New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Good AK???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The SAR-1 is a good gun. Make sure it is a double column, hi-cap mag capable, as they also make some stupid single column, 10 shot mag only guns.

There are some really good Ak47 sites that show how to tweak them to get the most out of them, including how to "bump-fire" or simulate full-auto fire out of a semi-auto weapon.

I hear that the 5.45x39mm round is become much more available, so the Ak74 clones they make would be cool, too!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree, I've heard good stuff from the SAR-1, which is a semi auto AK47 clone. There is also a SAR-2 which is the 74 clone, and a SAR3 which fires .223 I think.

http://southernohiogun.com/surplus_rifles.html

From what I hear this place usually has decent stuff, and thier SAR1s are like $290, plus shipping and FFL transfer. There are also a bunch of other styles, different stocks and stuff.

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.ak-47.us/SAR-1.htm

http://www.ak47world.com/info.html

Trigger slap is an issue with some of the guns, though not impossible to deal with.

Also an interesting email there about US troops in Iraq using AKs over M16s in Iraq.

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the US soldiers using the AKs wasn't in lieu of M16s, it was soldiers who were normally assigned M9s using AKs. It lasted about a week, until the chain of command realized they were doing it and had people that were going out on patrol with M9s swap with people who sat behind a desk, yet were issued M16s.

That, and everyone wanted an AK, because it "looked cool."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ahh, well that makes sense. I'd feel much more secure with an AK over any pistol

one of us
Picture of TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
Once I get in theater I will definitely find something to suplement the M9 I am currently issued. I said suplement, not replace.

Bob

Posts: 361 | Location: Stevens Point, WI, USA | Registered: 20 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
Cool! Thanks for the replies. I can't wait to get one, probably near summer...

What's the performance and durability like???

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Uhhhh, very AK-like?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Uhhhh, very AK-like?

Ahh, yes, the legendary performance of the renouned Kalishnikov . . .

In my experience, you can expect flawless function (given good mags), power about on line with a light-loaded .30-30 and mediocre accuracy. Although some people say they get MOA accuracy with their rifle, I've never seen one do better than about 3-4 MOA, IMO mainly due to the rudimentary sights, although average fit and finish do not lead you to expect much better, no matter what sights. Ammo can be really cheap, if you can use the milsurp FMJ's or the "Wolf" brand stuff.

The "trigger slap" issue is due to the bolt forcing the hammer to hit the trigger after release, due to a clearance problem that can be solved with minor work. After pulling the trigger, the rifle fires and the trigger jumps back forward against your finger, with quite a bit of force. Some say that it is caused by aftermarket US made parts being installed for legality, but experts say the style rifle is also a factor. Looking at the trigger, where it enters the bottom of the receiver, some have two receiver cuts forward of the trigger, some have one. The models with one cut are said to slap, while the two-cut models don't have this problem.

More info: AK47 forums

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Norinco AK that came cheap. Fair black finish, functions very well with Wolf ammo. The trigger pull is verrrry long and mushy, but with the short barrel and crappy sights, it doesn't hurt when I'm shooting short range targets. Just a 'fun gun' really. I put a Choate skeleton (Dragunov style) stock on it, better than the crap original post-ban stock but still not as comfortable as a regular pistol grip would be.

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you "click the link" included above? I believe they have instructions on how to "legally" convert a post-ban gun into a "legal" pistol grip gun. They have the "recipe" for what US-made parts you need to put on to make it legal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got an SLR-95 which is a Bulgarian heavy milled reciever and thumb hole stock.
I drilled and tapped and put a scope on it.
I did a trigger job [just take up].

It shoots well, but lacks the accuracy and light weight ammo of the AR15.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trigger slap - I heard heard about it on AK's but not the other Kalash style weapons, but I see it can happen - was firing a borrowed Romanian PSL rifle slowly and carefully off the bench and got got slapped. I observed that if you just jerk the trigger, it doesn't hurt, but if you apply the proper fundamentals it will. I understand the why from an earlier post above.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
have two receiver cuts forward of the trigger, some have one.

These cuts are related to semi auto or select fire trigger.

Not linked to slap. I have used almost all versions of AK; AKM or derived from AK (Valmet, Galil etc)
It is a matter of distance between the axis holes drilled on the receiver, matter of tolerances.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I had a Valmet 76 .223 back in the day that would shoot just about MOA at 100 with the factory peep sights. It was a great rifle, but my tastes changed and I sold it for 3x what I paid for it.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote