.

Hope Mitchell's doesn't get the bid. Smiler

Covey16

Funny,After a rotten war like this,how hard it is to leave- Duncan Grinell-Milne

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kingd:

Newberry's Downtown also had Garands and carbines at one time.. Smiler

Funny how times change, I own a Browning Sweet 16 and a Sako Forrester purchased at Sears.

One or both rode in the gunrack of my truck when it was parked in my high school parking lot during the fall.
They weren't the only ones there and amazeingly no one was killed.

Can you imagine an open carry automatic shotgun in a high school parking lot these days?

Covey16

Funny,After a rotten war like this,how hard it is to leave- Duncan Grinell-Milne

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jerry H
posted Hide Post
M1 for sale

The guy selling it is a solid member. I have been around FalFiles for a few years and have noted the seller as a stand up guy.

Of course I know fu**all about the specific rifle. Add a new set of wood (easily obtained) even unto a new Criterion barrel and you'll likely have a fine shooter.

I bought a stripped receiver from CMP a few years ago, found a kit at the Houston Gun Collector's Assn Show, bought CMP wood and a Criterion barrel. Fit, headspace, blast-park, oil wood, my M-1 is a beauty and shoots well. From prone, I can tear the center out of an SR-1 reduced target (100 yards) and have scored handily at John C Garand matches with it.

I say all that not to brag, make no mistake. I attempt to demonstrate that one can take a used base Garand and make it be what you want. Time is wasting though. I would not di*k around long if I wanted an M-1.

My $0.02 and worth near that. patriot

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

Posts: 44 | Location: East of Houston | Registered: 09 October 2009Reply With Quote